Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MerCon type of gathering for 201?? what do you think??

The only forseeable problem that I can come up with is that some regions may have less mers than others. Would you then combine them? Fundraising for all of them might also be another issue since some mers may be able to contribute more than others. I would also not want this to turn into a competition.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spindrift View Post
    The only forseeable problem that I can come up with is that some regions may have less mers than others. Would you then combine them? Fundraising for all of them might also be another issue since some mers may be able to contribute more than others. I would also not want this to turn into a competition.
    I think you're imagining it being a lot more structured than I am. I wasn't thinking of it being a competition, and I think its understood that some pods are unlikely to be the one to arrange a convention. I think the Pod of Cali, the Pod of Texas, and the Pod of the South would be the ones most likely to get ready first to host a big gathering for everyone. The Pod of Hawaii or the Pod of Oceana don't need to feel bad that they probably wont be the one to pull this off. Also, I wasn't implying that everyone be responsible for fundraising for it. The fundraising would possibly depend on a lot of people buying tickets way in advance, possibly before a lot of the major decision are made. That would give them more flexibility and capital for planning. It would only be possible if everyone had a lot of faith that the convention was definitely going to happen.

I picture the beginning of the process to be very informal. If people start trying to go for group swims with their pod once every month or every other month then I think eventually one of them would be big enough to feel confident inviting everyone to come. For example, would anyone in the Pod of the South be interested in meeting up to go swimming at an indoor pool sometime in December or January? Maybe in Orlando or Atlanta or Savannah?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    I don't really have a "pod" I live near Baltimore, i don't believe anyone is really a mermaid out here and we don't have any public pools that allow mono-fins
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

I travel nearby to Baltimore pretty often. And it's not that bad of a trip to/from NY. Maybe a northeastern pod could do something... although there aren't very nice places to swim in the winter. I'd probably be down for going to Florida, maybe, provided that it fits into my schedule.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermanMatty's Avatar
    I think I might have a very nice place in St. Pete FL that would be a good location for it, It is called the Flamingo. A bar/club is attached but during the day it is a regular hang out with a HUGE pool. They love mermaids and mermen! I've swam there in my tail a few times in the past few months. They LOVE it! It is also a Hotel so you can get a room so you don't have to travel too far with a heavy tail and waste gas )) You can find it online if you look it up, it is fairly well known. I think it would be a good place because it would be very cheap and most importantly you won't get weird looks from people, because they're seen it all! Trust me! At night the club there is WEIRD! lol so think on it, I have a lot of friends there who would LOVE to help see this happen!

I don't know how everyone feels about gay people so I don't recommend booking it on a Sunday if there are people who don't agree with it. I don't want to bombard people with things that make them uncomfortable.
    Last edited by MermanMatty; 11-13-2011 at 07:33 PM.

^thanks for the info,

I was actually looking at this hotel the marriot world center in orlando: http://www.marriottworldcenter.com/a...ies/pools.aspx

I am all by myself. lol but I am hoping to organize a gathering in Tampa Bay when I head that way in March. Not just for mer stuff but for disney as well. Jesse and I are also trying to scheme away to get a boat to the springs and I'll personally be offering photo shoots for all the mers that can make it because really this is like a once in a life time trip for me I think we're also trying to car pool and get up to weeki wachi they told me they'd be open. But once I get all the details nailed down I'll be starting a thread of it's own. I love that everyone wants to do stuff and organize but I have such a small budget the only reason I can do this trip is because we have a place to stay for free and our visa points are covering our tickets. Even if there was another mercon officially organized and prepped to go this summer I just dont have the budget for 2 trips!

Believe me i would go if there was one, but I usually hit Orlando in May around there, cause that is one only free 2 weeks i get. they rest are random days off.
    Last edited by New York Mermaid; 11-15-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Chesapeake Pod
    Maybe we could try and meet up in may sometime? Hope the marriot is avalible...it look lovely. Two concerns however, are they enviornmental friendly and do they allow swim fins?
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

lol that will take time to do trut me, I wish aquatica was the type of place to go hang out in mermaid tails, though i think one of our members went over there and swam in tail without issue.

And even if there is no possibility of it happening this year we can always just have everyone come together to meet in a local place, just because it's not an actual con doesn't mean we can't have a gathering of a community. Florida is a BIG place surrounded by water, I'm sure everyone can find somewhere to crash, you can even roommate with someone you know Save some money doing that!

Chesapeake Pod
    It would be nice just to have a little get together...somewhere in florida with a big pool and everyone in their tails. Maybe we can do a couple of those and build a con on our meet ups. Feedback?

And even if there is no possibility of it happening this year we can always just have everyone come together to meet in a local place, just because it's not an actual con doesn't mean we can't have a gathering of a community.
    Exactly, we dont have to do anything official mercon style.

I think organizing our own mercon is a fantastic idea but it literally needs at LEAST a years worth of planning to go into it if it's to meet all our expectations. For now, let's all just meet up when we can where we can!

Three Sisters Spring in Citrus County Florida is more than accommodating for a mer get together! it has a beautiful environment and it's nice and refreshing so no one is gonna get tired! )) Go google it! It's so beautiful!

^ that looks like a wonderful place, so beautifdul I want to go
    Last edited by New York Mermaid; 11-16-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Chesapeake Pod
    totally agree with Lanai! That place couldn't be more beautiful! It's perfect!

Chesapeake Pod
    and quite frankly we ALL know it's natural and no one can stop us from wearing fins LOL

Jesse has some great videos of him swimming in it we're hoping to get a boat and hit it when I come up in March. If people still wanna go then, I'll post a thread and we can carpool etc.