Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MY mermaid creations tail...

I'M NOT WAITING FOR IT TO BE TAKEN IN!!

Again there are no issues with my tail.

I'm tired if no one else speaking up for Jesse. One bad trail and you ask go for blood. This is not the community I want to be part of. I fear fit any tail maker who strips up and makes a mistake or slightly imperfect product. Be ware vthe mob mentality.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    You're over reacting chill out.

No. I'm just sick and tired of know it alls.

The way you pick apart your tail from him. A GIFT.. that makes me sick.

I dint think I'm over reacting at all. In fact.. you all are underacting.. does no one else see how horrible it is for her to pick apart a gift?..

Your tail was only the first or second one he made.. so what it's not perfect. But to use it to further your opinions.. I've lost respect for you.

The reactions this community has makes me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Settle in folks, I am about the write a book.

Before I get into this I want to say I am not trying to throw Jesse under the bus. Jesse is a kind and loving person with a lot of passion. I think he - like so many others- bit off way more than he could chew way sooner than he should of. It's my understanding when he's done his orders, he'll be done with tail making. He is just trying to get through them all while working full time.

I have had concerns about Jesse's tails since the start. But I never felt like it would be appropriate for me to voice them publicly. in 2012 with no warning, Jesse gifted us with his own version of a splash tail. He wanted us to test it out, give him feedback, and help promote his work. Given the circumstances of receiving something for free, I never felt like I could publicly say anything. It was a prototype, it was free. But the reason I do say things to people in private is because all of the issues with our tail are present in currently made tails. Meaning Jesse hasn't improved much on his technique since making ours, and I think it's important people realize that.

There are a few issues with our tail that pretty much ever single MC customer I've ever known has had (they tell me personally or I can see it in photos, or I witnessed it at merfest) even in BRAND NEW tails. To date I have only known two people that are totally happy with their tail. one still has a certain problem that I'll list here. The other had to have the fluke replaced because it was too heavy and is waiting for it to be resized. (something I'll address too) Nothing against either mers but when I look at their tails I still see the problems I am about to list, and I think they're issue people should be aware of before they buy. I have been trying to hint at them all over the forum or I'll directly PM people to avoid drama. Now I think it's best to just get it out in the open even if it causes me drama...

Perma Wet- Despite a conversations on here, and my feedback from our own tail, jesse still uses perma wet. It's what gives the tail the shiny look. The problem with perma wet is that it's latex so it never fully cures over the silicone. It will peel off and take colour with it. And you can't repaint overtop of the permawet. It wont stick. Our tail peeled like crazy and I see peeling in most MC tails I see onilne. I had warned christian about the use of perma wet and suggested he be very vocal about not wanting it on things if he wanted to be able to repaint later. Raven was going to touch up my MC tail for me and was unable to because of the perma wet. Latex is also a concern when exposing it to kids. Jesse DOES use it. He admitted it on this forum and there was drama when he tried to delete the post after people calling him on it- admins can attest to that-, and I saw it first hand on tails at NC Merfest. I'm not sure if he used it on Christians tail or not because I advised Christian not to let him use it and I know Christian had spoken to him about it. I have been advising all his clients to ask him to not use it. Extra silicone can certainly be used as a clear coat. Extra silicone doesn't peel off. Extra silicone can be painted over. The majority of Jesse's tails have perma wet.

Thickness- Jesse tail's are the thickest on the market. Inches thick which make for heavier than they need to be tails, and hard to get on. They're thick because he doesn't know how to paint on top of the silicone. He achieve the colours by layering pigmented silicone until it gets to be as dark as he wants. If you're dealing with a lighter colour, it takes way more layers. Same with multiple colours. It shouldnt matter how wide the fluke is- mine is 38 inches wide and I can lift it with ease. the colour ends up streaky and I see the same issue in others as we have in ours in that it ends up over time becoming transparent. You can see bathing suit and legs right through our tail. I photoshop it constantly. Because there are so many layers of silicone that have had different curing times, they can end up separating which is what happened to ours. Our tail split into 3 and I had to sew all along the seams and the waist with clear line to reinforce it. You can go on about it being your own fault that you're not strong enough to lift Jesse's fluke but the fact is... Jesse's tails are the heaviest on the market. That's not really a clients fault, and comes directly from layering.

Attachment 25842

monofin- Jesse hasn't figured out how to glue down the monofins, and since the fluke are so thick and fill up with water it makes it not only super heavy to lift because it collects water, it makes the seams of the fluke spit open under pressure. Also, the monofin edges poke through the fluke. This happened to ours and has happened to most people I know with an MC tail. The monfins are also very noticeable. Our monofin poked through the silicone very early on, and this past summer our fluke split into two pieces. I have had many people email me about the same issues. Because it's not glued down the fluke can also get filled up with mold like ours did.

Seams- very sloppy on practically every tail I see it's just less noticeable on darker colours. You can see on christian's tail they're awful along with the lines where extra fins are attached.

Just sharing some pics of ours to back up what I'm saying. I'd point it out on other tails but I don't wanna make any other mers feel bad.

This is the day we got our MC tail, you can see in spots the perma wet is already coming off, the monfin isn't glued down and paint is very streaky and see through

look at that seam to the right of this photo... :/ I always photo shop it out or have a mermaid wear a scarf over it. I saw this on new tails at NCMerfest...

You can see that seam and sloppy paint right here (flash made the orange look blood red)

Most of the photos you see of our tail on our pages have been heavily photoshopped.

I bring up these points because I STILL SEE THEM ON BRAND NEW TAILS and I don't think that's okay! You may have noticed I never wear this tail?? I tried it once and found it almost impossible to put on and way too thick when I was trying to swim. For me personally the fluke had no push. So I put it on mermaids who are smaller than I am and they have an easier time. I tried to give Jesse feedback when he first gave me the tail but he wasnt very receptive.

It breaks my heart to see Christian get a tail that is so sub par and on the same level as the first one he made so long ago.

I had warned Christian about a few things but Christian wanted to give his friend a chance and really believed Jesse could fufill his dreams. I am heart broken that ontop of all these issues it doesnt even fit him. Adding insult to injury for sure.

So many people have contacted me about their MC tails with complaints and Christian is the first review I've felt actually hit the nail on the head. I hope more people will post them. There are a lot of unhappy clients but no one wants to say anything.

These are all things people need to consider when buying from him. Though it seems like he wont be taking new orders in the future.

I am sorry I wasn't more up front about our tail. I hope people can understand the predicament I was in. I tried to post accurate photos though so people could see for themselves in my thread. I was shocked when I saw the state of brand new tails at NCMerfest and I know several people who got their tails refunded right away including Cicero (a NCMerfest attendant)

I will always be grateful for the tail- it allowed my sister to enjoy mermaiding. I always tried to give Jesse good photos and I gave him a good (but still honest) recommendation when the Hawaii Oceanarium contacted me to see what I thought of his tails. I think it's an example of taking on too much too soon before you really know your product and your clients.
    I've noticed all of this before Raina, I always wondered why they were still showing up in tail after tail after tail and why he was still using the perma wet too. At first, I was contemplating getting a tail from him when he first started taking orders but after seeing photos of tails he did and a few preferences I have (like I don't like the shiny look or the way he doesn't blend the paint or the very very tiny scales) I decided not to risk getting a tail I didn't love. (obviously I still don't have a silicone tail haha, but that's because money is especially tight now and I can't decide on a tail maker)

She wasn't picking it apart at all. It was a gift, yes, but it is a gift that is now a product sold to others. Raina is right to share her opinion on the issues with the tail--while it was INCREDIBLY early, to see the same issues arising on tails made now is a major issue to any consumer. Especially issues like this.

Your opinion is understandable--you're happy with your tail! FANTASTIC! But others have issues with them and it's not right to disregard them entirely simply because they aren't issues you experience. This same situation has gone down several times with Eric's work.

No one is attacking Jesse. Anywhere. You just keep insisting on twisting the convo that way and ignore huge parts of what's been said. You need to take a break. People have been more than understanding of Jesse while still being objective about the tails. This is one of the most considerate threads critiquing a tail on this site because everyone knows Jesse isn't a scammer. Chill out and take a break. You don't need to defend him cuz no ones attacking.

Really you've just taken it to the level of personal attacking. No one else has at all.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by nerinethemermaid View Post
    The way you pick apart your tail from him. A GIFT.. that makes me sick.

Jesse ASKED Raina for her opinion when he gave it to her, as well as asking to promote his work. It would be disingenuous of her to do anything BUT give an honest review of the flaws.

Your tail was only the first or second one he made.. so what it's not perfect.

Raina noted that. The point is, those same issues still exist in his recent tails.

I'm tired if no one else speaking up for Jesse. One bad trail and you ask go for blood. This is not the community I want to be part of. I fear fit any tail maker who strips up and makes a mistake or slightly imperfect product. Be ware vthe mob mentality.
    Nerine, No one is going for Jesse. Jesse runs a business and as such, people are allowed to voice opinions and critique his work, as people pay lots and lots of money for his product and they shouldn't be getting less than what they paid for. Yes, he's human, and yes human make mistakes, but humans also learn from those mistakes but Jesse keeps making the same mistakes over and over again in his tails that bring the quality down that Raina has said she's brought to his attention (and maybe a few other have, I know I've messaged him asking him questions about his tails and voicing my concerns for various things). Jesse seems to be set in the way he does things as his tails aren't improving in quality at all, and as such his company and work will come under careful scrutiny.

I honestly think the best thing that can be done here is for mers CURRENTLY waiting for the last of his tails, since he is closing shop, to personally deal with the issues brought up in this thread- which it looks like they are, in a kind and helpful way towards Jesse.

Christian posting this thread just helps those who are getting his last orders to see what can possibly be avoided in order to have a happy transaction, both for Jesse and for the customer. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. When you have paid a LARGE amount of money for a product, it is perfectly acceptable to do everything you can to make sure that the product is satisfactory on both your end and the artist's.

I don't see this as a mob-up on anyone. I'm sure it was a less than fun experience for both people involved in the original post, but it's over now and all that can be done is move forward and make sure the rest of his clients don't have the same experience. <3
    I'll be a Finfolk Mersister in January!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I feel horrible for Jesse. There is not much worse than getting overwhelmed like that. I had that happen with my jewelry business and had to stop doing custom order for that reason. I hope he does keep making tails, even if it's only once in a while or for artistic purposes. I'm sure at the beginning, he really enjoyed doing it and it would be a shame to quit that outlet all together. My MC tail has flaws, sure, but I do like it.

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    Continuing on fro what Maressa has said, I have found this top be a very helpful thread. I have taken into account what the issues are have been discussing things with Jesse to make sure they are not the same with mine, for example I am going to ask him to add drainage holes and my tail is also going to be thinner because he is using a new technique of painting it for him.

Yes there has been some frustration with some tails and people have the right to express their opinions but I have seen this much more as an informative thread about how to make his future tails batter rather than slating his work. That's my opinion anyway!
    User formerly known as "Samantha".

That was the whole point. I've always shared it with people in PM and just said, "make sure you ask about ____" or "Make sure you tell him you want ____" to make sure people get what they want. Jesse is a good guy, people just need to know what they're buying is all.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania OceanRose's Avatar
    Yeah sometimes things need to get to a head, and things get brought out into the open otherwise nobody gets better because they ignore issues.

It sounds like the kinks could be ironed out judging by some of the posts here, I hope he has opportunities to carry on with improved techniques but if not, I know there are people out there who's dreams have come true because of him.

Just a side thought: Isn't trying to promote a product that you know doesn't work, just a little bit unethical?

There's one thing I'll give Jesse though, his flukes look the most 'natural' in the water IMHO.

I wouldn't expect neriene to say anything negative while she is waiting for her tail to be taken in.
    Actually she can't have the tail taken in. Because of the permawet, if the tail was taken in the pain job would be messed up (with the blue and white stripes) and Jesse said it can not be repainted. Which makes sense, becuase permawet. Last I heard she was going to have a whole new body made and put on the tail. She's already had the fluke entirely replaced because of the issue with the monofin poking through and tearing the fluke. Even though it was his design flaw she paid for it.

Edit: Sorry Neriene, made this post before I saw you already posted to this thread! Didn't mean to talk like you weren't here at all when you were, I apologize!
    Last edited by Winged Mermaid; 12-13-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: PS

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    Jesse told me the other day he doesn't use Permawet and doest even know how to use it. So I am a bit confused as to all these issues if he doesn't.
    User formerly known as "Samantha".

I was asked to promote. Did you see me promote? I never tell anyone anywhere go buy one of these tails. I always caution people. In the same way I manage to be neutral these days about mertailor. He still gets credit for our old tail, I try to be positive for others, without promoting his work. Thats how i handle my mc tail too. But nice trolling attempt there. Its getting old.

Yeah Iona can back me up and I'm sure other mers too about how there were comments by Jesse later deleted about him using permawet. I can show you exactly what it looks like when my tail is back in a week and those of you who own your own can check yourselves.
    And Iona's history of nerienes tail is what I've been reading all over here and fb since she got it...

Yeah Iona can back me up and I'm sure other mers too about how there were comments by Jesse later deleted about him using permawet. I can show you exactly what it looks like when my tail is back in a week and those of you who own your own can check yourselves.
    And Iona's history of nerienes tail is what I've been reading all over here and fb since she got it...
    Yeah, he commented in several places here and I think on FB as well on how he uses permawet on top of his silicone tails. Later he said that he didn't use it I went back to find the comments where he said he did... and they were gone. Also, why would he be unable to repaint/touch up paint otherwise? And also, why would it start peeling off of his tails, taking some of the paint with it? I think Raina even had a tailmaker look at it and they verified it was permawet (let me know if I'm remembering wrong). I also know that no clear coat of silicone I've seen looks as shiny and wet as his tails do, and no offense to him, but many of the other tailmakers experiment with materials a lot and therefore tend to know more about silicone materials. So... I mean it all adds up.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Yes and I had a person from wetta look at both my tails and it was the first thing he asked about ( I've got a photo with the guy on my fb did gig for his niece )