Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What kinds of fabrics...?

Senior Member Pod of Texas taom's Avatar
    Malinghi: Yep, it's the one in my avatar. I didn't use the brand ALEX, but the stuff I used was essentially the same only cheaper from where I got it. It was my first tail and I was experimenting with a different technique so it looks really sloppy. It's fine from a distance, though!

Mermaid Aqua: No problem!! Please ask if you need any more help!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod

Exclamation What kinds of fabrics...?

What kinds of fabrics are most suitable for a fabric mermaid tail that has to stretch??
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 11-11-2011 at 02:24 PM.
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Spandex/athletic wear fabrics. They are what bathing suits are made of and they stretch beautifully. Also, if you only need a slight stretch, neoprene from Jo An's Fabrics has a bit of a stretch to it, as well. It all depends on how you need it to stretch and what sort of tail you are making. For example, if you need the tail to go around the backside region, then a painted spandex tail is the way to go. If you want to make a tail with ALEX or silicone on top and you need it to stretch in the same way, you'd be much better off making it out of neoprene and adding a zipper. This is because the spandex loses the majority of it's stretch when the silicone os applied. Plus, neoprene tails tend to be longer lasting and of higher quality. I have made tails in all three manners (plain spandex, ALEX covered spandex, and neoprene) so if you have questions, please ask!

I hope that was helpful!

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Taom, I didn't know you made a tail with spandex covered in ALEX. How did it turn out?

And Aqua, in addition to what taom said there's some more info here: http://mernetwork.com/index/content....s-and-Supplies

Chesapeake Pod
    Thanx guys!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Chesapeake Pod
    Is Fabric that is 95% nylon 15% spandex okay? Is it durable? Stretchy? Can you see through it? Can you paint on it? It is swimwear fabric...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mermaid Saphira; 11-11-2011 at 02:25 PM.

Durability and whether or not you can see through it depend on the thickness of the fabric. It's like a cotton sheet and a cotton bath towel- you can see through the sheet when you hold it up to the window because it's thin, not because it's cotton. That said, some fabrics are specificaly made to be see through. Durability gets better the thicker something is- like denim jeans- the super thin, stretchy ones don't last as long as a pair of thick, heavy duty outdoor work denims.

Lycra and other fabrics labeled "knit" or "dance/swimwear" are stretchy. You can certainly paint on it. The problem to solve is what paint and method to use to keep it from cracking with wear, stretch, and water/chemicals. There are various threads on this.

If you can, try going to your local fabric store and find the dancewear section. Take a look at the different fabrics available and figure out what would work best.

Hope this helps!

Chesapeake Pod
    All of this information is so helpful thank you!
    My fabric store does not carry any spandex or
    anything I can use to make a tail... how unfortunate

Thanx again

I would highly recommend getting a sample swatch before you buy. That fabric is a pretty light color which sometimes translates into translucency in water. You can also test durability (which, as Mermaid Pandorah said, is determined by thickness) as well as different kinds of paints. I like to use acrylic screen printing ink when I paint on spandex. The brand I have is Speedball, but it doesn't really matter. What's good about acrylic screen printing ink is that a) it's made for cloth so it retains a bit of a stretch, b) will not wash off, c) it's thick, like regular acrylic paint, so it's easy to use and you don't have to have an airbrush, d) it is relatively inexpensive.

Chesapeake Pod
    Taom- I got a swatch but I just wanted to be sure before I buy BTW do think lumiere paint would do well?

hey, mermaid aqua, im trying to message you to answer you but it says that you have exceeded the amount of message in your mail box that is permitted, so for your question, : the fluke like madison in splash! thanks meremily

Chesapeake Pod
    Okay Sorry, I wish the message box could store more

Aqua - Awesome! As to the paints, Lumiere should be fine. I think a few other mers have used that brad with great success.

Chesapeake Pod
    Great! Now I just need to locate a place to buy
    My local craft stores don't even know what it is!!!

Chesapeake Pod
    I can't decide what to do for my color scheme...
    Should i do:
    aqua fabric with dark blue lumiere
    aqua fabric with medium blue lumiere
    aqua fabric with pearl
    aqua fabric with silver
    aqua fabric with a shade slightly darker
    or blend some colors together???
    What do you mers think?

aqua + dark blue
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Chesapeake Pod
    Guys, do you reccomend 2-way or 4-way stretch??

Either will work fine. It sort of depends on how careful you want to be. 2-way stretch only stretches on plane of the fabric, that is to say the horizontal. So, if you wanted the tail to stretch to fit your body, you would have to be careful and make sure that you cut the tail so the stretch acts like you need it to. With 4-way stretch, you don't have to be a attentive, although you end up having to take the tail in more after you sew it the first time. In the end, it doesn't really matter.

Chesapeake Pod
    Alright, I just didn't want the tail to be to to stretchy. Thanx

Chesapeake Pod
    Is "Shattered Glass Holograms" a good fabric to use for a tail?

Here is a look--> http://spandexworld.com/c3/catalog/product/4333