Thread: Alter egos

Alter egos

This may seem a little silly, but I am genuinely curious as to how you all handle this particular situation. I live in a fairly small city. I'm a local actor and get "recognized" every now and again when I go around town. My question is how do you physically separate yourself from your merself, in order to protect the magic for the kids? You see, every Christmas I play this same part on this local train that does various trips year round. Her character is easy to manipulate because I wear the same Christmas tree jammies,slippers, green ribbons with pigtails, and wear makeup that makes me look like a little girl. These past three years, no child has recognized me outside of that costume, but it's a show I perform outside of my home area, and I plan on most of my mermaid appearances to be mostly in town. Any tips on keeping Sandra Siren not look like me? I'd hate for some kid to see me at the grocery store and wondering why I have legs, or worse a parent seeing me at a bar ya know?
    User formerly known as "TheaChic".
    Sandra Siren
    My spell is passion and it is art
    My song can bind a human heart

via Imgflip GIF Maker

I say that I can transform between legs and tail and so it doesn't phase kids at all. Some seperate so much, that I was literally holding my tail (wrapped up of course) and had mermaid make up still on and my shell bra sneaking out of my shirt, and a little girl ran up to me and asked why I just arrived and it was a bummer because I had just missed Mermaid Harmony and she was super cool and I would have liked her a lot because she sang songs. :-)

She had no idea. Others recognize me but are like 'Oh you transformed!' Sometimes you just have to go with the flow :-) No Stress.
    "It is your choice to hide in a shell, or to be shrimply fintastic by being yourself"
    www.mermaidharmony.com
    MermaidHarmony@gmail.com Facebook:Mermaid Harmony Twitter: @MermaidHarmony

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Seconded. Keep a small token; a shell, glass bead, or piece of jewelry as your "Fins to Feet" charm. Mer-Magic!
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I say something similar as Harmony, and encourage kids if they see me with my legs to come up and say hi. As someone who works with kids in and out of a tail it's hard to separate. Society holds people who work with kids in any capacity to a different standard. Especially in small towns for sure. I get recognized all the time so I always try to be sure I am acting in a professional manner. It does make it hard though. Sometimes I go out to the bar for karaoke and there are past clients there, or parents of kids I've taught or something. I've just sort of embraced that my mermaid me is a pretty big part of me.

I'll say that, because I am part human, sometimes my tail transforms into legs and vice versa. I can control it if I concentrate really hard, but I can only do it when I'm alone. I can't do it if anyone's watching!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Kids ask me to do it in front of them and I say "oh but I don't want you to see my naked butt!" then they're too busy laughing and they so dont wanna see my butt lol

Haha!! LOL AniaR!! Yeah, I wear a small ring on my finger at all times and tell kids that the ring helps me change from tail to legs. And when the kids want to see it, I tell them that it's forbidden to see the transformation!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    While I am not a performing merman, I had to cook up a few concepts for my kids in regards to the tail and leg issue (Fins to Feet), though my mersona began as human so that helps. They also like to point out that I have to come up out of the water to breathe. "Vestigial lungs" I told them "To speak in the air I use my 'little lungs'. Of course once I breathe air I cannot breathe water again until the dawn of the next day."
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

I love the ring idea!!! And omg I'm definitely gonna use the naked butt line, it's hilarious! Thanks all! I've gotta say this community rocks, everyone is so encouraging and supportive
    User formerly known as "TheaChic".
    Sandra Siren
    My spell is passion and it is art
    My song can bind a human heart

via Imgflip GIF Maker

Yeah, I created a whole biography. A background story on how I went from human to mermaid. Luckily I am adopted, so my story is very real to me! I LOVE this network too!! So glad I found it!! Everyone is so friendly and helpful!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Avira, you're adopted too? Yay! I actually would really love to visit with foster/adopt children, because I remember what it was like to be one and to sometimes feel a little "less special" than the regular kids, so I want to bring some magic to their lives and show them that they CAN be something special, too!

I do also have a backstory that involves a "feet to fins" charm - My story goes that I was such a good friend to the ocean, helping clean it of trash, that a mermaid gave me a magic necklace that lets me be a mermaid (the actual necklace is made with a very special present I got from Echi here on MN - I wear it nearly every day!). I hope that my story helps the kids want to help keep the ocean clean :3

I love the "naked butt" line, LMAO!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    THATS A GREAT IDEA. Geeze why didn't I think of that? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk