Thread: Blue Chiclid Fabric Tail

Blue Chiclid Fabric Tail

So, I'm in progress of collecting my materials. I have a few rinky dink stuff that I can get with change (Elastic, thread etc) but the major kick in the tail is the monofin and paints I need. Luckily back in 2011 before my life kinda just - typhooned? I had bought four yards of this beautiful fabric, but put it up for safe keeping.

Name:  DSC_0739_2011-06-15_13.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  129.7 KB

But, life is life and things happened out of my control. So, I spent my time doing art commissions and the like to help out with finances in my household. It wasn't until recently that I re-found my fabric and though; "I still want to do this. If anything for my self. It's something I can do with Fibromyalgia and my issues and have fun. Swimming is good for people with fibro. And this would be a cool way to get active again."

Then a friend sent me Mermaid Kariel's video on Career Changers and my mind was set. I mean, I had interest before, but something clicked with that video. Maybe it was because she had a little quirk like me. But, I knew I wanted to do this. Even if some days all I could do was sun bathe and hand out info or just talk to people.

Name:  pagrylfn.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  24.5 KB

This little guy, a Male Blue Chiclid. It matched the sort of look I was wanting for a first time and I could easily manipulate a mono-fin for without having to really change the shape or add drag to. Freshwater - Check. All I am lacking is the monofin and rinky dink items. I have a pattern which I may need to redo considering I lost about thirty pounds since I made it. But, It's good to use as a base.

Once I get it made and can somehow find a safe swimming area. (Which I have been told Fall Creek Falls is good for freediving and the like.) I will take pictures. Once I spend some time in a fabric fin I'd love to move up to a Mertailor Tail... one of his cheaper ones obviously or commission a neoprene/silicon hybrid from here. Then move up to a Merbella Tail like I posted in my dream tail thread. I don't expect to make a living, but I would love to make an impact in some way.

I'm so excited and I do miss swimming a ton. It was one of the awesome things about my college we had a gym and got free access to it. Who knows, maybe I can't get a monofin right now will prove helpful might loose a bit more weight and get into better shape by then. So, here I am diving in headfirst.

Name:  Mer001.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  603.2 KB

Designed my tail to a chiclid my friend has. My biggest investments will be the Monofin and the Lumiere paints.

The other stuff for the top and the little stuff for the tail: Thread, Zipper, etc. Are cheaper and can be bought with change luckily.

Found out my fabric is 2 way stretch horizontally - Which means a zipper for the back so I don't stress the fabric too much. The ends of the tail will be a bit longer than the fin so I can slip it on and off.

Design down, just gotta save up for the other things now.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    That looks like it will be one amazing tail!

Looks like it will be really pretty! I used to have cichlids
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Thanks guys! I have an album with the progress pictures you can check out. Had to modify the design a little bit due to some issues I had. But, its fantastic so far.