Thread: Marine Majors (College)

Post Marine Majors (College)

(So I know there is kinda a thread similar to this talking about college, but it seems more for getting started in college.)

Just hoping to talk to people in the same boat, or get advice from those who have traveled on the same path.

Who is majoring in anything with marine connections?
    (ie, oceanography, marine bio, envi sci, toxicology, organic chem, molecular bio, etc)
    Have ya done any internships?
    Or ever better has anyone gotten a job in that area?
    People have advice for marine majors?
    ETC.

I am a sophmore in college in washington going far a Environmental Science Emphasis on Marine Ecology Major.
    I haven't done and internships and have been trying to find one that suits me.
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    "The breaking of a wave cannot explain the whole sea."
    •○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    I am a Zoology major with a concentration in marine bio with a specialization in fisheries and wildlife and a minor in Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by Arella View Post
    I am a Zoology major with a concentration in marine bio with a specialization in fisheries and wildlife and a minor in Spanish
    Cool! Hows that going for ya? Have you done any internships yet?
    Im almost done with GURs (yay!) Then on to all the fun stuff.
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Already done an undergraduate degree in marine biology and I'm just finishing my Honors majoring in Marine .
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
    Already done an undergraduate degree in marine biology and I'm just finishing my Honors majoring in Marine .
    do you know what you will be doing when you get out of school?
    ○•○•○•○•

-Vladimir Nabokov

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Melanie's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Melanie on Facebook
    Here in Thailand there are organisations like Dive Tribe based in Pattaya and New Haven Conservation based in Koh Tao. Dive tribe work closely with scientists and have a successful shark breeding program for students to take and gain experience- they work on shark conservation, mooring buoy instalments that are safe for the environment and also reef surveying. they both provide scuba training also. New haven has a range of courses and seems like a larger school offering scuba, reef surveying and other environmental courses - they have internships for university students looking for experience and help with their course projects - oh yeah both also have a seahorse conservation course I'm sure too - I have worked with Gwyn Mills from Dive Tribe on numerous environmental projects and can't recommend them highly enough - if Thailand is an option for you I'd for sure drop them an email.

There are also some projects in the Seychelles offering internships and their main focus is whale shark monitoring and plankton surveying I think - also provide dive training but the Seychelles cost an absolute arm and a leg ! I was planning on going there before I found opportunities in Thailand.

Hope you find something ! I've been thinking of applying to university if I move back home but that's not for a while yet ! I'd love to study marine biology, wish I'd knew when I was younger !
    Yougot your own style, now let it come through. And remember no matter what, you got to be you. -Sebastian

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Hopefully, -fins crossed- I want to get a research assistant job, as this year was basically an insight into academics research, and well I didn't completely enjoy it, it was fun but it's not me. or even work at various places which don't need me to make results and interpret what they mean >_<.

It always helps to go to every information night and anywhere where you can mingle with prospective job people and make connections.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

I'm not a marine major as such. My major is in environmental biology and I have a minor in Limnology (freshwater scence), but many of the environmental or Limnology courses I took also covered marine environmental issues or were general aquatic science courses that were meant for all those who studied the aquatic sciences. So I've picked up, along the way, a thing or two about marine environments and their creatures.
    ~~ Awaken your Inner Mermaid ~~

Visit my art thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-s-Merfolk-Art

Senior Member Pod of Texas Kaila Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Kaila Mermaid On Twitter Add Kaila Mermaid on Facebook
    Follow Kaila Mermaid on Tumblr
    Going for a marine bio degree
    ~Kaila Mermaid~

That's cool, Kaila!
    ~~ Awaken your Inner Mermaid ~~

Visit my art thread: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...-s-Merfolk-Art

Senior Member Pod of Cali Delphinus's Avatar
    Follow Delphinus On Twitter Add Delphinus on Facebook
    Visit Delphinus's Youtube Channel
    I'd been out of school for a while for a few reasons, but I'm going back in the coming Autumn semester. I'm focusing on Oceanography as a whole, but looking to focus specifically in Marine Biology. Ideally with a focus on cetaceans!
    "Nella fantasia io vedo un mondo giusto, lμtutti vivono in pace e in onestΰ."

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod KayNS's Avatar
    Follow KayNS On Twitter Add KayNS on Facebook
    I have a BSc in Marine Biology, (Co-op, with Honours). My minor was psychology. I graduated (way back) in 2003. ;-)