Thread: Painting our Mermaid Creations Tails

Painting our Mermaid Creations Tails

I figured I'd post here since I couldn't find any other topics relating to my issue.

So, I asked Mernation to color my tail correctly as my tail wasn't done to my concept art originally, and they said that it may be difficult due to tailmakers process of making the tails. Later, when they repaired my tail, they painted the color that matched my tail onto the patch, and the color came off shortly after. Is this due to the wet coating of the tails?

Is there any possibility of being able to paint the tail the colors I wanted?

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Since Jesse puts his paints into the silicone itself and doesn't paint them, and then coats them with perma-wet, the perma-wet cant be painted over. I believe if I am correct this has been mentioned in other threads but his tails cant be painted.

yes. You can't repaint Jesse's tails. When he repaints them as far as I know from our own experience and talking with others, he just pours more tinted silicone over top making the tail even thicker. But it'll still separate because of that layer of perma wet latex. Latex + silicone will not bond. Our tail is splitting into two pieces from the layers, and the perma wet is constantly coming off and taking colour with it to the point the tail is now see through. I once had another tail maker offer to repaint our tail and it was the exact same issue. I hate to tell you but as far as I know nothing will work. I have tried to express this a lot online so people know before buying, and I and others tried to get Jesse not to use the perma wet years ago. I was disappointed when I went to merfest and saw permawet was still being used.

I've got a few pics to show what I mean. NOW THIS TAIL IS ONE OF THE OLDEST ONES I think i was either #1 or #2 that he made. While I saw some improvements at merfest on certain tails, I saw these same issues I am pointing out.

You're going to see sand on the tail, it's because the perma wet is flaking so much the sand got trapped in and under it and we've had a hard time washing it off. It's been hosed down twice and left in the rain... Im afraid scrubbing it will take more paint off.

That white was once orange but paint peeled off

You can see a bunch of layers have already peeled off and more are. Like snakeskin.

Spot on the left there peeled off, whole tail is very streaky as layers have peeled off and become see through

made the 'seams' become more noticeable

Here you can see three layers that all seperate. It happens at the waist, inside the tail, and on seams. Everything pulls apart into layers and I have to keep re-siliconing the layers and putting weight on it while it dries. I even sewed it with clear stretchy line to keep the layers all together.

No trying to highjack just wanna post proof of what I'm saying.

I'm sorry you're stuck in that situation. Anytime I know someone is getting a Jesse tail I try to warn them to ask him NOT to put on perma wet but a lot of people don't understand and go for it anyway because of the shiny-at-first look.

Raina, since I have only used my tail twice outside the condo, does this occur with more usage or just the water/beach situation the tail us being used on. Just curious and hopefully this can inform others with a Mermaid Creations tail.

We rarely use it on the beach. Perma wet will come off regardless. It's not meant to bond to silicone. It was peeling as soon as we got it.

Thanks for letting me know. I have only used it in pools and plan keeping it that way.

the sand issue never used to happen, it's more recent because of how bad the perma wet is flaking.

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    Thanks for this guys. I have just sent Jesse and email asking him not to use it! Stars the lot of you!

Are there any examples of Jesse's tails that don't have perma wet on them? I might have to ask him to leave out the perma wet too...

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I don't know of any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I know it's on every tail I've ever seen made by him.

Wow, that is... awful! I was looking at perma wet on sites that sell it. Not one mentions that this can happen on silicone... I think they need to get on that.

well because it's a latex product. they list the products you can use it on, and silicone is not one of them. It's common knowledge by people in the SPFX field that silicone and latex dont mix.

I've barely had my tail over a year now, and the permawet is giving me issues. Not to mention that the silicone didn't fully fill the mould when it was poured, so it has holes in it where there were bubbles. Some kids have poked their fingers in the holes and wondered why my fluke had so many holes in it.

I'm so fed up with a shoddy product, I'm ready to switch to MerNation.

~Mermaid Celeste: The Orlando Mermaid~
    Booking Website/Model Mayhem
    Facebook Fan Page /Pinterest/Twitter/YouTube/Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    well because it's a latex product. they list the products you can use it on, and silicone is not one of them. It's common knowledge by people in the SPFX field that silicone and latex dont mix.

Oooh, okay. Makes more sense. I should have thought of that.

Yeah, due to this Jesse can't even repaint is own tails. He had a customer that wanted a tail taken in, but it had white stripes on it and if he took it in it would mess up the color design, and he said he could not paint over the tail to fix that issue, that the paint wouldn't stay. He said if the customer wanted the tail smaller and the color design to stay the same, he'd have to make a whole new body to attach to the old fluke :/

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

What about painting with latex instead of silicone?

it's still going over top of silicone, so it wont cure properly. did you know silicone and latex can't even cure in the same space of a room? Let a lone on top of each other. Because the perma we keeps peeling off, anything you put on top of it will peel off too

Yeah that's true. I was just thinking it's the best bet since the silicone is already cured and coated with latex-based permawet, maybe you could cover the perma wet in more latex. But even if it worked temporarily idk that it would be worth all the stress and money.