Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: First Tail Project - Neoprene Tail!

Welp.

I've had my first set back in a while. I knew things were going along too swimmingly haha 🐋🐋🐋

I had planned to sandwich this plastic in between the two sides of the fluke to stiffen them up, but when I attempted to glue it down, it wouldn't lie flat and when it dried there were a lot of air bubbles.

So the plastic has come off, and hopefully having the two pieces of neoprene plus glue will stiffen it up enough.

Unfortunately this has meant I've wasted a whole heap of glue and I've had to order more. I've finally found someone in NZ who sells e6000 for a reasonable price at least.

I'm so flippin' excited!
    So not only have I finished gluing the neoprene down but I've already taken it for a test run! Everything held perfectly and it felt really good. A little bit floaty, but that's to be expected being neoprene and all. I don't have any new pictures because my phone is broken but my mum said it looked cool in the water (lmao).

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Awesome. Pics when you get around to it ^_^. I have to wear 3kg of weights in a pool to be almost neutrally bouyant >_<
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

I have pictures!

We went swimming again today and took the go pro with us this time. Really really happy with how it looks and swims in both shallow and deep water
    Also yesterday I brought some fabric from etsy so that's one step closer to full mermaid!!

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 2.53.06 PM.png
Views: 342
Size:  215.6 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 2.49.55 PM.png
Views: 343
Size:  419.5 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 3.00.04 PM.png
Views: 343
Size:  549.6 KB

Also here's what the fabric I ordered looks like:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-01-10 at 3.19.44 PM.png
Views: 340
Size:  674.7 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania OceanRose's Avatar
    Oh my god that looks fab!
    Yaaaay!!

Wow, it looks great!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Looks good!
    Tell me, what brand paint are you planning on using? Also,in making your pattern, how much negative ease are you building in?
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Awesome
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Thanks for all the lovely comments guys
    Sorry I haven't been updating this thread, but I'm currently working two jobs and I was away for most of last week.

Merman Storm, seeing as I had to google what negative ease was I have no idea lol. My fabric arrived while I was away, and it's a little thinner than I anticipated. I'm currently brainstorming ideas on how to make it more suitable for my needs, as well as protecting the beautiful holo foil print.
    I have been planning to use Jacquard Lumiere paints, but it's just so hard to find them at a good price here in NZ

Also, pictures!
    Here's the fabric that I purchased. I brought it knowing full well that dot foil prints are delicate and don't last (I've been wearing mermaid print leggings for around three years now) but when it actually arrived it's so beautiful irl that I can't bear for it to fade.
    Name:  20160125_111125.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  353.3 KB

Also here are a couple of pictures of me snorkeling in my monofin on my trip. I'm wearing the mask in all of the underwater ones because this mermaid got a little overexcited when she learned how to swim on her back and do flips without blowing air out of her nose, and gave herself a minor sinus infection lol

Name:  20160124_104441.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  389.6 KB

Name:  20160124_105633.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  649.9 KB

Name:  20160124_105732.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  764.6 KB

Follow MerChemi on Tumblr
    You look like you had so much fun!
    i love the shape of your fluke and that fabric
    i cant wait to see how your tail turns out!!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania OceanRose's Avatar
    Where are you swimming Courtney? It looks so nice!!

And aww yeah, that fabric is gorgeous it would be sad to see it flake or fade.
    If you want to protect it with silicone, I can tell you that selleys aquarium silicone (thinned with shellite from bunnings in the paint thinner isle) will work.
    The silicone is about $14 and same for the Shellite.
    Spread over the fabric it will seal/protect, but it stinks so bad and dries very quickly so it's best to experiment of scrap fabric first so you know what to expect. Also, it gives a shiny wet look which may or may not be what you want. I've successfully mixed glitter in with mine before.
    I haven't swum in it, but did experiments where I left it sitting in a bucket of strong chlorinated water for a couple of weeks and it didn't really have any effect except to make it slightly tacky.

I recently-ish ordered lumiere at $10 per pot, which seems to be the average price?
    These ladies are great, they sent me a replacement product after the courier smashed a pot in transit, lovely people to buy from if you do decide to ... (and they're in Wellington) http://creativecraftsupplies.co.nz/silkpaints.php

Anyways hopefully that's helpful in some way, and hope your sinus's recover soon, if you're going to get a sinus infection you may as well do it while having fun right!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanRose View Post
    Where are you swimming Courtney? It looks so nice!!

And aww yeah, that fabric is gorgeous it would be sad to see it flake or fade.
    If you want to protect it with silicone, I can tell you that selleys aquarium silicone (thinned with shellite from bunnings in the paint thinner isle) will work.
    The silicone is about $14 and same for the Shellite.
    Spread over the fabric it will seal/protect, but it stinks so bad and dries very quickly so it's best to experiment of scrap fabric first so you know what to expect. Also, it gives a shiny wet look which may or may not be what you want. I've successfully mixed glitter in with mine before.
    I haven't swum in it, but did experiments where I left it sitting in a bucket of strong chlorinated water for a couple of weeks and it didn't really have any effect except to make it slightly tacky.

I recently-ish ordered lumiere at $10 per pot, which seems to be the average price?
    These ladies are great, they sent me a replacement product after the courier smashed a pot in transit, lovely people to buy from if you do decide to ... (and they're in Wellington) http://creativecraftsupplies.co.nz/silkpaints.php

Anyways hopefully that's helpful in some way, and hope your sinus's recover soon, if you're going to get a sinus infection you may as well do it while having fun right!
    OceanRose, you have just made my day!
    I was already going to pick up some of that silicone on my way home from work. I thought at would be the best way to add glitter and pigment to my neoprene fluke, and shiny and wet is exactly the look I'm going for! I got the idea after reading fifis entire thread (again).
    I'll test it out in some fabric when I do my fluke tests. Thank you for the tip about thinner and Lumiere paints also, I'll have a look.

I can't remember the name of the bay or even the island but that is just one of the many beautiful places I swam in the bay of Islands. So lovely up there

I brought my silicone caulking and thinner today. Did some test swatches on both the fabric and neoprene. I mixed glitter into the silicone for the neoprene swatch, but as you can see I got a little overexcited ahaha.

Little update!
    Cut the pieces of the body out and will hopefully have them sewn together by the end of the weekend. It's starting to look like a real tail now, I'm so excited!

All sewn together! As soon as I get paid I'm go to be buying some dragonskin silicone to coat the fabric in.

Also, when I went to the craft store to get thread and Velcro, I accidentally spent over 59 bucks on random crafty stuff for mermaid projects? Oops.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    "I accidentally spent over 59 bucks on random crafty stuff"
    That is my life...

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Sabrina the Selkie's Avatar
    Chicago (brrrrr... warm up already, lake!), and Rhode Island
    No judgement here. I accidentally spent 63 dollars on mechanical pencils, a pencil case, and a new calligraphy brush.

I worked at a craft store for 3 months. It was so tempting to get new supplies like every day.

Silicone and paint ordered! So exciting!
    I decided to use dragon skin for the body of the tail rather than caulking. It's a lot more expensive but my skin is so sensitive and I want to be careful. I'm still going to use caulking on the fluke though. As soon as I get my new mahina merfin in the post I'll start on that aspect of the project

It's been an expensive few weeks mermaid wise D: