Thread: Cetus: The Merman of Hallandale Beach, Florida.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Pod of The South Cetus_The_Sapphire_Merman's Avatar

Cetus: The Merman of Hallandale Beach, Florida.

Hello, my name is Christopher.

You can call me Chris, but my Mer counterpart goes by another name; Cetus. Why Cetus? Well, let me explain. In Mythology, Cetus is a sea monster and loyal servant to Poseidon. Now, my counterpart is not a monster by any means. Embodying this creature helps me conquer my long standing fear of sea monsters. Cetus is, in fact, a warrior; he embodies strength, mystery, beauty and grace. Cetus is known for his monstrous size. In Hebrew, Cetus translates to whale or big fish, and that's exactly what my character is. He is a big fish, literally, a whale amongst those in the mer community, lol. Cetus is a merman known for his massive size and unquestionable power, and yet, he harbors a gentle nature and his compassionate heart extends to everyone in his community. He is the gentle giant of the seven seas, but he will bring out his warrior attributes if necessary.

Now that I have shred some light on my character, allow me to introduce myself. I, Chris, have been fascinated with Mer-people from a very early age; what I love most about them is their elegance, beauty and mystery. No matter how ominous or foreboding they are perceived to be, they always have been supernaturally beautiful and their elegance, mystery and grace has left a lasting impression on me. Despite what I have read and imagined Mer-people to be in my head, there is one movie that changed my life and has given me so much in return. Maybe you've heard of it. Can you guess what movie I'm talking about? Of course, I'm talking about The Little Mermaid. That movie has such profound meaning in my life, and it still has a heavy influence on me to this very day. That movie gave birth to my love of swimming, and it has also put me on the path of my musical career, for I am a classical trained singer, whose voice is as big as his size, but I digress. The Little Mermaid is the foundation of my Mer existence, and it always will be. When I was younger, when I would watch the opening titles to TLM, I always imagined that the silhouette of the Merman following the gold fish was me, and I still think it is. I always will. That movie is so important to me and my Mer Counterpart, all of my tails will be inspired by the TLM. Tails that radiate in the deepest hue of sapphire blue and gradient into a beautiful tint of Cerulean. I have no tails at the moment. All I have is a monofin, but I hope to one day have a tail of my own. I'll start with a fabric tail, and then I hope to one day have a silicone tail made by the legendary Finfolk productions. That is my ultimate goal. Maybe even one from another talented tail maker. Who knows. For insight on what I want my tail to look like, here are a few images that I found on the internet. I altered their appearance to show what I am looking for. I asked the tail maker's permission before hand.

http://i61.tinypic.com/11c5qwy.png

(Artwork belongs to Cory Jensen. His work is amazing.)

http://i59.tinypic.com/xavwh4.png

My goal is to establish my Mer identity and allow him to breathe and swim openly to his heart's content. I hope to make my dream come true and have a tail of my own one day. For any Mers in the South Florida area, I would love to meet you and get to know you; hopefully establish life long friendships. I also want to extend my heart to all the Mers here on Mernetwork and make life long friends with you as well. I promise to show kindess and respect to all Mers on this site, and I hope for the same in return. I am NOT here to start trouble. I am here to make real Mer friends, and I hope that when everyone thinks of Cetus ( and his human counterpart ) they see him not as the infamous sea monster, but as the gentle giant of grace, strength and beauty. All my love to everyone, and I hope we can all become great friends.

Love,

Cetus; the Gentle Giant of the Seven Seas.
    Last edited by Cetus_The_Sapphire_Merman; 09-17-2014 at 11:03 AM.