Thread: Garage Finds

Garage Finds

I found this in my grandma's garage and she let me have it.

Name:  SANY0001.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  681.1 KB

It's plastic, but I figure it's a good starting point to test out my crafting skills. When I get the other materials I'll post progress pictures.

Which will be later on since I'm going to a geek convention for the weekend! I'll take some pics for the chatterbox! See you later my lovely mers!

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Cool' those art great because real shells are sharp and break easy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For sure. Once I raise money for a new computer so I can work more without it crashing I'll be saving up to finish this and my tail unless I find items. ^-^

I know this is from a while ago, but lucky find!
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Also, do you have any pictures?
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by OceanWhisper View Post
    Also, do you have any pictures?
    Not yet! I just got the money to finish my first fabric tail. I'll be getting my materials soon and start doing a post on it.

It's why I left the forum for a month. I was working on saving up ^^; $350 should be moooore than enough to finish my tail and top.

Name:  hairthigie.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  441.7 KB

The pearls had to come off. Even with the E6000 they wouldn't stay on. But, this is what I made so far.

Monday I'm getting the monofin according to the tracking number on it! I'm excited. May do an unboxing!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Have you tried Poly Zap glue? I know its mainly for plastic but it might work. Or some kind of epoxy cement? The kind used to glue gemstones to metal.
    Formerly known as ireneho

It's the pearls on the spiral shells that wouldn't stay. I tried all my tricks and no go. I'm thinking it's because of how much it's handled. And since the beads are glass and smooth they just pop out.

Which is okay, the piece looks better without the pearls on the shell. Everything else won't budge which is good.

I'll look up Epoxy Cement though; never heard of it and it might come in handy!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    Thats awesome. Love finding things in the garage. There's stuff in my parent's garage, but it belongs to my dad and he's quite attached to it all

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1425199876800.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  62.1 KB
    Attachment 27855
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1425199797497.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  50.3 KB
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    If still having trouble gluing the beads, can try roughing up the surface with sand paper. It'll help the glue adhere to the smooth surface.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Thats awesome. Love finding things in the garage. There's stuff in my parent's garage, but it belongs to my dad and he's quite attached to it all

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1425199876800.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  62.1 KB
    Attachment 27855
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1425199797497.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  50.3 KB
    if only you were allowed to *borrow* one or two.... :P

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Elle's Avatar
    Follow Elle On Twitter
    Visit Elle's Youtube Channel
    I know!!!
    "Will you walk a little faster?" said a Whiting to a Snail
    "There's a Porpoise right behind us and he's treading on my tail!"

Tail making progress http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-making-a-tail

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    OMG my grandmother is a hoarder so her whole house is like a treasure hunt, it's amazing. I can't even list all the stuff I've gotten in the past few weeks, but my best find so far has been a bead spinner for stringing seed beads.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaīs Nin

Oh man! I didn't even think about that. Oops my bad. XD thanks! That totally flew over my head.

@ Elle: Man that's a really cool collection! All I got is a sea bean, a few shark teeth and a spiny clam shell my dad got when he was a Merchant Marine. (when they had nice specimens for dinner he'd try to salvage shells for me.)

@ Mary: My grandma used to be the same way, but she's been getting rid of more and more stuff. Which is good. I just hope I find more neat stuff I can use.