Thread: Med tops with silicone tails

Med tops with silicone tails

So, I have been doing some serious research on making my silicone tail, and things are progressing slowly but surely. I'm basing my tail off of the lionfish scale pattern and markings, experimenting with different fabrics to use on my fins, and I realized I hadn't planned any top to go with my tail. Once I have my costume finished and my business license approved, I plan on performing at children's parties, and doing some local educational work. Do any of you fellow performing mers have any advice on the type of top I should make for these types of gigs? I'm just not sure how modest to go, or even how decorative. Any input would be very much appreciated.
    User formerly known as "TheaChic".
    Sandra Siren
    My spell is passion and it is art
    My song can bind a human heart

via Imgflip GIF Maker

mm, I think it depends on how busty you are and what the venue would want. The best thing I can think of is to make 2 tops, one that's like a shell bra and another that's more modest like a tankini sort of thing or a shell bra with more foliage and decoration around the bust so there isn't any cleavage showing.

Good idea, I may have to get more silicone though, if I end up making more than one top...
    Sandra Siren

via Imgflip GIF Maker

Once top can be made with silicone (if you're doing like, giant custom silicone shells) and another top can use lion paws or other large shells if you don't want to get more silicone. Or maybe you could even use Latex so it'll be cheaper?

I googled some images and this is one of the more modest ones, but I don't know if I necessarily want to go in that direction...Name:  il_170x135.649959693_3c0n.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  12.3 KB
    Sandra Siren

via Imgflip GIF Maker

Oh, I never even thought of using other mediums! now I feel a little silly. Iight be going to the beach this weekend, maybe I can stop in some stores and check out sheels and other "beachy" items for tops. Thanks!!
    Sandra Siren

via Imgflip GIF Maker

That is Dottie's top! You don't have to go modest, just take a look at some other mers who work with kids. Raina just has some Merbellas tops she wears now. It's really not a huge deal, no matter what you wear you're going to deal with the single most obnoxious comment of all I bet: "Mermaids shouldn't wear tops." :P

As long as the bra base fits you well you'll be fine regarding cleavage, I feel.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I have a top that's just a teal bra covered in beads and sequins. Little kids don't care, really. Except for mine I didn't try iron before I bought it and it ended up being a tad too 'sexy siren' for kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

Here it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting...I'm looking forward to finding just the right look. The downside is, I look at so many incredible costumes, and I'm torn in too many directions thanks for the input if you couldn't tell I freaking love these forums and getting to pick your collective amazingly creative brains
    Sandra Siren

via Imgflip GIF Maker

I have several tops, one full silicone scale bra top with netting from mernation, I eneded up adding seaweed and pearls to make it less vava-voom. And I have 2 bathsuit tops that I sewed on netting and pearls and seaweed and they look great!!! I am about to order a set of silicone shells from Mermaid Atlantis to make a shell top too!!! I really like variety

I'm so excited to start experimenting with my look, but I have to wait until I have money....*sigh*
    Sandra Siren

via Imgflip GIF Maker