Thread: The attack in Ottawa yesterday

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

The attack in Ottawa yesterday

I'm sure all the Canadians on the site were jarred by the terrorist attack that happened yesterday in Ottawa. It was the first time a confirmed terrorist attack of that level had happened since 1970.

Here's an updated Canadian article on what happened: http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/...arliament-hill

Today my friend Bruce, who is a well known cartoonist locally, create an image that has gone viral

It really sums it up doesn't it?

How are all my Canadian mers feeling about everything that transpired? Are any of you from that area? I know Sean and I spent the entire day yesterday glued to CBC to hear details of what happened. If you heard any of the political addresses I felt the PMO did a terrible job. But the NDP and Liberal leaders really hit the nail on the head with their speeches. This was intentionally done to create "terror". And make people suspicious of each other, and cause fear.

It's so scary when something like this happens on our native soil. I worry about what might happen in the future as a result.

I was off yesterday and after returning from a quick outing yesterday morning I turned on the TV when I got home and was following Global's coverage of the events. I do have a couple bible school friends who married and live in Ottawa and she posted her husband was in lock down for most of the day. I cant imagine what it was like for those in lockdown for the many hours but I know its a procedure taken to keep individuals safe.

I heard all three speeches from the leaders of the parties from the House of Commons sitting this morning and I am no political junkie but I thought all three were great. I think though Justin Trudeaus was the only one that hit on the subject of justice for these kind of individuals.

Kudos to our Sgt in Arms for his heroic action. He close to crying during the precession this morning when he was walking into the House of Commons for the sitting as every MP was clapping.

Also I think it was very noble to pospone the NHL hockey game last night in Ottawa in respect to what took place. At the Pittsburg game they even sung the Canadian Anthem in honoring our country. The US definitely showed a level of respect with all the kind words from Obama to many others.

Lastly to highlight your political cartoon that shows the utmost respect for the situation. Itself speaks volumes to why we have memorials and why we honor year and year those who have fought for our country and our freedom. Thanks for posting this Raina and sorry I am long winded.

Yes, I have friends who were in lock down too. That was a bit scary. And even though I'm in Halifax they closed our military bases as well. I think you're right about Justin's speech too. (not endorsing either sides, I was just put off by the PMO I thought the others touched on subjects he ignored)

I heard that about the pittsburg game!!

You aren't long winded, I wanted to post it to hear from my fellow Canadians. It was a traumatic event and I think yesterday was a weird day for all of us.

I was at work and heard nothing about it until I got home and got online. It's horrifying.

I've been really amazed and proud of our country's response to the attacks, though— I've heard barely anything about the shooters, but I've seen so many tributes and praises for WO Patrice Vincent and Cpl. Cirillo, Kevin Vickers and all of the people at the memorial who dropped everything to help Cirillo.

Usually the media drags out the shooter's name and face as the focal point— "Inside the mind of a killer,"— but in this case, they aren't giving that kind of publicity to the people involve and their extremist cause. I haven't seen a single picture of the shooter and have only seen his name once, everything else has been about the victims and the heroes. As horrifying as all of it is, seeing our country's response really put me more at ease and has seriously boosted my Canadian pride.

Relevant videos!

Justin Trudeau's response from Parliament Hill: http://youtu.be/C2LjGspkieI

Rex Murphy's report on CBC's The National: http://youtu.be/N89BAADF1bE

This just sums it up, doesn't it?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    This may be in poor taste, but gosh dammit, canada, you handle your shit so much better than the us. There was a shooting at the in n out by my work the other day and 3 high school kids were wounded and it was only on local news.*sigh* I just hope everyone is okay and that you all move past this swiftly and successfully. Gun violence of any sort is ridiculously scary. Lots of love from over here <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they've been showing comparisons of how american news reports what's happening and how canadian news does. it's quite jarring how different

I actually heard about it yesterday morning through a friend. My husbands two coworkers were in Ottawa at the time and they couldn't leave the office building because of a lockdown. I'm really speechless.. Mainly because I'm not sure how to react to this. Except I am angry that there was even a shooting in the first place
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I don't know anyone from there, but I do wish everyone else's family and friends are ok.
    Formerly known as ireneho