Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Mers from the British Isles!

Add Vixy on Facebook
    So I kinda plugged the idea of mermaid entertainers down here in Cornwall. The lady I spoke to who works at one of those children's play worlds seems quite keen on the idea on having mermaids on her events. Now just get a tail :P But I also mentioned about having a mini con one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Martha View Post
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm really hoping this message works because i completely suck at all things computery!
    I am new to mernetwork but not new to mermaiding. I'm a freediver and only found out a few months ago that you can buy realistic tails so i have been saving ever since i found out! Very excited to have found other mers in the UK, Mernetwork has a lot of US mermaids and I didnt think there were many of us!
    I have a question about any mer-festival/cons/get together things that might be happening or might be in the future? I was just wondering because it would be fun to meet up with everyone x
    Mermaid Lilium and I are planning on meeting up for the Manchester MCM in July.

Hi Everyone!
    I'm really hoping this message works because i completely suck at all things computery!
    I am new to mernetwork but not new to mermaiding. I'm a freediver and only found out a few months ago that you can buy realistic tails so i have been saving ever since i found out! Very excited to have found other mers in the UK, Mernetwork has a lot of US mermaids and I didnt think there were many of us!
    I have a question about any mer-festival/cons/get together things that might be happening or might be in the future? I was just wondering because it would be fun to meet up with everyone x
    Hello! Welcome!

There's quite a few of us as you may have seen and maybe by the time you save up, i'll be offering silicone tails if you'd be interested
    At the moment I'm meeting up with vixy in manchester in july at MCM con, and I think some people are going to a london anime con. I'm also possibly meeting up with people in london june 17th-18th while i'm down for my graduate show.

I'm probably going to be arranging a meet-up in blackpool for late august/early september. Probably a day at the pleasure beach and then chilling out on the beach in our tails afterwards, weather permitting =) Next year I might try to arrange a 2-day event or something, based at one of the local hotels and get some talks and decent events organised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamanaka View Post
    arghh you should have said before I went into Wilkinsons yesterday :-) I made a little hair accessory but I'm planning a bigger less rushed piece.
    aw j think spandex would still look fine, you may have to make both as you do have the fabric :-)
    when are you doing the sunrise shoot? 5.30am is still later than my start tomorrow and I don't get to hang out on the beach :-)

I made my new navy and gold tail today, so pleased with the scale fabric I got, I know need to track it down in every colour!
    Sorryyyy! At least you know for next time =) they also had a little mermaid tank decoration for like £1 too, she's now sat above the fireplace lol
    Don't bother with the 'airator' type ones btw, they're too fluffy to work for hair clips etc.

Maybe I'll sell a couple of custom spandex tails this summer to raise money for my silicone... hmmm
    and we're planning on a 5.30 shoot, will have to do her hair and makeup before-hand so probably a 4am start X_x I'm fairly nocturnal by nature so should be interesting lol and yayyyy! Excited to see photos of this tail and the fabric =)

and on the note of whether it's worth doing fabric tails first - YEP! Definately! It's worth making a cheap tail to practise in for the time being to get used to having your legs bound together in the water xx
    User previously known as "Kat Arnold".

- Mermaid Lilium Fanpage -
    - Photography Fanpage -

Hi Mermaid Lilium!
    The con sounds good but unfortunately I'm not around during the mcm in Manchester.

Do you have any pictures of silicone tails your making? Or any progress shots? I would be very interested in a UK seller as the US costing charges are ridiculous!

Ill have a think about a fabric tail as it might just be fun to play around with!

Hi Mermaid Lilium!
    The con sounds good but unfortunately I'm not around during the mcm in Manchester.

Do you have any pictures of silicone tails your making? Or any progress shots? I would be very interested in a UK seller as the US costing charges are ridiculous!

Ill have a think about a fabric tail as it might just be fun to play around with!
    there's a thread somewhere on here with some sketches etc I have, you can also find them on my fb mermaid page (link in my signature)

Sadly not been able to start sculpting etc for tail yet, have to wait til later in the year to start doing that and constructing tails. I'm actually making a fabric tail tonight so will be posting a behind the scenes pic of it and the shoot on wednesday morning, on my instagram (katherinearnold) So feel free to have a nosey at those pics and the photos of me making other stuff for my shoots.

I'm going to be making my own silicone tail later this year, and want to do this before I consider selling them to work out the kinks in the process and to give you guys an example of my work. =)

I'll soon be hunting down some european equivelant materials for the silicone tails to keep costs down, otherwise the tails will be really expensive as I would have to be importing dragonskin from america. So should have a better price guide in a month or so x

- Photography Fanpage -

Mermaid lilium
    I would reply with what you said I'm my reply but my phone won't let me!

I can't find your sketches so I don't suppose you could pop a link on here? I have searched on here and in Facebook and can't find them.

I will definitely keep an eye out for those shoot pics!

Lilium can't wait to see the shoot pics, I love the crown you made- clever idea! :-) I added you on Instagram.

Im debating a sequin neoprene tail, with ail, with the huge shell sequins, the added weight might also help? Quite a costly project but maybe one for the future?

hey guys the link to the sketches ablum is... https://www.facebook.com/stargirlpho...7072344&type=1

and the thread on here is.... http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ight=suggested

I think I'm going to be reshooting the mermaid shoot from wednesday just due to how grainy the images turned out due to crappy weather killing the light levels >_< will give me the chance to properly finish the tail though! Gotta add this gold/orange taffetta sections to the fluke and velcro to secure the end of the fluke, and I want to paint a scale design on it to make it more realistic... on the plus side it fitted like a glove lol

and yeah i'm wanting to make a sequin tail at some point in the future - I'll be just painting my neoprene tail at first but at some point I'll be taking it in when I shift some weight so might re-make it with sequins to get a decent second use out of the tail =)

sequin tails take a long time so my suggestion is to paint it and gradually cover it with sequins - the paint just means you can use the tail in the meantime x

- Photography Fanpage -

Ah grain, I hate using high ISOs it's usually dim lit churches that make me curse a little, when the use of flash of banned too!
    I like the gold tail :-) that sounds a plan with the neoprene tail, plus means you get a painted tail and then get to experience a sequin one too! I just want somewhere I can swim, went to my local pool today and I loved the 3.8metre depth, at reception I asked about fin and mask use and she said I wouldn't be allowed to use either at all, but then I asked a lifeguard and he said if it's quiet I can use my fin and I can use my mask anyway, so that's a small result now need to figure out pool quiet times!

Add Vixy on Facebook
    Oh wow, there's plenty of things to do down here for when I get my tail. Pirates festivals with tall ships, and plenty other things. I think I'm gonna look at organising a mini con down here if anyone is interested in going?

Senior Member Euro Pod SiaTheMermaid's Avatar
    Add SiaTheMermaid on Facebook
    Hey everyone!

I'm new to all of this; the forum posting, mermaiding etc. but I thought I would look around on here to see what is happening in the UK (since the majority of mermaids are in the US) I'm from Scotland, Edinburgh to be precise and I was just wondering if there was anyone else nearby? Doing this sort of thing in Scotland may seem a bit... eccentric to some people so it would be nice to meet some of you at our very own version of a Merfest.

Thanks for the sketches lilium! They look amazing! I really like the first design.
    Hello Sia! I think organising a UK merfest is a great idea! However Edinburgh is very north so a middle ground might need to be found for an easy meet up
    Welcome to a new mer from the UK

Thanks Martha!

Yeah Edinburgh is a bit too north, even for myself. Although it does host an arts festival every year which could be very useful to a mermaid with a travelling tank, just putting that out there for you folks incase it applies to you.

It might be something to consider in the future especially if in the future I get the funds together to commission a portable tank so that we could all perform at the festival =) but a middle-ground location is probably better for now so that more people are able to attend as there's not tons of us in the UK

Martha I'm glad you like the first sketch - that's the design for my own personal silicone one will be done in purple and black and be rather gothic looking =)

and guys I FINALLEH just handed in the last of my uni work, so other than helping sort stuff out for the exhibitions, I'm done and free of uni this means I'll have time to organise an event. If I were to organise an event for august, the week before the bank holiday weekend, would people be able to attend? On the tuesday?
    and would you want it to JUST be ONE day, meet up in the morning and get trains home in the afternoon, or should I talk to the local hotels with pools about organising something for at least one overnight stay for everyone and possibly hiring the pool for us to use privately? I was thinking that a multi-day meet might be a bit much for everyone this first year money wise, but if everyone wants to come and wants to stay over to do a bit more than just one day then I can start making calls xx

list of some possible things to do:

- Pleasure beach (something to do when Ideally you can get to blackpool for 10am and spend the day there til at least 2/3pm)
    - Mess around on the beach (was thinking after being at PB cause I could organise storage of our tails, I already mentioned it to Mum and she doesn't think her bosses would have a problem with that)
    - sealife centre (also has pirate themed indoor mini golf)
    - Blackpool tower, tower dungeons, madame tussauds. (you can buy a multi pass which gets you into these plus the sealife centre which saves some money if we'd be doing all of them)
    - Hire one of the hotel pools
    - Sandcastle waterpark (heated indoor waterpark with slides etc but they don't allow fin swimming)
    - Might be able to organise a boat excursion but would have to do some reasearch on that one

- Photography Fanpage -

I would love to attend a meet up, but i'll probably be there for just the one day due to finances (The life of a student, UGH) but I definitely think it is something we should do especially for those who don't have a more local group of people to meet up with.

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar
    I'm from Angus and there is meant to be some kind of meet up in the summer for us scottish mermaids.
    Scottish mer i think is organising it. I don't know if its an official thing or if we are all just meeting up for a swim, i think its the later.

There is? I'm trying to remember if I've seen it mentioned before. I think I have... My memory is really bad haha

Hi Sia, I live down South but I spent a lot if time in Scotland, I night stop in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen :-)

Lilium- that's awesome well done :-) so happy you managed to finish it all, such a relief and now you can have some time to make a tail fur yourself :-)
    a meet up sounds fantastic to me, I would only be able to make an overnight things as it's so far for me, hiring a hotel pool would be fantastic, I swam in a hotel pool yesterday for pretty much the whole day in my fin! Amazing and the pool was lovely and quiet too :-)

Hi Kamanaka Why would you want to spend a lot of time up here? It's freezing But it is really pretty though so I guess that saves it ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Kamanaka View Post
    Hi Sia, I live down South but I spent a lot if time in Scotland, I night stop in Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen :-)

Lilium- that's awesome well done :-) so happy you managed to finish it all, such a relief and now you can have some time to make a tail fur yourself :-)
    a meet up sounds fantastic to me, I would only be able to make an overnight things as it's so far for me, hiring a hotel pool would be fantastic, I swam in a hotel pool yesterday for pretty much the whole day in my fin! Amazing and the pool was lovely and quiet too :-)
    okiedokes. Is there anyone else who would be attending overnight this year if we book for mid september (aka once the schools are back in)?
    and is a weekday or weekend event better? Need answers guys so I can start organising this

- Photography Fanpage -

Add Vixy on Facebook
    I'm busy 19-21st and I can't promise anything. But if I'm free I'm up for it.