Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Environmental Concerns for the Eco-Conscious Mer

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Ooh, that sounds wonderful, Echidna! I really love tails with different/thinner fabrics for the fluke :3 I can't wait to see that! The difference in thickness between the two fabrics is going to look really awesome! I love that you use all your scraps like that, I hoard my scraps too (especially when it's nice fabric, but any scrap can be used as stuffing for projects!) The velvet tail I'm working on now will also have a different fluke fabric, all of it made from scraps :P

I totally agree, the underwater view is very kind to not-perfect tails... even the most falling-apart, chipped-paint, missing-fin tails look beautiful once underwater! Even just a plain fabric sheath becomes a beautiful mermaid tail :3

So about another eco-friendly find - earlier this year I found a supplier for all-natural, eco-friendly facepaints. They're so "green", they don't even carry the colour blue, because there's no natural source of it that is either safe or doesn't need preservatives. I have ordered samples, but this is more for dry events because it washes right off in water... Plus, I have issues with the short shelf life - it needs to be used within one month of opening! So now I have to paint my face like crazy for a month after I open it, because these babies are gorgeous and I'm not wasting them, nosirree.

I've been talking to her about coming up with a more waterproof formula, and one with longer shelf life. This weekend, she made and tested a sample of plain white face paint... and it's waterproof! Well, it does smudge if you rub it really well, but all makeup is going to do that unless you're using some serious chemicals on your face (I really shouldn't). But she sent me a photo, the water was beading right off of it! She wore it in the shower and it stayed fairly well through more gentle rubbing (scrubbing helps remove it). It's more like a traditional greasepaint, which I actually love because I adore greasepaints, and have been trying to come up with a natural greasepaint for over a year! The lady I talk to has a beautiful shop (she's an etsy seller), stocked with all the materials and equipment she needs, so I take my ideas to her.

I know there are other "natural" makeup sellers out there, some with quite good reputations, but the thing they all have in common is that they carry blue - which is one of the more controversial synthetic colorants. Plus, blue colour really shouldn't be going on your lips - out of all the pure pigment powders I have (from the same company), the ones that say to keep away from the lips are the blue ones. Also, a good amount of "natural" makeup producers use synthetic preservatives, or really harsh natural preservatives, or ineffective natural preservatives. People don't often check that part of the ingredients list too well and that's where a lot of allergens/irritants are, because the preservatives are "trade secret" formulas you can never tell what's in them.

Anyways, I'm going to be trying to raise a bit of money to get some tester batch samples of this custom-request paint... Hopefully I can get some new pieces of jewelry up in my shop this week. If anyone wants any custom pieces, I'll cut you a mernetwork deal :P Examples of my work are all over the forums/my deviantart if'n you're interested.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Can anyone here refer me to a source of information about the toxicity of platinum cure silicone? I'm not finding anything specific, but I am finding some silicone that says it's nontoxic, foodsafe, etc. So I'd like to know more. I'd love to play around with creating things from silicone if it isn't toxic.

I emailed one, EasyMold, to ask if they're skinsafe. Because their product looks like it would work fine and it is nontoxic, food safe, FDA compliant. (see http://eti-usa.com/easymold-silicone-rubber/) I also did a search here- a few searches- and can't find any threads mentioning EasyMold.

EDIT- The company got back to me:
    Hello ,
    EasyMold Silicone Putty was designed as a molding product; it was not designed for skin applications. However, with that said, there is nothing in the product to cause skin irritations.
    One problem- I did NOT ask about the putty. I asked about a different product. But, this tells me a lot, so I wouldn't take the chance. DragonSkin and others are at least made for more purposes and intended to be on skin if necessary.

And on another subject....

Hair dye. For natural colors, if anyone is looking for an eco-friendly alternative to regular dye that works, Naturtint is it. I've tried henna, but it's as if I've done nothing, and it rinses right off. My hair is incredibly resistant to dyes. But Naturtint works on my hair very well, and that impresses me. My skin is extremely sensitive, and Naturtint doesn't burn. The smell of hairdye when I was pregnant made me sick, but Naturtint did not bother me at all. They don't make colors of the rainbow, but for those looking for shades of natural colors, Naturtint is ammonia-free, cruelty-free, plant-based. It is vegan-friendly, and does not contain parabens, silicones, paraffin, mineral oils, heavy metals, artificial fragrances, SLS, or formaldehyde derivatives.parabens, silicones, paraffin, mineral oils, heavy metals, artificial fragrances, SLS, or formaldehyde derivatives.
    Last edited by deepblue; 09-30-2014 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Oops taking my real life name out. :)

Both Manic Panic and Special Effect hair dyes are also vegan and free of the toxic chemicals contained in most hair dyes. It's too bad henna didn't work for you. I use henna, and it's given me fabulous results; it's an amazing conditioner as well as a permanent dye. A lot of things can affect results with henna. The powder needs to be fresh and uncut with additives. It has to be left on for 4 hours and covered in plastic wrap during that time. I get mine from hennasooq.com, and they are the best, IMO.

I've done a fair amount of research on plastics and silicone in aquatic environments, since I keep so many valuable fish. Silicone labeled food safe or aquarium safe is about as inert as any human-produced material can be. That grade of silicones is generally not harmful to aquatic life; both research I've read and my experience with silicone decor in my seahorse tanks supports that.

One thing to keep in mind about plastics, OTOH, is that even those labeled "BPA and phthalate free" are really not. A recent study showed that all plastics leach estrogenic chemicals, and those labeled "safe" often leached the most:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3222987/

Based on this research, Stu and I went on a campaign to eliminate plastics from our food and water supply. We switched from plastic food containers to glass, from plastic zip bags to parchment bags, and we got a stainless steel filtration system to filter the bottled water that we drink. After doing so, I went from getting 3-5 migraines a week down to once a month on average. It was a truly dramatic effect!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Regarding makeup and other skin hair products: I adore 100percentpure.com . Their makeups are colored with fruit and vegetable pigments. For each product, they list every ingredient on their site, and most are organic. I've had great results with their products.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

atm Im using vegan certified makeup from arbonne (anyone heard of them?) They don't use parabens, animal products/by products/mineral oils, and they're pH correct.

There's only one make up pallet that uses blue but all the rest of the make up pallets are more natural colours. Love them. If you request info on certain products and what they contain they give you a full ingredients list of what they use and why they use it.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Thanks for all the recommendations, lovely mers! I've updated the first post with the info you've provided (and credited recommendations).

While I do adore Manic Panic/SFX/Splat! hair dyes, sadly, they're not exactly the most natural and friendly of dyes (here's a blog article about it) However, Manic Panic is PPD-free, and that's always a good thing! Plus, the cruelty-free aspect, and the awesome colours... I'd like to try and dye my hair blue or pink with indigo or woad, but if that's not possible I may have to stick with the Manic Panic! I'm not a huge fan of my natural colour, haha...

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Unfortunately for me, the only way to use all the unnatural colors I've been using for 30 years is to bleach the hell out of the hair first- there is not an eco-friendly bleach, obviously, so I stopped doing that last year. I still have bleached out portions that haven't grown out yet and I use various blues on them until they eventually grow out. But I don't cut my hair but for a trim every few years, so it'll be around for a while.

I've also switched from plastic to glass wherever I can! I even have two glass straws, I love them so much (seriously, I can't go somewhere without one, my teeth were in terrible shape before I got mine). I buy foods specifically for the glass jars (as long as it's a wholesome food I would already get)... So I have this enormous stash of glass jars, but now I'm starting to use them on homemade lotions/scrubs and such, and I may end up giving some away as gifts (I'd like to figure out how to sell them properly). I've also got some neat glass jars I plan on using for my yerba mate (as soon as I get around to crocheting sleeves for them to avoid burning my hands!).

Hmm, Arbonne needs to work on its transparency issues. I like to know exactly what the ingredients in my makeup/skincare/supplements are, LOL! When you're allergic to random things in makeup, you have to be diligent. http://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/ar...afe-cosmetics/ Their makeup looks lovely, but they do seem to use a lot of "healthwashing"... And I really don't buy anything that doesn't list the ingredients.

SurlySeaNymph, on the topic of silicone... From what I've read, as long as it says "food-safe", then it's going to be pretty much completely inert when cured. You should always be doing the curing in a well-ventilated area, I know that the "caulking" type is acetic-cure and puts off some fumes, but even that is 100% safe to be using for tails (as long as it says food-grade). Platinum-cure should be the same. As Mermaid Galene says, food-grade/hospital-grade/aquarium-grade silicones are pretty much the safest, most inert synthetic material we make as humans. I'm interested to know more about the manufacturing process behind the raw materials, though!

Also, try visiting my blog http://historicbeauty.wordpress.com/ to see how you can use honey to lighten your hair... I'm growing out my natural colour now to test how it bleaches my virgin brown hair!

TwitterFacebookInstagram

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    I'm interested to know more about the manufacturing process behind the raw materials, though!
    Me, too. Been looking at pages about that, as well. I've only just started though. It will take a lot more time, esp considering my schedule lately. bah.

You know how everything we do as human beings in modern human society brings a degree of damage? And how no matter what we do, it feels like such a Band-Aid effect? And sometimes, I just think... gah I give up. I want to give up. But I don't. I'll still do better where I can, and not beat myself up over smaller things that I did not go 100% all out on. Bah.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    I've also switched from plastic to glass wherever I can! I even have two glass straws, I love them so much (seriously, I can't go somewhere without one, my teeth were in terrible shape before I got mine). I buy foods specifically for the glass jars (as long as it's a wholesome food I would already get)... So I have this enormous stash of glass jars, but now I'm starting to use them on homemade lotions/scrubs and such, and I may end up giving some away as gifts (I'd like to figure out how to sell them properly). I've also got some neat glass jars I plan on using for my yerba mate (as soon as I get around to crocheting sleeves for them to avoid burning my hands!).

Hmm, Arbonne needs to work on its transparency issues. I like to know exactly what the ingredients in my makeup/skincare/supplements are, LOL! When you're allergic to random things in makeup, you have to be diligent. http://www.meghantelpner.com/blog/ar...afe-cosmetics/ Their makeup looks lovely, but they do seem to use a lot of "healthwashing"... And I really don't buy anything that doesn't list the ingredients.

SurlySeaNymph, on the topic of silicone... From what I've read, as long as it says "food-safe", then it's going to be pretty much completely inert when cured. You should always be doing the curing in a well-ventilated area, I know that the "caulking" type is acetic-cure and puts off some fumes, but even that is 100% safe to be using for tails (as long as it says food-grade). Platinum-cure should be the same. As Mermaid Galene says, food-grade/hospital-grade/aquarium-grade silicones are pretty much the safest, most inert synthetic material we make as humans. I'm interested to know more about the manufacturing process behind the raw materials, though!

Also, try visiting my blog http://historicbeauty.wordpress.com/ to see how you can use honey to lighten your hair... I'm growing out my natural colour now to test how it bleaches my virgin brown hair!
    i have their products lol they list the ingredients on the packaging and if you want to see what they use you can ask the people who work there for a full comprehensive list. i think only the consultants have access to that info. i think i have one from a year back when i first tried out the products let me pull it up
    The SeaGlass Siren

Name:  FC5 LOTION LIST.png
Views: 103
Size:  106.4 KB i lie, a list from a few months back. Miyu i was gonna send you PM for the image cuz i dont want to derail thread but the messaging wouldn't allow uploaded pictures from the computers - only urls :S

edit: anyway i'm not complaining. it works super for me but might not work for others. :P
    The SeaGlass Siren

After reading a lot of information on silicone, it so far looks a lot more green than neoprene. If anyone has any links to sources specifically saying what is not eco-friendly with silicone production, please share.

Here's what I've found so far- not a lot says anything about problems with silicone. It's hard to find, possibly because it's just not that bad? Everything points to it being non-toxic, eco-friendly. The waste produced in manufacturing isn't really allowed to go to waste, because there is money in selling it for other uses.

http://www.silicone.jp/e/info/begin1.shtml
    http://www.simcoa.com.au/environment-2.html
    http://www.madehow.com/Volume-6/Silicon.html
    http://lifeyourway.net/is-silicone-b...e-really-safe/

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    sounds amazing!

I'm already set on buying a silicone tail next, because I'm dissatisfied with other materials
    (fabric=drag, neoprene=floating device AND drag).

Thanks for those links, SurlySeaNymph! I didn't realize that even the silicone waste gets used! Just one more point for silicone!

I can personally vouch for safeness of silicone - it's pretty much the most inert material I've ever found. I have a DivaCup made of it, and I've used it for over 6 years now, with no adverse effects at all! And that thing goes in absolutely the most sensitive part of my body, LOL, so I'd be able to tell if it was effecting me negatively. It's so inert that I no longer have the "normal" complaints that generally go along with "shark week", haha!

So it looks like silicone is pretty much the way to go in terms of eco-friendiness AND performance! Don't get me wrong, I do love me some fabric tails, but silicone has so many advantages once you know you can swim in a tail! :P

TwitterFacebookInstagram

How's the diva cup btw? I'm looking into it but I dunno if it's right for me
    The SeaGlass Siren

hooboy someone asked me about the cup, here I'll try to make my shpiel short this time:

**********************************WARNING WARNING TMI ALERT **********LADY PARTS TALK HERE

SLIGHTLY NSFW MAYBE

I freaking love it and couldn't recommend it more! It's made my cramps/flow way more tolerable, thus my mood is better - my housemates and even my mertender don't know I'm on Shark Week unless I say something! It's pretty much done away with my chronic infections, too... I used to get at least one UTI a month, usually more, just because I'm more prone to them. I'm also ah... much nicer smelling in the downstairs region, something my mertender can't stop raving about to other people, LOL! Yes, that's right, my mertender is now a menstrual cup advocate! We actually got one of our best friends a cup for Christmas one year (yep, we give weird gifts), and it did away with her debilitating cramps within two months.

It does take a little getting used to, it's a little odd for the first couple of months, but then you get used to it and your body gets used to it and you wonder why you ever used anything else... I get a little spotting when it's not inserted properly, but nothing I personally worry about (don't we all keep our special panties for that time of month?).

As for how it holds up to activity: the friend we gave it to is... ahem... an "exotic dancer". Her cramps would keep her from work for a week. Now that she's using the cup, she goes to work just fine all through her Shark Week, and no-one's the wiser! I think it really helped her gain a lot of confidence in herself, because she's such a strong person that being knocked out by her own body every month was getting to her. I'm pretty sure I've worn it swimming at some point too, with no problems.

There are different sizes: DivaCup makes two sizes, and there are a few other brands that use silicone instead of latex. MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR SIZE FOR SERIOUS. Don't judge the size on how it looks or what you think will fit - seriously, get your size. It's pretty fool-proof. I'm the larger size (and I'm a tiny person all over), my friend was definitely the smaller size (even though logic based on her intimate life would suggest otherwise).

It looks like a huge cost for something you shove into nether regions, but I can't even tell you how much money it's saved me over the past 6 years or so of not buying the usual products. Not mention the fact that there are no more emergency runs to the store, which is welcome because I live in the middle of nowhere.

Yep, you'll have to touch your own bodily fluids. Oh well, they come out of you and aren't poop. People should be more comfortable with their own bodily fluids. Besides, it's not like you're playing with it.

Other benefits: regulation of period start times (I used to be all over the place, now I'm fairly regular), purging of all those toxins in the usual products that actually get absorbed into your bloodstream (hence the sterotypical "fishy smell" - yep that's caused by tampons and pads), and I can't tell you how many times this thing has saved my life while camping (for serious, I could praise the cup on that alone).

Lemme know if you've anymore questions on the topic, I am (obviously) way too happy to oblige - I've been advocating for these things since they were only heard of in the serious yoga mags :P

TwitterFacebookInstagram

gasp, nsfw labels just because a woman naturally bleeds from her vagina? oh what on EARTH shall we do :P because god forbid woman actually be comfortable sharing talks about their period!

I'm a little wary and terrified that you'd have to shove it up your cavity though. I can talk about periods but can't stand the sight of my own blood i'm a sad hypocrite.

is it available at drug stores maybe? i've only ever seen tampons and pads at mine.. ._.
    The SeaGlass Siren

I love cups, and really- thinking of it as shoving might not be helpful. lol You can get various brands of cups at some grocery stores, and usually 'whole foods' type places have them. My vegetarian co-op carries them, Whole Foods does, ao does Sprouts here in San Diego. And there are websites galore that carry them. You get different size for pre and post childbirth, and yes a little blood will get on your fingers when inserting and removing. But that's part of nature, too, so as long as you can wash your hands, no big deal.

Saves money, saves waste. It's that saving money part though... one purchase that lasts ages.

This LJ community covers reviews and discussions of pretty much every available cup: http://menstrual-cups.livejournal.com/

LOL, well, I never know who's going to get offended by talk of periods, and I'd like to give a little heads-up just so the info doesn't need to be taken down :P Seriously, I dunno why it's still such a taboo subject...

I got mine at Whole Foods both times, but you can order them online as well.

It's not so much "shoving" as it is "folding and inserting", and for me it's more comfortable than putting in a tampon... and um, "other things", because it's more flexible and it's not a solid object (and tampons are so dry, so that's more uncomfortable-ness). Since it's silicone it just kind of slides up in there. My hands don't get too messy when using it, nothing a quick rinse or wash can't fix. I was a little icked out at first when I started using it, but then I realized that it's actually way less gross than dealing with tampons or pads... Now those things are scary, LOL! They just hold onto all that blood, and if you're out camping you have to tote them around in a baggie - ewwww. With a cup it's just a quick flush and it's all gone! So clean and easy, and no more hiding the lady products from co-worker/family/friends/other people in the bathroom!

Then again, after going through childbirth, blood from my nether regions suddenly seemed a lot less icky.

Oh! I forgot to mention the best part of my period getting regulated - I never suddenly start, I don't get caught off-guard, and I don't stain undies/bedsheets - I now start in the morning when I first go to the bathroom! Seriously, I haven't accidentally messed up anything in years. I even get advance warning the day before in the form of gentle cramps. Actually, the cup put me way more in tune with my body, so I can tell it's coming a week ahead of time (my boobs tell me LOL).

There's also measuring marks, which comes in SUPER HANDY if you need to measure your flow for medical reasons.

But seriously, like Surly says, THAT MONEY SAVING omfg... I don't even know what I'd do if I had to buy lady products. I'm flat broke most of the time and I can't afford that stuff, not to mention the hospital visits for the infections they give me :/ I still don't understand why tampons and pads are not free if you need them... It's really a travesty. I've had to use the services of women's centers before, and even they never gave me lady products (which I would have gladly taken for my roommates at the time). Cups can literally save you thousands of dollars over the lifespan of the cup.

BTW, some companies make cute ones, with different colours or sparkles in the silicone - I'm fine with my plain normal silicone-colour one :P

TwitterFacebookInstagram