Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a Mersona

Creating a Mersona

Hai y'all. I'm taking this mermaiding pretty seriously. My friends judge me, but whatever. The things I'm working on are:
    •my mermaid name
    •my backstory

Also I'm still learning to swim in my tail and I haven't made a website or other business stuff.

I think my nickname Maisy is good for a mermaid name because it means pearl. My real name is in Sanskrit and no one can pronounce it lol. Right now I'm MerMaisy, but I want something more unique. I was thinking Maisy Mist or something with the alliteration. I'm open to any suggestions.

I live near a river, so I thought I would be a naiad because they're freshwater nymphs. I know they aren't the same as mermaids, but I suppose they could take mermaid form. However, my top and headband are decorated with seashells, so that doesn't seem like it goes with the river mermaid stuff. If anyone has any ideas or want to talk about their mersonas and backstories, I'd gladly listen

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Cool! Maybe you can have your Sanskrit name but with English writing. Me, I just chose my fave choc candy as my mermaid name.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Maitri is my Sanskrit name. Lol hey chocolate is the solution to everything

Senior Member Pod of Texas Naufra's Avatar
    Coming up with a mersona was a challenge for me! I went a little nuts when I was working on it and decided I was half-mermaid and half-pirate, the daughter of Anne Bonney and a deep-sea merman, and I had the human name Harriet Tripps as well as the mermaid name Naufra. I probably went a little too far with it, all things considered, but I kept the name Naufra and the deep-sea mermaid bit. I think I'd make a good angler fish.
    User formerly known as "Zicoxite".

Sounds like you had fun making your mersona I'm still struggling with a name.

It was fun. ^_^ I came up with my name by looking up a bunch of mermaid name generators online, making a list of things that sounded cool, altering them to suit my taste better, and picking from those. I got "Naufra" from the word "naufrage" which means "shipwreck," which sounded like a good warrior-mer name to me. I got the idea that maybe sinking ships is like big-game hunting for Naufra's people and that would be a good name for a proficient hunter.

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    Maitri is a beautiful name, I thinked in a sanskrit name for my "mersona"; Narayana, or Narayan. Is one of the avatars of Vishnu and means "Ocean + man"/ human being is wide as the ocean. Or Varuna. I asked Jaffa about a mername too, but she likes Gabriel. I'm not sure but is my name until now. Lets' see.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Maitri is a beautiful name, I thinked in a sanskrit name for my "mersona"; Narayana, or Narayan. Is one of the avatars of Vishnu and means "Ocean + man"/ human being is wide as the ocean. Or Varuna. I asked Jaffa about a mername too, but she likes Gabriel. I'm not sure but is my name until now. Lets' see.
    Lol! Choose whatever you want. I like Gabriel because it is an angel's name.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    And a merman name??????
    I looked about mermaid/ merman name generators too but just find female names. My name in the mermaid generator was "Lunaris Coralia" or "Coralia Lunaris"; a merMAID who lives in coral reefs and have nocturnal habits.

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    I thinked about what kind of tail I would have? Color, fins, "specie". Should I search for a real fish to know how should be my tail? I found a model I want to make in latex, but I'm quite serious with my "mersona", I love the neologism MerMaisy you expressed what I was feeling. But I'm not worried about a backstory. I have religous motivations to say that I'm a spirit of the sea and that works for me.

On Supernatural, Gabriel is a trickster angel.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Seatan's Avatar
    Add Seatan on Facebook
    In Judeo-Christian-Islamic texts Gabriel is an archangel who acts as a messenger of God who delivers prophesies to many great figures including David and Muhammed (in Islam obviously).

I came up with my mersona as part of a LARP activity, though originally Seavanna Merchilde was a human child who was snuck onto a ship by her father back in the days when females were considered bad luck. A big storm rose up and, seeing a ship if innocent sailors in trouble, a group of merfolk gathered to save it. However, the captain discovered Seavanna and decided the girl being on board was the cause of the storm. He killed her father and threw her off the boat to "appease" the storm. The merfolk were so appalled by what he did that they saved the girl and let the ship sink. They then took her back to the island where they kept treasure from pirate ships they sank which was filled with channels so that she could live on land and also be with her new mermaid family. She grew up from a small girl with them, but one day pirates arrived and slaughtered her family. Her mer-mother saved her by placing her on the back of a narwhal who carried her away. When I developed it as a mersona I added that, as she died, her mer-mother passed her magic onto her and she gained the ability to become a mermaid at will. She then made it her goal to hunt down the pirates who killed get family and kill them all.

Sweet, heart warming story, huh? LOL. I just came up with mine kind of off the top of my head so I don't know that I can help you in developing yours, but just think of these things: were you born a mermaid? Where? When? What are your people like? What do they do? Are they warriors? Thieves? Peacemakers? Are there underwater kingdoms in your world? How do you fit into your world, and what would your merpeople have called you? "Seavanna" was named that by her father because he was an explorer and a sailor, while she took on "Merchilde" after she was adopted.
    Once upon a time I was known as Seavanna. Going by Seatan these days. I always wanted to be the high lord of underwater hell.

Thanks for such a detailed description of your mersona. Pretty sad story, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I like the name Seavanna. It's clever.

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    I know the history of my name, and sometime an friend of mine said my face remembers the iconographic convention of Angel Gabriel. I like my name in arab, Jibrail, Once I created a vampire with this name for a tabletop roleplaying game. In Ecletic Wicca Gabriel is the angel patron of the water element with the elemental spirit king/queen, Niksa. That's the reason I kept my legal name as a "mername". I'm not sure about it yeat. Anyway I'm the only Gabriel in Mernetwork, and is a easy name to remember.
    As I said before I don't know if I need a mersoname background. I have my religous reasons to devote my life to ocean and entitys linked with water.
    Need to know if I'm a son of Yemonja, a goddess of sea of my country. I think I'm, I have many characteristics of a son of Yemonjá. In candomblé and Umbanda, afro-brazilian religions, ALL human beings are sons and daughters of an Orixá, an ancestral demi-god. You only know this consulting the Ifá, an oracle who sends directly the messages of the Orixás. Anyway there are archetipes of the sons and daughters of every Orixá, you can risk just looking but the only way to have sure is consulting the Ifá. I need to do it.

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    I would like to know which fish like would be my tail

Do you have a tail Gabriel? Lol so my little sister has started convincing all of her friends and kids at her summer camps that I'm a real mermaid. I feel almost deceitful and it's weird.

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    Not yet, I'm unemplyed, trying to get a job in the middle of a economic crisis. I know what tail I would like to have, but I started to think: What defines the design of a mermaid tail when she's born? Is any kind of fish tail or it's a specific fish tail?

Gabriel, one of my favorite things about fantastical creatures like mermaids is the room for creativity and freedom of expression in their interpretation. It's entirely feasible that what type of tail a mer has is determined by what family they come from, like how a human's hair and eye colors come from their parents or grandparents. It could also be based on clans or even regional, or maybe it's very specific to each individual mer. It doesn't even have to be based on a specific fish, you can design whatever kind of tail you like. It could even be a blend of multiple sea creatures if you want. If you like lionfish stripes in clownfish colors on a salmon-shape tail, go ahead! This is your mersona, and there's no wrong way to make him. You mentioned that you feel close to Yemonja, so maybe you should start by looking at fish native to Brasil and see what catches your eye. ^_^

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    I thinked on this. I'm thinking in a thematic tail from my country's folklore. The legend of the boto cor de rosa. But he isn't a fish
    http://www.portaldomarcossantos.com..../boto-inpa.jpg
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_tAfnX0r4UH.../s320/boto.jpg

Add Gabriel on Facebook
    I think I would have a tilapia tail actually

But when I make my tail I'll make a metallic navy blue tail, I want to see if I can get an iridescent color like the blue of peacock head feathers, or the blue of a hummingbird