Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Mers from the British Isles!

Senior Member Euro Pod
    Add Pascal21M on Facebook
    Ok i know

we have beautiful lakes here

Quote Originally Posted by Kamanaka View Post
    Hi everyone, im a uk newbie :-) really interested in freediving as a mermaid, i live in Buckinghamshire and im currently making my own tail- just fabric with a monofin to get me started. If anyone knows any swimming places in West sussex give me a shiut as my mother lives there so i visit often. I am interested in meet ups with other mermaids :-)
    welcome to MN! if you look at the top of the page your post is on, someone already posted a great website for local wild swimming locations in the UK which might give you some ideas =)
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

Add Vixy on Facebook
    Are you still heading to the cons Mermaid Lilium?

Thank you Lilium :-) my tail is now complete and im currently visiting my mum on the coast in West Sussex so its beach life for me, probably still wetsuit weather for swimming just now! but I did have a mini photo shoot today with my tail!

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Mhara's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Mhara on Facebook
    Oh my...I just realised I still haven't posted in here!

Hi everyone! I'm a UK Mer based on the Isle of Anglesey in Wales. I live just up the road to a fantastically beautiful beach, which also has a nicely sized river running through it. I consider myself more a river mer due to the fact that's where you'll usually find me in my tail
    alas, none of my local pools allow tails or monofins (or fins of any sort!) So I'm reduced to rely on weather (until I can get my own pool...one day!!)
    Anyway, just a hello and a let me know if you ever meet up as a pod! Would love to meet some more like minded mers

Hi there! I'm a UK mer based in London, its so great to see more mers in the UK!

Quote Originally Posted by Vixy View Post
    Are you still heading to the cons Mermaid Lilium?
    yup! to MCM in July =)

Thank you Lilium :-) my tail is now complete and im currently visiting my mum on the coast in West Sussex so its beach life for me, probably still wetsuit weather for swimming just now! but I did have a mini photo shoot today with my tail!
    No problem =) And ahh! Can't wait to see photos of your tail then! And yes... little nippy still hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Vaughan View Post
    alas, none of my local pools allow tails or monofins (or fins of any sort!) So I'm reduced to rely on weather (until I can get my own pool...one day!!)
    Oh that sucks! Have you tried the local hotels and such rather than public pools?
    If not, do you have room to set up a frame pool in your garden? =) They don't require any digging or planning permission, amazon has them at decent prices.

- Photography Fanpage -

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidFenicia View Post
    I'll be at MCM in London in October
    ah hope you have fun! I'm already doing at least one trip to london this year and that will drain what money I have X_x

I should like to invite you all though, cause I'll be in london for my Graduate Exhibition at the Brick Lane Gallery. 17th - 23rd June, the private view is on the 18th in the evening - I'll post the exact time if anyone's interested in coming. I shall be there and probably be in london on the 17th to help set up the gallery. I'll probably have 2 images in the show from my current project 'The unexplained journey' which is all fantasy/fantastical narrative photography =)

There's a facebook page for the exhibition too: https://www.facebook.com/pages/I-exh...524942?fref=ts

and you can see my photos if you click on the photography page link in my signature <3

(PS. There's a manchester showing of the exhibition the week before for those of you up north - I will post details if anyone's interested in coming x)

- Photography Fanpage -

Lilium- thats awesome i love your photos, im a wedding photographer! I am rather up for your gallery if i can make it with my work roster i will let you know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lilium View Post
    Oh that sucks! Have you tried the local hotels and such rather than public pools?
    If not, do you have room to set up a frame pool in your garden? =) They don't require any digging or planning permission, amazon has them at decent prices.
    indeed it does suck! I have been given permission by one hotel, but the hotel is so hard to get to! I don't drive quite yet, and the hotel itself is kind of a retreat in the middle of a forest, I can take a bus directly to the gates but the drive towards the building is nearly two miles down!

Unfortunately I have no room for a pool either...I'm just a poor boy from a poor family hehe, our front garden is about five foot by six foot, and the back is around the same perhaps a little bigger.

I don't mind the cold river water though especially in my wetsuit...however, a merman wearing a wetsuit does seem a little odd! teehee...

I'm going to Witchfest in London in November, and it got me thinking. Perhaps us UK mers could plan to make a hotel provate for a weekend for our use only (specifically one with a nice pool or two!) and we could have our own British version of a Merfest? perhaps something to think about for the future! We could invite the likes of the merlesque girls to do talks...as well as whoever wants to do their own talks. And have wonderfully mermaid-esque events. or perhaps I'm just a dreamer!

Add Vixy on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lilium View Post
    yup! to MCM in July =)
    Oh awesome! As will I, not sure on the costume yet though! I'm hoping to do a druid from World of Warcraft if I'm able to do and finish it in time. If not it'll be steampunk.

I would also would of loved to go see your Exhibition but I'm busy busy in June as it's the summer and the pirates normally get busy with performing.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidFenicia View Post
    I'll be at MCM in London in October
    As will I I'll probably be seeing you there as well, look for the 501st Legion or the Toy Soldiers Unite as I'm hopefully going to have my Star Wars costume finished to troop with the Legion or my Jedi with the Rebel Legion.

I'm going to Witchfest in London in November, and it got me thinking. Perhaps us UK mers could plan to make a hotel provate for a weekend for our use only (specifically one with a nice pool or two!) and we could have our own British version of a Merfest? perhaps something to think about for the future! We could invite the likes of the merlesque girls to do talks...as well as whoever wants to do their own talks. And have wonderfully mermaid-esque events. or perhaps I'm just a dreamer!
    Come to Cornwall We got amazing hotels and places, let alone the beaches.

Lilium- thats awesome i love your photos, im a wedding photographer! I am rather up for your gallery if i can make it with my work roster i will let you know :-)
    awesome! Details should be posted on the exhibition page nearer to the time but I'll try to repost them here too! =) Even if you can't make it to the opening, I might end up traipsing round london for a day or so on my own so we might be able to meet up or something if your schedule works better that way xx

indeed it does suck! I have been given permission by one hotel, but the hotel is so hard to get to! I don't drive quite yet, and the hotel itself is kind of a retreat in the middle of a forest, I can take a bus directly to the gates but the drive towards the building is nearly two miles down!
    Can you take a bike on the bus? Then you could bike from the bus stop? =) But yeah, I know how annoying that is, one of the nicer places to swim here is the most awkward place for me to get to from where I live. It's like I either have to get a lift there, or get a bus into town and then walk 45+ mins to the place X_x it's like a resort type place with its own golf course etc on the outskirts of town

Unfortunately I have no room for a pool either...I'm just a poor boy from a poor family hehe, our front garden is about five foot by six foot, and the back is around the same perhaps a little bigger.

I don't mind the cold river water though especially in my wetsuit...however, a merman wearing a wetsuit does seem a little odd! teehee...
    *totally tries not to sing the song in her head... and fails* lol and hmmm..... what about trying some lumiere paints on a wetsuit to create something more befitting a merman? =) there's lots of creative ideas you could try.

I've mentioned before that I might be able to talk to some local hotels here in Blackpool (which is pretty easy to get to via train, mega bus or by car) which have their own pools. The one on the outskirts of town would probably be a good bet (it's a de vere) as it has an indoor pool and a heated outdoor pool. They would probably be able to section off some time for us all to use the pool for events, but I could try talking to them =)

Once I'm set up making tails and a little further into my training, I won't mind sponsering an event like that, and I'd be up for doing talks where they'd be useful. I have a lot of transferrable skills from my photography work, I'm a self trained MUA and hair stylist (I'm constantly testing waterproof makeup lol) and I do all sorts of clothes making, prop making etc. I'd love to see some talks by merlesque in the future and maybe we can convince the lovely Raina to come over to do a talk, would probably bump the ticket costs up quite a bit though.

A big event like that is certainly a possibility and I don't mind organising something like that, but for now I'd say 'mini-meets' are probably best, even ones without tails or tailswimming just to meet up with like-minded mers and chat a bit =)

I mean... I live right near Blackpool Pleasure Beach... I'd be up for organising a mers-day-out at the theme park later this year =) (mum's head of HR there too so I might be able to swing us some extra discounts and stuff, I know they do ticket discounts for groups of 10 or more lol) We could pack our tails and head down to the beach afterwards for some photo ops and to enjoy the sunset? I could almost certainly arrange safe storage of our tails too. I might alssoooo be able to swing a visit to the stageworks costume dept.... They make theatrical costumes for the hot ice show and for other performances around the world. Might be interesting for us as performers and creatives =)

- Photography Fanpage -

Oh my Vixy Cornwall would be amazing PLUS it's the location of Ingo...my favourite mermaid book series so far!!

Mermaid Lilium - I think I squealed when you said Blackpool I'm obviously a bit far...but I'm so used to Blackpool considering we went there at least twice a year when i was growing up, up until we had a car accident and couldn't drive anymore. I would LOVE a meet of some kind in Blackpool hehe :3

And ooh you're getting into tail making?? I really would love a silicone tail but so many things are stopping me, mainly I guess I'd like a strong chance I can use it Very often if I'm investing into such an expensive type of tail, and the other thing is I'm sure the shipping alone from the US, along with custom fees would be through the roof. So now I think I'll wait for you to start !! There ya go already getting customers hehe

I have never been to Blackpool, or Cornwall, either would be amazing.
    I don't have my own tail yet, but I'm hoping I'll soon be able to get my own freediving fins and a wetsuit that actually fits properly, I'd definitely be up for a mers day out sometime.

lilium- Londo day out sounds good we can take the cameras :-)
    tall making, I wish we lived closer we could work on a tail project/ tail making group!
    I found a free diving course in Cornwall, they do a leisure one so not forced depth work required, and I'm.sure we could get them to allow tails too if we booked as a small group, it's £215 -for two days though!
    blackpool.is a long way away from me but don't count me out as it sounds fab!

Add Vixy on Facebook
    I've never been to Blackpool, it'll be interesting to go. Unless we go on a route of doing different places, a meet in one place and a meet in another. I would love to see different parts of England so it'll be nice to do.

I'm quite excited at the idea of doing our own meet ups

It would be fun to have a bit of a MerFest-type event in the UK - I'm sure there would be interest from mers from the rest of the Continent too! Some places have pools which are split indoor/outdoor pools which would probably be something to look out for given the weather! But I'm sure I speak for the other Merlesque ladies when I say that we'd be very up for doing some talks on whatever people were interested in hearing about - different aspects of professional mermaiding, I guess!

There are a couple of mermaid-themed events coming up in the UK this summer, although I don't believe either of them are intending to have swimming involved and it's not going to be a mermaid convention type event - but there's the March of the Mermaids in Brighton, and the Folkestone Mermaid Festival as well. Can't remember the dates as I don't have my calendar on me, I'm hopeless without it!
    One of the three Merlesque mermaids from the UK
    Website ~ Facebook ~ Twitter ~ Youtube

Add Vixy on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondine View Post
    There are a couple of mermaid-themed events coming up in the UK this summer, although I don't believe either of them are intending to have swimming involved and it's not going to be a mermaid convention type event - but there's the March of the Mermaids in Brighton, and the Folkestone Mermaid Festival as well. Can't remember the dates as I don't have my calendar on me, I'm hopeless without it!
    There's plenty of pirate events or faires going on around the country too.

Although now I got visions of a group of mermaids with pirates at one of those events :P

Oh my Vixy Cornwall would be amazing PLUS it's the location of Ingo...my favourite mermaid book series so far!!
    I've read those books too I like em as well.

Mermaid Lilium - I think I squealed when you said Blackpool I'm obviously a bit far...but I'm so used to Blackpool considering we went there at least twice a year when i was growing up, up until we had a car accident and couldn't drive anymore. I would LOVE a meet of some kind in Blackpool hehe :3
    well once I've graduated in July I'll start organising something - can you guys start thinking of a date you'd want this to be? =) I'd say late august but some people will be busy with festivals and stuff around then. Pleasure Beach is open til the first week of November x

And ooh you're getting into tail making?? I really would love a silicone tail but so many things are stopping me, mainly I guess I'd like a strong chance I can use it Very often if I'm investing into such an expensive type of tail, and the other thing is I'm sure the shipping alone from the US, along with custom fees would be through the roof. So now I think I'll wait for you to start !! There ya go already getting customers hehe
    YYYup, I'm much delayed on when I wanted to start sculpting for molds... we're soon going to be moving into temporary rental accom cause our house is being sold in like a month's time and mum can't get a mortgauge cause of her ex she owns this house with, wrecking her credit rating and stuff. Once we're in a proper house (me and my husband live with mum and my brother)I can start sculpting for my own tail and the first commercial design...FINALLY lol

And if you're seriously interested, there's a thread on here where I shared some of my designs - I've been designing a special range of 'plant' based tails =) Miyu is lined up to commission a cherry blossom tail once she's saved up. I'll dig out the link if you struggle to find it. Or you can click on the link in my signature to my mermaid page on fb and I shared the album on there with all the drawings and such. Hopefully I can find ways of keeping material costs down because yes you'll save on rediculous postage costs but the materials that everyone wants (dragonskin silicone) cost more to import. Would you care if I used a european equivelant silicone out of interest? =)

lilium- Londo day out sounds good we can take the cameras :-)
    tall making, I wish we lived closer we could work on a tail project/ tail making group!
    I found a free diving course in Cornwall, they do a leisure one so not forced depth work required, and I'm.sure we could get them to allow tails too if we booked as a small group, it's £215 -for two days though!
    blackpool.is a long way away from me but don't count me out as it sounds fab!
    Aye =) I haven't been to london since I was around 8... so I'm going to use a day off to be mega tourist

And we could always communicate on facebook if you'd like about tail designs etc? I'm going to be commercially selling tails once we're in the new house etc so you could always commission me too at some point =)

And that course sounds awesome... cornwall's awkward for me to get to but could be done ^_^ I'll nosey around when I have time and see if there's any good ones up north too xx

Quote Originally Posted by Ondine View Post
    It would be fun to have a bit of a MerFest-type event in the UK - I'm sure there would be interest from mers from the rest of the Continent too! Some places have pools which are split indoor/outdoor pools which would probably be something to look out for given the weather! But I'm sure I speak for the other Merlesque ladies when I say that we'd be very up for doing some talks on whatever people were interested in hearing about - different aspects of professional mermaiding, I guess!

Awesome would be interesting to hear you guys talk about being a pro mermaid in England and your approach to it.

I'm also hoping to get to brighton for the march of the mermaids... juuuust depends on funds X_x

The de vere here in blackpool has an indoor pool and heated outdoor pool which is the only one to have that set up in blackpool, it's also accross the road from stanley park which has a huge lake in it - I could find out from the council if it's save for wild swimming with their permission. The only issue is that the de vere is a bit of a hike from the center of town and the beach (like a 45 min walk or a £6ish taxi ride) and it's the more expensive hotel in blackpool but they might do a group booking discount or something. Oh and the de vere is right next to blackpool zoo if anyone would be interested (which has sealions and penguins and I'm sure I could arrange a chance to go in and meet the sealions for a small group of us if we get things organised and confirmed with enough warning). All the other hotels in the center of town have smaller indoor pools and the council run pools and the sandcastle indoor waterpark don't allow fin swimming. x

- Photography Fanpage -