Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What a silicone "neoprene" monofin looks like.

What a silicone "neoprene" monofin looks like.

Ive seen a few people recently asking about what silicone "neoprene" tails are like.

Ive got some images of the inside of a very recent one. Out of all the things wrong with this tail, the monofin is what horrifies me. Take a look:
    Name:  2014-11-06 00.36.02.jpg
Views: 3580
Size:  857.6 KB

Because the stupid holes are WAY to large and so close together in the middle, thats where it bends back, making the downward stroke while swimming ineffective. This is what happened to it after 4 swims (one of which was an underwater shoot and I did very little swimming)
    Name:  2014-11-06 00.34.54.jpg
Views: 1903
Size:  853.9 KB

See how bent back it is? How is that supposed to last? Im very surprised that didnt snap. The tail is neoprin and like a sponge, making the bending worse.

the ridges of the monofin were cut and NOT sanded down, leaving 90 degree corners and tearing the fluke from the inside out.

what does emailing mertailor accomplish? Nothing. I just sent off email #4 in the last two weeks. It took me posting on here before I got an answer last time I origionally brought up this and many other issues.

in the first set of emails He just keeps saying how pretty it is. Who cares? If it doesnt swim, why own it? Because he placed in crookedly inside the fluke it constantly pulled to one side. Making it very difficult to do anything in the water and thats dangerous. Im still getting the hang of this video editing/uploading to youtube thing, but I have a video MerMatt took and you can see the fluke folds almost in half when I put any force onto it.

I am not finished dealing with the mertailor but when I am I will post a full review of it. This issue is just the absolute largest. And I can finally be helpful by answering a couple questions a few mers had about this particular type of tail.

lovely isnt it?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Well the bend in the monofin is the way it comes. The wave is shaped like that out of the box as for the rest, I assume the holes are for glueing the monofin in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. There's not much even left to the monofin anymore, jeeze. The fin being bent slightly backwards though I don't think is an issue? Plastic can bend like that and still be bent back I believe without an issue. I don't feel like the bentness of it would influence swimming either...but those holes sure would.

The other waves ive encountered and tried havent had that sharp of a bend, and they were much older then mine. I know the holes are for keeping it stuck together but the size of them is the scary part. I can see having a few small holes but this many huge ones doesnt leave me with much left. And the side holes cut out some of the ridges. if I pick it up aywhere but the foot pockets it just bends in half. I know the wave is floppy but this is ridiculous.
    If you can't stand upon the water I will meet you on the ocean floor

Whatever he used to glue around the foot pockets bonded well to everything so I dont see the need for holes. Im still digging chunks of it out of the straps and its stuck very well.

I apologize I didnt explian clearly enough earlier, when the monofin bends, its not horizontally. It bends in a v shape. The tips of it bend backwards, like a butterfly. When in the tail soaking wet, the tips touch bending backwards. It follows the shape of the holes, and looks close to what a butterfly's wings do. Im working on the video now since I cant think of a good way to word it.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    wow yeah. Guess he hasnt figured out how to get a tail to attach to the monofin. I think only 1 or 2 tail makers honestly have. But wow I wouldn't want holes that's almost no point to the monofin.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Oh wow. That's excessive bending. Okay. Yiiiikessss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FACEPALM

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

ok so no luck yet on the video front but i did manage to get a couple screen grabs to kinda show a little more of the floppiness. ive seen lots of swimming videos and ive never seen another tail do this.
    Name:  Capture mer.PNG
Views: 1456
Size:  136.6 KB

this is an attempt at turning.
    Name:  Capture mermaid.PNG
Views: 1532
Size:  488.1 KB

im guessing there is no way to save this monofin. the only thought i had was to possibly reenforce it with fiberglass but im not sure if that will stick.

wow thats a derp photo if ive ever seen one lol

yeah does anyone know what glue he uses in the fin? I was hoping to get him to fix my tail (lots of issues) but he said he couldn't. My tail skin has completely separated form the fin, and I'd like to glue it back
    Instagram: @harrietmedmonds
    Twitter: @babsannee

"Immortality is simply ubiquity in time." - Herman Melville
    "Be the flame, not the moth." - Giacomo Casanova

Wow :o
    MERMAIDS do it better!

Eric's spies have done their homework. He already defended himself... point for efforts

Name:  FB-screenshot.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  160.8 KB

"Check out our reviews section, only the positive ones make it!"

I can understand that he doesn't want to, but if someone from the company actually informed us here, and didn't just push all the problems away,
    I would like them more.

haha you should see what he said in his email to me! im screenshoting it now!
    Name:  z.PNG
Views: 1412
Size:  169.1 KB
    Name:  z1.PNG
Views: 1325
Size:  164.4 KB

i dont know whether to laugh or cry to be honest.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    They're banned from the forum so they can't reply here or answer things here. Always good to email and check.

Wow... just WOW!! I'm trying to read how many subtle insults he has written on that mail.

"It may be possible that your swimming capabilities are not what you may have thought they were..."

REALLY, Eric?! Are you fucking serious here?

Wow, some of the things he's right about, but multiple times bashing on your swimming skills!?

That's just... Not okay. At all.