Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Strangest thing or things you have ever eaten

Quote Originally Posted by Kishiko View Post
    Yeah I had that in Japan its super popular over there. It was actually one of my favorite snacks.
    how do you get past the saltiness of it?
    "What can you see, On the horizon? Why do the white gulls call? Across the sea, A pale moon rises.. The ships have come to carry you home."

The stuff I ate wasn't that salty, compared to other things. I actually liked to suck the seasoning off before chewing it. I actually have a package in my kitchen my host family sent me after I got back lol

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    My dad raised me on wild animals, we didnt have a lot of money and always ate bear and deer every year. But I have tried animals he trapped. (he'd sell the fur, and use the meat to bait a bear that we'd later eat) I've tried beaver (I know that sounds so wrong) squirrel, and duck, and pheasant. Not really a fan. but with deer and bear I grew up one it, it always seemed normal

Oh I've tried cured char, (arctic fish) and bison, and seal meat (from up North where they live on it). I also tried emu.

Quote Originally Posted by Anahita View Post
    Oh, I also ate a starfish. My mom told me to hold it so she could take a picture of her little baby sea-faerie with the sea-star, and while she was getting the camera, I ate one of its legs... Ok, two of its legs. I think I liked it because it was crunchy.... I can't really recall my logic because I was only three years old at the time. But it being crunchy seems to make sense. My mom was horrified.
    You are one of my favorite people lol. That is too funny.

I really can't think of anything I've eaten that would be strange... like Anahita said, strange to one person is a cultural norm for others. My gf sometimes has filipino food that she loves, but I don't much care for. There's a shrimp/brine paste that you spread on sour mangoes that is her favorite. I tried it and was not a fan. I had "mushy peas" while in England and although it's a lot tamer than what most people have posted, it was weird to me.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I know of that shrimp brine paste! We have it in Singapore and in Asian food shops here in Australia too. Eat it with green mangos with a squeeze of lime. MMMM! Mum also uses it to make a type of fermented roasted chilli paste. We call it Blachan. It stinks up the whole place when cooking, but it tastes sooo good!

I want to add to the beaver joke so bad, but I won't.

Duck is a tricky bird, because it really needs to be "undercooked" to taste good. I think most people try to cook it like chicken, and in reality, duck breast should be cooked like Americans cook steak. I love duck l'orange. The Court of Two Sisters in New Orleans makes really good duck l'orange. They also make an excellent turtle soup.

Oh, yeah, I've eaten turtle, duh, that one is weird, even for me. Persians don't eat reptiles (I want to explain why, but I think it'd sound racist in English, so I'd better not), and here I am eating gator and turtle and frogs legs.... They don't know what they're missing.

I like sour mangoes, but I think the shrimp brine paste would be too much for me.

I also forgot to say I've eaten a peacock. I didn't think that was odd since they're related to pheasants and turkeys, but since pheasant got listed, maybe I should mention the peacock. I've eaten pheasant, too, at a few historical events. I liked it. Maybe it was because I was in costume that made me like it a lot. Atmosphere really affects how I perceive things tasting. It won't make my final judgement, but it has the ability to make something that tastes good normally taste SPECTACULAR if the setting is right.

Don't ask me about the peacock though, I feel bad about it Actually, I'll just admit it, because I feel better confessing to how it happened than pretending someone offered it to me like the circumstances were normal.

My cousin accidentally hit it when she was reversing, and it died. So she asked me what we should do with it, and I said "I don't know, I can't believe we've just killed him." and she said "Well, maybe let's not let him go to waste? It's not forbidden...." Her husband was kind of pissed, because he loved that bird, but she kept telling him that he needed to hire a contractor to build an enclosure for him (the bird had a habit of hanging around their cars as well as tormenting their dogs) and he never did it. So... that's that. I still feel bad about eating Freddie (her husband had actually named the bird after himself, that's how much he loved it) but on the other hand.... He didn't go to waste I guess.

Their new peacock has an enclosure now, needless to say.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

roast peking duck is fully cooked, but it's pressure cooked so all the fat sits under the skin and all the meat is at the bottom and it becomes super moist and sooo good.

i want to know about the reptile eating, anahita :P expect an inbox message
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    The only weird things that I have eaten are Nilgai and Oryx (types of antelopes). The Nilgai was ok but the Oryx was delicious.

oh caribou I've tried too

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Once when we were in Beijing, we ate at a restaurant that served duck. I don't eat birds (48 year old fussy eater, here) but others did. Our driver requested and and was served the head of the duck.

"Look" I said "He got stuck with the bill."
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

OH OH BISON MEATLOAF. first time ever tried it and i fell in love with it. SOOOOO YUMMY...
    The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Once when we were in Beijing, we ate at a restaurant that served duck. I don't eat birds (48 year old fussy eater, here) but others did. Our driver requested and and was served the head of the duck.

"Look" I said "He got stuck with the bill."

oh man that was a good one.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    roast peking duck is fully cooked, but it's pressure cooked so all the fat sits under the skin and all the meat is at the bottom and it becomes super moist and sooo good.

i want to know about the reptile eating, anahita :P expect an inbox message
    I forgot about Peking duck! Yeah, that's the only fully cooked duck I think I've had that I liked it fully cooked. My dad's ex-gf used to bring it over for dinner every so often.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

love peking duck. LOOOOVE.
    The SeaGlass Siren

I've had crocodile and sea cucumber as the most strange I have eaten. I would also list kangaroo, but it's normal to eat that here and we eat it often!

I've always craved coal-roasted goanna though. One day....

Add Vixy on Facebook
    I've had jellyfish with noodles. I thought the noodles tasted a bit odd and managed to find the packet and found I was eating jellyfish.

Different and weird for me is shellfish. Recently retried scallops and found them really nice.

Horse in Holland, deer, ostrich, pheasant, pigeon, kangaroo, ants. I've got zebra in the freezer to try with some pirate buddies one day. Might get some camel, crocodile and some other exotic meats.

I do really like seaweed, had flowers too and been in a wild foraging try out. So ate a few 'weeds' and plants.

dandelion leaves are quite nice. loads of health benefits too. dont understand why anyone would want to get rid of them. if there was a zombie apocalypse you'd have an endless food supply!
    The SeaGlass Siren

Add Vixy on Facebook
    Dandelion jam is something what I want to one day make. That and stinging nettle soup and tea.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    roses actually taste pretty good