Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ksenia Evteeva - new tailmaker

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    I'm not upset at all. I just don't see why someone has to nitpick things like tiny scales towards the top of the fluke looking too much like a FinFolk tail. I think Ksenia makes beautiful tails. And I'm pretty sure there isn't a rule that says you can't use sarcasm...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    People copy Splash and H2o tails all the time
    in both cases the team that created them 100% endorse the public making their own versions. I've personally asked the splash tail team in person, and the h20 tail team online. I think it's pretty standard in ever art related community that people try to be original and members get annoyed when people make carbon copies. It's not like some new thing or unique to just the mermaid world this is the woman who made exact copies down to the last details of merbellas tails and defended it by saying Raven charges too much so it gave her a right lol.

Congrats Honeybeejoyce! That's a very beautiful tail! Gorgeous pics as well! <3

@AnnaAbyss- Things like tiny scales towards the top of the fluke and down the fluke rays was something that was exclusive to finfolk. Things like that become a signature for tailmakers and they bring in business because of that very reason. It's great to be innovative and to take someone else's ideas and put your own spin on it so it as seen as unique and as yours; however, when people start blatantly copying another's work, they could potentially be hurting the original artist, because that uniqueness of the original artists work and innovation is gone. Also, this community being as small as it is, copying can and most likely will have a negative impact. As an artist, I would hate for any of my ideas or designs to be copied, all my hard work in coming up with the design all for the credit to be given to someone else. There has to be a line drawn somewhere. It's just not okay. Sarcasm can also come off a bit rude, especially when used in a condescending tone/way.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only Finfolk fluke that used that "scales get smaller on the fluke" was this fluke design? [link]

Because, other than the whole "scales decrease in size" the two look absolutely nothing alike and I really don't see the resemblance at all.

Quote Originally Posted by exdraghunt View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only Finfolk fluke that used that "scales get smaller on the fluke" was this fluke design? [link]

Because, other than the whole "scales decrease in size" the two look absolutely nothing alike and I really don't see the resemblance at all.
    Actually, I think it's about this design :

Name:  11140103_465558863608057_415330397778737147_n.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  191.1 KB

Name:  11148544_473736446123632_7259132782845685969_n.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  145.8 KB

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I made smaller scales thatwent down into my fluke, but not as small as this, because I was laying individual scales, and I didn't sculpt ultra tiny scales into the veining.

Real fish like goldfish often have scales which get smaller towards their fins. It shouldn't be an issue for someone to want to incorporate that feature into their own tail. FinFolk don't own that feature. To be honest I want to do it on my next tail.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Fish, snakes, etc, have scales that gradually get smaller and smaller toward the tail end.
    This is how I did my tails, as well.

I hadn't heard of Finfolk doing it, but when you look at the pic, you can see it's a very special, artistic twist that is not found commonly, i.e. ultrasmall, scales "bleeding" into the fluke veins (making it look a bit like intricate jewelry).
    They did this as a touch of their own.

The whole discussion is about stealing such individual, artistic touches on purpose.
    Stop being obtuse?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Except some people believe that using small scales on the fluke is copying Finfolk. It is important to clarify the difference, as some people haven't made that distinction yet. Anna is bringing up a valid point that nobody else said yet.

I think this rabbit tail could be the start of an excellent examination of the difference between blatant copies and different interpretations.

Pretty much how I feel. Everyone on here is OK with copying til it happens to them

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    You said it. Creating carbon copies of another artist's work and creating your own version of a very well known work (like something in the media like Splash or H2O) are in different leagues. Splash and H2O aren't losing money because you make a tail like theirs, they don't sell tails and you're not trying to pass it off as the original Splash or H2O tail. When you copy another artists design because a client wanted it, you are in short stealing that potential business from the original designer.

Why wont anyone say she copied Kariel? She did the small scales on fluke first lol just teasing you guys! Come on peeps. I see she has done some copying yes but the recent tails are not total rip offs so give her a chance. We would need a potetial tailmaker, not in Eu but close still. I believe she didn't sell those copies? So it's more like being a hardcore fan than profiting on someone elses work right? Maybe she used familiar designs to perfect her skills before doing own work? Who knows. She wont match Raven's/FF's quality, atleast not yet. Not being rude here but realistic. Their work is so well put together only few can join that club

Edit edit

Just noticed that on her "small scales on fluke veins" design she has thicker veins with loads of scales on both sides of fluke. Have never seen that. Just saying.
    Last edited by Mermaid Riia; 06-29-2015 at 02:34 PM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Riiarin View Post
    I believe she didn't sell those copies?
    Of course she sold them.
    And she openly admitted making the copies on purpose, because her clients cannot afford the original.
    There are loads of people around who find this completely okay, it seems.

I wonder how you would think about it if it was YOUR personal tail you designed and made by yourself, and then someone sells a carbon copy.
    Lack of empathy, much?

I used the scales on the tail as an example. Not only has she copied the scales, but flukes, tops, and bracers as well. They look like almost exact copies. It's not just about the scales guys. Please look at the whole picture.
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

For me I just decide not to give people like this my money. There are people I'll never promote or endorse either.

While it looks like she does have some skill I can't help but feel like her tails look very thin and flimsy. Especially the flukes. Is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by tamallama View Post
    While it looks like she does have some skill I can't help but feel like her tails look very thin and flimsy. Especially the flukes. Is it just me?
    The flukes looks flimsy to me too. Are these silicone? the flukes look like latex to me (because a lot of latex tails are dull like that while most of the silicone tails I've seen have shadows, highlights, and some sheen to it)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    The flukes looks flimsy to me too. Are these silicone? the flukes look like latex to me (because a lot of latex tails are dull like that while most of the silicone tails I've seen have shadows, highlights, and some sheen to it)
    She claims she uses Dragonskin Silicone

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    For me I just decide not to give people like this my money. There are people I'll never promote or endorse either.
    This one right here! Agreed.

I don't mind if my current or any future tail were copied. They are still cheap rip offs and I would have the original. In my eyes it doesn't lessen the tail if it's copied. That's my feelings on it, But yes, I do understand why people feel bad and get upset. So please don't try to suggest I lack in empathy. That's just rude. Like we know everyone is different and some take it more personally than others.

I did not know she stated that about her copying either. That changes things a lot that she purposely aimed to do it.
    Last edited by Mermaid Riia; 06-29-2015 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riiarin View Post
    This one right here! Agreed.

I don't mind if my current or any future tail were copied. They are still cheap rip offs and I would have the original. In my eyes it doesn't lessen the tail if it's copied. That's my feelings on it, But yes, I do understand why people feel bad and get upset. So please don't try to suggest I lack in empathy. That's just rude. Like we know everyone is different and some take it more personally than others.
    Amen, yo!