Thread: Hair Extensions and Swimming

Hair Extensions and Swimming

Does anyone have experience with hair extensions? I REALLY want long, thick mermaid hair, but God gave me thin, fine, mid-length hair instead. So, hair extensions!

But what works best when swimming? Clips ins, beaded, glued, sewn, or what? I do plan to use real human hair, high quality extensions, I just don't know what looks best underwater. I fear people SEEING the extensions and the hair not looking natural when wet. Thoughts?
    Laura the Mermaid of The MerFriends
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

I've been doing extensions in my hair for YEARS. I've always done fused (glue) hair extensions and those are one of the best to use when it comes to hair extensions. The thing is though - if you get fused extensions you can't go into chlorinated pools. Chlorinated water literally melts the glue and the hair in the extension will fall out. It was an AWFUL experience, I was shedding like a dog. They're also a lot of upkeep. You have to brush your hair with a special brush multiple times a day, you need Cinderalla shampoo & condition (specifically for extensions). They get tangled so beyond easily, it's insane. Your hair can mat up if you don't take care of them. So it's really a big decision if you decide to do fused extensions with being a professional mermaid.
    Mermaids&Anchors

^ Btw, I'm a Cosmetologist & my specialty is extensions & deadlocks.
    Mermaids&Anchors

I've had braided and beaded extensions, and from my experience, I would rather not let them free when swimming, they'd get tangled way too easily, especially at the roots.
    So what I do is that I braid my hair into 0.5 to 1cm wide braids, that way I can let my hair long, and not have 3hours of untangling after swimming XD
    If you don't want to braid the whole length, I'd recommend a hairdo that would maintain the roots of your hair in place so that it won't get tangled (^-^)

I've tried faux dreadlocks (braided in) and found they were fine so long as the roots were kept in place (like Kitty Kyuppi described).
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    I also recommend some sort of faux dreadlocks/yarn braids/braided extensions (where the whole thing is braided straight down to the end, like the club kids and ravers used to do). When hair's sectioned off and secured like that, it can take a lot more of a beating and still be salvageable at the end. I've braided friends' and clients' hair for festivals like Burning Man, and they've come back wit hair totally untouched by the evil corrosive playa dust because I had completely encased their hair in braids!

It still flows nicely in water, and I personally think that if mers were real, some of the more realistic hairstyles they might have (if any) would be dreads, braids, or short/shaved, just because of the practicality of keeping long, flowing hair in the ocean

I have super-fine hair, and so do a lot of my friends, and I just love giving us all pretty Rapunzel hair for a while

mermaids-and-anchors, woohoo for a fellow dreadlock artist!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

I agree; I personally love the look of braids and dreadlocks on mermaids (and mermen). It reminds me of octopus tentacles. XD

I met Mermaid Nerei while in Michigan (she was one of the Merbella mermaids I helped out with) and she had some gorgeous dreadlocks. It made for awesome underwater photos.
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    I would say tat is you get extensions what are not raided or dreaded, bring a lot of conditioner. I swim with mermaid lily rose and the hours we have sent in the shower afterwards in the shower trying to brush out all the knots ans she lost a lot of it.Be prepared!
    User formerly known as "Samantha".

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Raven had hers done professionally as part of a gig. She loved them but they were loads of work and expensive to maintain.

Hannah fraser actually has really short hair and wears extensions always.

Hannah's actual hair length

With extensions:

Iara also wears hair extensions

Both women swim in hair extensions/wigs

Personally I found pony tail extensions worked really well- I just couldnt get one in my current color. I'll be getting my first set of hair extensions at merfest from eden to wear for the ball!

I swim in mostly chlorinated water, so fused is definitely out. That dreaded look DOES look cool under water. I have a good deal on clip ins, so I might try those. I will let everyone know how it goes.
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Anyone have pictures or videos of mers swimming with extensions- or advice on sewn in vs. clip ins? Def not going with glued in or fused as I swim mostly in chlorinated waters.
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

All Hannah's are extensions in videos

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Wow I had no idea hair extensions could look so good! I guess it's because if you notice them, they're poorly done, and if well done, you'd never know?

The only time I saw it as obvious on hanah was when she swam with the great white. beyond that really seamlessly done

What do you think she does- sew them in or clips? I'd ask her at NC MerFest, but I want mine done by then. :-p
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

I think she clips em in because she changes her hair pretty frequently. Iara will be there too and you can ask her!