Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How difficult is it to swim in a silicone tail vs a swimsuit fabric (w monofin) tail?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    I also think they share tails? It seems like it would be easier to share fabric than silicone ones.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

They also have to do some quick changes for the shows, as well as moving around in the "back stage." Not possible in a silicone tail

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    And lastly but not least, it is MUCH easier to move around in a fabric tail than a silicone tail. They can do more choreography in fabric. They also have a TON of fabric tails so that they can change it up a lot. Fabric tails are also safer. They're easy to take off if need be. And yes cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I do waterballet in tails, and I don't think any of my moves would be doable in a silicone tail.
    For certain none of those that go above the surface, anyway.

I also have more manoeverability, which is essential for synchro/dance.
    Then there are the choreographies where I start out of the water, then jump in.
    Yea...
    not to mention if you're in a group doing fast costume changes

Quote Originally Posted by Miyu View Post
    I also think they share tails? It seems like it would be easier to share fabric than silicone ones.
    I've heard this, too. As already mentioned, imagine how expensive it would be to have a silicone tail for every performer! I doubt they could be widely shared because of how custom sized silicone tails are. Yeesh!

And through music my soul began to soar...~

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Adrienne's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Adrienne on Facebook
    hmm... well, since I've owned and swam in both now... I would say that silicone tails are more constricting so you cannot move your legs out of place while swimming... and fabric tails give more freedom and therefore don't allow you to do tricks to the precision point perfect. I don't exactly know how to explain it though.... its like... your legs are flailing everywhere in a fabric and a silicone you cant do that because you're snug. It's a slightly weird feeling when you first get into a silicone. I think the benefit of a fabric is that the back doesnt pop open while you're swimming.