Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Ages?

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^

couldn't have said it better.
    People always are condescending when you are sure you don't want kids, because themselves they are so driven by hormones or whatever, they cannot conceive making such a decision.
    They'll go "you will change your mind", "you'll meet just the right man and then you will want kids", etcetc, as if I was some jungle monkey driven by basic instincs and unable to do anything out of my own free will.

On the other hand, having kids all for the wrong reasons (and you wouldn't believe what kind of reasons some have kids for- being the center of attention, having larger breasts for a while, trying to hold a guy, wanting something "all of my own to myself"...) almost always ends in a trainwreck, yet those people are never criticized or treated condescendingly.

And it's really sad to grow up and find one or both of your parents regret having you.
    I'd never wish that on anyone.
    It's better, and just as fulfilling and satisfying, to adopt a child, human or nonhuman.

I'm 15 and I'll be turning 16 on the 23rd of this month... It's weird, even though I consider myself young, I really don't want to get any older. I don't know why either

Perhaps maybe you guys are looking at it the wrong way...

I honestly don't think they're trying to be condescending (although some rude people may, you never really know); however, it's stereotypical I think everyone who tells you you'll want kids, is. They start a family as an extension of their love, and having children bring some people such happiness and joy, that they cannot conceive why someone else would not want to have children, and hey, we all have our reasons. But not having children doesn't mean your missing out on that happiness and joy and it doesn't mean the love is not there, maybe it comes from another source.

Kinda like how some of us don't quite understand why others don't like mermaiding/mermaning (it's so fun!), but it's not for everyone It's most likely not because they look at you or think that you can't make your own desicions, or are driven by some weird animalistic instinct... They had children because of their love not because of some instinct, so why would they believe you'd have an instinct? (Some people may, but again, not everyone). It's just what they know to have happened to them, some may feel that of course it'll happen to someone else, but we are all different and I think they understand that.

Also, Echidna, I agree with you that having children for the wrong reasons is bad, but I wouldn't say they are not criticized or not treated condescendingly. Also (human) adoption is not for everyone and is not nessecarily better. It is just as satisfying and fulfilling if you WANT to adopt children for the right reasons. If you want to have your baby, go right ahead. And this is coming from someone who was adopted lol. Adoption is great though, don't get me wrong and I encourage it

I think it'd be cool to make a thread about adoption/ adopted mers I'd love to hear others stories about adopting or being an adoptee.

Edit: Sorry for such a long post
    Formerly known as "kimmie".

Exactly, Vrindavana.

I don't think we're disagreeing with you, Mark, about there always being time for dreams and unforeseen life changes. None of us here have closed our hearts to dreams. It's just that for some of us, our dreams don't include having children. (And BTW, I'm 10 years past menopause, so I'm pretty sure serendipity ain't gonna make me pregnant!)

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Pod of Cali MarkF's Avatar
    Echidna, Galene my own father months before he died told me he hated my brothers and I. Said my Mom stopped being fun after that. I too have friends that were pushed over the edge when kids appeared. I think maybe many factors at that time in couples marriages. Buying first homes, car payments, debts all play a part. So no I'm not challenging your decision. Thats why I prefaced my comment with I'm not advocating guppies. It was more of a life statement recommending shinier things on the swim to somewhere else.
    I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.
    It really upsets dull people!

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel

Thanks Vrindavana.

So would senior Mermaids have scales falling off or is it a metamorphosis thing?
    Latent gene it's only every 3rd generation that metamorphosed into a mermaid.
    They never found a mermaid body, maybe mermaids don't grow old. Kinda like the lost boys.

From Mermaid ages, children issues to life perspectives. I saw that Alien Mermaids idea, Hum? Mermaids from space, Mermaids from Mars, Invasion of the Mermaids from space. Theres got to be a picture in there somewhere.

I am so drifting, must have been the 5k walk for breast cancer. Way to much estrogen and pink!

Perhaps there's a fear that if I stop playing I will be old. Just sitting in my recliner with the doulies on the arms and drinking whatever and my prescription drug bottles on my side table, a copy of TV guide on my lap as I sleep. - N o t!

I'm going to the pool, then maybe go into the garage and work some more on the Long tail extension. See given the choice there is no choice- See ya after the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    recommending shinier things on the swim to somewhere else.
    Absolutely! Life has an unlimited potential for shininess.

Mermaid Galene Web• Neptune's Keep Web• Facebook•MG YouTube•NK YouTube•Etsy Shop

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Leira's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Leira on Facebook
    I'm 28, 29 on oct 29th, same bday as New York mermaid but age is just a number I'm not dreading my 30's at all, why restrict what you do because of where you think should be in life using periods split up by labeled decades I figure

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    Absolutely! Life has an unlimited potential for shininess.
    Not to interrupt the snark of the childless...err... "child free", but I find my life is far shinier because of my children.

It truly is a different mindset; neither side can fully empathize with the other. Neither side is right. Neither side is wrong.

I see my best friend and his bothers and sisters. None have children. The bloodline ends with them. Immortality has been lost. I just don't get it. Then I see particular mannerisms in my children, echoes of my own imagination flavored with their own unique additions, and I smile.
    (Formerly known as Ζolius)

True love is a wonderful thing. 'Nuf said.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Galene View Post
    True love is a wonderful thing. 'Nuf said.
    Truth.
    (Formerly known as Ζolius)

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    If mermaids are of the faerie world, and according to Irish folklore, that's most likely, then they would not appear to age to us. A hundred of our years would be a few days to them.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I would think the older the mermaid, the more powerful.

Senior Member Pod of The South Aziara's Avatar
    I'm 27, 28 in two months. I still get carded... every... single....time. And I'll likely never be in the silver fin pod--as cool as I think a full head of silver hair is, my mother at 57 has only a couple grays. So I don't think gray hair is in the cards for me unless I bleach and then dye my hair silver, lol!

As for the kids vs no kids argument, every person is going to be different. For me, I'm 4 1/2 months pregnant and still a little terrified of being a parent, though I'm excited as well. I really can't imagine going through this much agony a second time though--although as an only child, I always said I wanted a few kids so that they wouldn't be lonely like I was.... *shrug*
    Also known as Salina Tideglow

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I totally dye my hair. I'm not ready for my hair to 'sparkle' yet. But I would still be in the Pod of the Silver Fin. I don't think having silver hair would be a requirement.

Right, Aurelia. I think the "silver" thing is just metaphorical. My hair is red and blue!

18 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I'm 28, 29 on oct 29th, same bday as New York mermaid but age is just a number I'm not dreading my 30's at all, why restrict what you do because of where you think should be in life using periods split up by labeled decades I figure
    Oh yay another mermaid celebrates the same birthday as me , exactly age is a number, as long as you're having fun and happy that's all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkF View Post
    Sometime it's like your watching Logan's Run.
    I just have to give kudos for the reference.

You're right about age discrimination in the workplace, though- although you will find younger people saying they're the ones being discriminated against, it's overwhelmingly a problem for people over 50. I was in HR, I've seen it myself, and I've seen my mom go through it. It's no wonder people lie about their age.