Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Yikes Mertailor bad review!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Firemaid's Avatar

Yikes Mertailor bad review!

Yikes! This Mertailor review is really bad. http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...848#post147848
    I feel just horrible for the mermaid who paid do much for this.
    It's shocking how bad the craftsmanship is. I feel really great about the price and quality of Sirenalia tails after seeing this.

I'm sorry mermaid Merin that this happened. I have some insight for you, that maybe can help a little.

-Don't use sil poxy to repair!!! It's a huge ripoff (it's just 100% silicone, the exact same thing the sell at the hardware store) and it doesn't work that well. I recommend just using more Dragonskin, this will hold up the best and give you the a more solid bond. If you email me I can walk you through the best way to do this.

-Use a sharp exaco knife to make the side fins match.

- If you email me I can explain how to paint the unpainted edges with the dragonskin you'll already have for repairs.

-The tail is probably one inch smaller on purpose, I do this as well to make sure they are a snug fit, he should have let you know before hand though.

-Nothing is "melted" That is not how silicone works. What you are seeing that looks melted is where they where sloppy with uncured silicone. Really sloppy.

I hope this helps and gives you a better understanding of what happened with your tail. Please feel free to contact me for any advice, I happy to help.

My Email address is Maria @ Sirenalia.com (no spaces)

yikes is right! its a shame too, when i saw the final product photo on erics facebook page it looked goregous

I can not understand why after so many years of practice and working his ways around silicone, someone as conceited as Eric, can make such bad work on a tail.
    This is beyond my understanding
    Last edited by Merman Arion; 09-13-2014 at 06:46 PM.

And for that huuuuuge amount of money...

thats horrible to spend 3k on a tail with all those inperfections plus two bras that cant even be worn! , he should have noticed himself that he made mistakes in the tail and restarted it ya know or fix it up

~mermaid cecelia~

Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Corabelle's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Corabelle On Twitter Add Mermaid Corabelle on Facebook Add Mermaid Corabelle on Google+
    Follow Mermaid Corabelle on Tumblr Visit Mermaid Corabelle's Youtube Channel
    Oh my. So sorry this happened to you Merin! *hugs* I can not believe this shoddy job! I hope that others who are considering which tailmaker to go with read your review, and make the educated decision to order from someone more reputable. He may be well-known, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't put his all into crafting something as special as a tail. These things are not cheap, and I would be furious if I saved and spent that much money on something that special and have so many issues with it. I hope the repairs are not that difficult for you to do, so your mermaids can swim in a tail they can be proud of and one that's durable.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    That is ridiculously bad! Shoddy workmanship all around.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I've seen carribean pearl's tail so I know he is capable of great work. The unfortunate thing is that he is really inconsistent and doesn't put all his effort into every tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    I've seen carribean pearl's tail so I know he is capable of great work. The unfortunate thing is that he is really inconsistent and doesn't put all his effort into every tail.
    Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Carribean Pearl's tail is falling apart and as a result, she never swims in it.

I pray my tail stays in good condition , I went on my 5th swim the other day , hit a side of my fin off my pool ladder two times on accident and I some paint scraped off and its showing thru pink

~mermaid cecelia~

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Follow Mermaid Melusinah On Twitter Add Mermaid Melusinah on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Melusinah's Youtube Channel
    Took a look at the pic on the review. did any one else notice that one hip fin is LARGE compared to other AND sits much higher on the hip :/ That is so disappointing... :/

When I got my tail he sent this like huge packet that pretty much says overall it can't be refunded and returned and stuff (and half a page of paper on tail care and like 4 business cards )

~mermaid cecelia~

what about repair?
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Morgann's Avatar
    The mighty waters of the Great Salt Lake.
    Add Mermaid Morgann on Facebook

I laughed when I read through his packet because I understood exactly why he sends it out. Thanks for the support, guys. The worst of it really was losing a fin before ever swimming in it. /: Definitely not what I was expecting! Some of his work is beautiful but I fear that he doesn't care much. He gets so much business that losing one customer over a crap job won't hurt him, as long as it's not someone famous. That and he already got the money so it doesn't matter what quality the tail is, right? Just a guy who came across as quite careless to me. I pray anyone else who got a tail from him doesn't have to go through this! It's traumatic for any mermaid. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

He offered to repaint it but said some of my issues are just "standard from the molds." Don't want to know what sort of mold he is using. My personal tail, a Merbella, is virtually flawless, so his molds must be overused considerably (or just not made as well).

Firemaid, thanks for the info! I assumed it had melted together in shipping because I like to believe that no tailmaker would just ship it like that but I've given up on the thought now. I'll definitely be emailing you soon since you seem to have a good idea of how I can go about fixing this up for my Siren Tide girls. Fingers crossed we can make something decent out of it! Once we touch up the spot where the fin fell off and paint it perhaps I'll share a few pictures. It will be one interesting scar when we are done! I also have big plans for the fin itself so if all goes well now, it might turn into something kind of cool. This nightmare will be made well, so help me!
    RAINBOWS AND MERMAIDS

ARE PROOF THAT IMAGINATION AND BEAUTY

GO HAND IN HAND.

-B. FITZGERALD

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Yikes Mertailor bad review!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    Actually, I heard from a reliable source that Carribean Pearl's tail is falling apart and as a result, she never swims in it.
    Ahhhhh well she wore it At the pacific coast mermaid festival and it looks fine but I did not see her swim in it. So that's one thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ugh, this is the scary thing about buying a tail, especially a really expensive one.
    You never know what you will get, and no refunds :/

About the fibers/hair issue, it sounds like he has a cat/dog.
    It's hard to get rid of pet hair, it always floats around and gets onto everything.

As a tailmaking business, one should make an extra effort to not paint hairs in though.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    ugh, this is the scary thing about buying a tail, especially a really expensive one.
    You never know what you will get, and no refunds :/

About the fibers/hair issue, it sounds like he has a cat/dog.
    It's hard to get rid of pet hair, it always floats around and gets onto everything.

As a tailmaking business, one should make an extra effort to not paint hairs in though.
    He has 2 dobermans which I have seen lying on/around his tails in pictures.

Name:  mertailor dogs.png
Views: 746
Size:  426.6 KB

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I thought cats because cats will always be curious and sit on everything you handle (I have no tail or clothes that aren't covered in cat hairs).
    It's one thing to let your pets on your personal things, but if you sell something, you should keep 'em away from it.

If those guys are walking over non-cured silicone, for example, that could very well explain some of the messed up pieces we've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Selene View Post
    He has 2 dobermans which I have seen lying on/around his tails in pictures.
    If I was a client, I would have never allowed that to happen. I mean, you don't know where those pawns have been!!! I don't really trust dogs. They can piss everywhere if they feel like it, even on a tail. Fuck no!