Thread: 3D fabric paint on fabric tails experiment

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Shimmer Mermaid's Avatar

Lightbulb 3D fabric paint on fabric tails experiment

I have had this hunch that maybe low budget mermaids could paint our fabric tails with 3D fabric paint to get a raised scale texture? I don't have much experience except that as a freshman we used 3D fabric paint on everything, for everything in art. So, MAYBE we could make individual scales with it, or just paint on the scales onto fabric. I will try to get some of the paint, and test it on some black lycra that I have laying around from my first fabric tail. I will let it cure for a day or two then submerge it for a few hours a day for a little bit, coming in and stretching it, and moving it around in the water to see how it holds up. I will also take suggestions and kind of mess around with it, and tinker around before giving a definite "yes" or "no" on whether it works or not.

Advice? Opinions?
    Tell me your secrets, sailor.. and I'll whisper mine in return.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel

It's not too 3d but yeah. You can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love how it looks. I guess I'm referring to "bubble paint"? Does it cause any stretching restrictions or floating in the water?

Like puffy paint? You could try it for sure. It does cause stretch limitations, so it is necessary to stuff the tail with pillows or towels or plastic bags or something before you paint. So it will fit when you're done. I considered the puffy paint thing a year or so ago, but I didn't want to be a guinea pig. So my tail has a little texture, but not much. It peels a little bit on the butt and heels, so far, but I love how it looks. And it's cheap!

I had the same idea about puff paint! But the person I looked to for an opinion said it wouldn't look good. Shows how much they knew. >c Wesley's tail looks great! Maybe I'll try it after all...

I used tulip fabric paint by the ways.

I'm okay to be a guinea pig. I craft, test, and create in all means possible. (I tried to make a whole swimmable tail out of craft foam, *did NOT work*) Me and my boyfriend were talking about it earlier and he said if we layered it right, and mixed colors to get desired shades of colors it could work. We were also talking about making individual scales with puffy paint by using wax paper and painting *with puffy paint* a 3 dimensional scale and then once it's dry, take it from the wax paper and puffy paint the other side to make a nice scale, then use a little bit of the same paint to adhere it to the fabric. I currently don't have a job at the moment, and while he's at work, I am working on the house and crafting so time won't be an issue.

I will try to get a test bit done this weekend and show you how it looks so you can decide if you want to or not. I personally think your current tail design would look pretty awesome with some paint scales. I love the colors. ^_^

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    I wonder how 3D paint would look on neoprene and if there was some way to seal it so it wouldn't stretch and scrape and chip off
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

I think it would work the same as it does on fabric. Just stretch it before you put it down. But I don't have neoprene at my disposal unfortunately, so I can't test that bit. :/