Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strangest thing or things you have ever eaten

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I have had intestine, tongue, and a whole little fried fish, fins eyes and all! It was good but I couldn't handle eating the head. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Meilyn's Avatar
    Follow Meilyn On Twitter Add Meilyn on Facebook
    Follow Meilyn on Tumblr
    I love pig brain and chicken brain? Quite delicious :| and in some Asian stores they have this pork skin thing that looks and feels like carpet lol. I call it carpet. I like it too.

Oh! They also served this stuff in Japan (it was like the qui alert of bread on the table at a restaurant) where they bring this cup full of little tiny white raw fish that are whole. They soak in some marinade/seasoned juice and you just eat a bite of several with your chopsticks. They were actually quite good.

Strangest thing I have eaten is jellyfish cut into little noodle like strips... The taste and texture is pretty much like you would expect, very rubbery!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kate Silverfin View Post
    Strangest thing I have eaten is jellyfish cut into little noodle like strips... The taste and texture is pretty much like you would expect, very rubbery!
    I've eaten raw jellyfish before. Its quite tasty. During Chinese New Year, there is a dish made with cooked jellyfish, its made in a huge plate. Everyone gets a pair of chopsticks and the higher you toss it, the better your luck will be for the coming year.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Look for a local Asian food market. The local one here has stingray from time to time. For the record, some places serve stingray and call them scallops, since they taste the same.
    I hate it when I pay for scallops, like, actual scallops, and then they trick me with ray fin. I know you're not supposed to tell the difference, but I really can. It's not that one tastes better than the other so much as one is more expensive, and damn it, I want my money's worth!
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

i'd say.. sea urchin.

i lied. Beef liver and onions. ew...
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Look for a local Asian food market. The local one here has stingray from time to time. For the record, some places serve stingray and call them scallops, since they taste the same.
    I've actually checked- there are three local asian markets, and they all told me that if I DID find a source, they want to kmow about it, lol.
    Can't belive I forgot about haggis! It's a traditional Scottish dish that consists of the heart, liver, lungs and some suet of a sheep stuffed into the stomach along with herbs, onions, and oatmeal, then you boil the whole thing. It's a VERY fatty dish (due to the suet) and if you try drinking something cold with the meal your entire mouth with be coated in hardened fat! But if you can avoid that, it's very tasty. Although, the frickin' FDA doesn't consider sheep lungs as edible, so to make it you have to butcher your own sheep.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
    I hate it when I pay for scallops, like, actual scallops, and then they trick me with ray fin. I know you're not supposed to tell the difference, but I really can. It's not that one tastes better than the other so much as one is more expensive, and damn it, I want my money's worth!
    Typically if you cut the scallop in half and the meat flakes vertically it's scallop, otherwise it's a ray. Though once I tried that and the scallop meat unrolled like toilet paper. Processed whitefish I'd assume.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Morgann's Avatar
    The mighty waters of the Great Salt Lake.
    Add Mermaid Morgann on Facebook

I've had some pretty strange things. The more "mild" ones include pickled chicken's feet, pickled pig's ear, squid ink french toast, and rocky mountain oysters (also known as the "best of the bull").

Then there's the weird stuff. Blood pudding (also known as black pudding), thousand-year-old egg (an egg fermented underground), and, the worst, balut. Balut is a hard-boiled duck embryo which, in my opinion, is absolutely nasdisgusting. It's feathery and crunchy and I do not recommend it.
    Last edited by Mermaid Morgann; 09-09-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    RAINBOWS AND MERMAIDS

ARE PROOF THAT IMAGINATION AND BEAUTY

GO HAND IN HAND.

-B. FITZGERALD

oo i want to try haggis
    The SeaGlass Siren

I've had beef tongue, chicken feet, goose neck, jellyfish and some other things I actually wasn't quite sure what it was haha. I lived in China a while back, so that's where the majority of my strange food eats came from. I tasted shark fin soup too, which I never want to do again after I learned about the issue with finning ages ago.
    I also refuse to eat lamb or deer though haha, they're just some of my favourite animals so I couldn't imagine consuming them.

I almost had monkey brains at one time. It was a local restaurant in a village a few hours outside Beijing, but the method was horrible. It wasn't hard for me to decide to not even go into the place. Couldn't even imagine.

Besides that, I really do love jellyfish. I thought they were clear beef flavoured noodles from the taste and appearance, but it was jellyfish.

yeah mainland china is pretty disgusting (been there done that, I'M HALF) down to they way they cook their food, to what they eat... yeech...
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    When we went to China on our first adoption, our guide said "we eat everything with wings except an airplane, everything with legs except a table, and everything that swims except a boat."
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

I loved China though. They really do have some of the best food. I cringe every time my friends here in the states order 'Chinese' and I just have to laugh. They have no idea what real Chinese food is.
    Some is terrible (just like every other place has off putting food) but what is good, is delicious! I've found very few authentic places here, and I never want them to leave hahah!

Oh I've also had alligator. Not too fond of that. Comparable to chicken and fish all at once. Chicken-y flavour, fish texture. My mouth was so confused.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Its like watching adults eat raw oysters on youtube. Most gag and spew before they've even tasted it!

I'll try every food at least once, if I don't like it, I never eat it again. Ya never know until you try it, is what I always tell my nephew and niece when they turn their noses up at unfamiliar foods.

Typically if you cut the scallop in half and the meat flakes vertically it's scallop, otherwise it's a ray. Though once I tried that and the scallop meat unrolled like toilet paper. Processed whitefish I'd assume.
    Damn. What a way to get gypped.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ireneho View Post
    Its like watching adults eat raw oysters on youtube. Most gag and spew before they've even tasted it!

I'll try every food at least once, if I don't like it, I never eat it again. Ya never know until you try it, is what I always tell my nephew and niece when they turn their noses up at unfamiliar foods.
    This reminds me of my cousin the first time she ate tongue. She didn't want any, but her mom made her try one little bite. She ran back to the kitchen and demanded a full serving, lol.
    Raw oysters are literally the only local delicacy I haven't tried. I just have a hard time with the fact that it's technically alive.
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Merin View Post

I've had some pretty strange things. The more "mild" ones include pickled chicken's feet, pickled pig's ear, squid ink french toast, and rocky mountain oysters (also known as the "best of the bull").

Then there's the weird stuff. Blood pudding (also known as black pudding), thousand-year-old egg (an egg fermented underground), and, the worst, balut. Balut is a hard-boiled duck embryo which, in my opinion, is absolutely nasdisgusting. It's feathery and crunchy and I do not recommend it.

fyi fermented egg these days they just put chemicals so that the egg ferments faster... technically its cancerous but EEEYYYY CHINA!
    not sure how it is in canada tho. i hear rules for making fermented eggs are stricter here.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Member Pod of the Midwest
    Balut was interesting... also had tarantula, while down in the Amazon... fried locust, chocolate covered ants, alligator, yellowjacket stew... and of course, frog legs
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes" Oscar Wilde