Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: finally starting the template for my fluke!

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Mermaid Jamie View Post
    I tried a similar resin. While it does work it takes a long time to cure and you will need alot of it to make the mold.

I use fiberglass resin. It works the same way but its cheaper and available at any place that sells stuff for body work on cars. As long as you dont have clay that melts I recommend that instead. A resin/cloth mix will make a stronger lighter mold then just resin.
    Well, I poured the resin, so lets hope in a day or two it will have set correctly....if it's too thin...I may have to pour another coat over.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Cool fin! You're a natural sculptor!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Cool fin! You're a natural sculptor!

hahahahaha thanks. That was the first time I had actually sculpted anything before. I am good with pencil to paper, as you already know...but I am so ready for this!

Nice fins!

I found the thicker the layer the longer it took. Mine was over 1/4 inch thick and took almost 2 days to dry. The clear stuff can get pretty hot when you mix it. I didnt make it thick enough but my second layer didnt stick to the first layer. But I didnt sand it in between and I think thats why.

I hope it turns out awesome. Its a very nice fin!
    If you can't stand upon the water I will meet you on the ocean floor

Well, it has turned out that I need to buy some more resin. I sadly used something for the barrier that was too wide and didn't keep enough resin on the fin itself. I also just created an ankle fin here's a pic of the both together...you might be able to tell that the resin is much too thin. Name:  fins 2.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  34.5 KB all in all I am really enjoying it The fluke is gonna be a crazy bitch though.

I make a clay base, put my sculpt on that, press in the edges some to seal it to the base, then I make a clay wall around the sculpt, staying close to it. That way, you don't have to waste all that resin in the negative space in a regular box. You can see photos of it in my tailmaking thread where I made my fluke and fins.

I make a clay base, put my sculpt on that, press in the edges some to seal it to the base, then I make a clay wall around the sculpt, staying close to it. That way, you don't have to waste all that resin in the negative space in a regular box. You can see photos of it in my tailmaking thread where I made my fluke and fins.
    Thanks Pearlie! I'll definitely have to check out your thread because I know I'm definitely going to need some help with the actual molding process for my tail especially for the fluke and the side find because the resin that I've bought doesn't seem to be working as well as I had hoped. I'm going to buy one more kit of the same resin and just because I started with that particular brand but then I'm going to go ahead and do something else. I really appreciate the tips. I kinda jumped into this with a lot left research than I thought I had actually already had Palmer songify going out with you a whole lot more research because one, I won't be able to buy my silicone another month. I'm the kind of person that gets really excited about something and just wants to start it immediately as soon as I have any of the products that are necessary for the final product. Once again thanks a lot for your help, I'll be in touch with you for a few questions if you have any time to answer them.

If there's anything you should NOT rush into, it's flinging around resin and rubber. It's just too expensive! Do your research first! I will be able to help more after Merfest, so spend the time to read up (not just my thread) and refine your sculpting. Make sure the fins you are making are exactly the way you want them before making molds.

If there's anything you should NOT rush into, it's flinging around resin and rubber. It's just too expensive! Do your research first! I will be able to help more after Merfest, so spend the time to read up (not just my thread) and refine your sculpting. Make sure the fins you are making are exactly the way you want them before making molds.
    I do actually really like the fins as they are. I might.elongate the fluke a bit more, add different details etc. Thanks!

Alright, first fin was a total bust! I forgot to put something on the mold before pouring the resin on top of it so it would have an easy release. Any tips?

Name:  m2.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  42.8 KB Alright! Round two with Acabado Brillante Pour-On...meh. That is my initial feeling with working with it. It is difficult to pull the mold from. I had to take it under hot water to get the clay out and had to use qtips to get a lot of it out...what else can I use to get the rest of the clay off of the mold? Any kind of solvents that won't erode the mold?

I was able to remove most of the clay with lighter fluid! YAY!! So, my second try at a mold was most successful!

Im glad you found something that works! I would definitely test your mold with silicone to see if it works. Silicone is pickier then any woman ive ever met, including me! Lol
    Last edited by Prairie Mermaid Jamie; 12-29-2014 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Mermaid Jamie View Post
    Im glad you found something that works! I would definitely test your mold with silicone to see if it works. Silicone is pickier then any woman ive ever met, including me! Lol
    what is a good release agent for silicone molding?

You wont need one. Silicone wont stick to resin
    As far as I know silicone only sticks to itself.

I never got to test my clear resin mold since it didnt turn out so I dont know if it will cause cure issues or not.

Okay well that's good that's great news at least I know I won't have to buy any kind of anti bonding agent.

I Finally got my Monofin last week! I used it for the very first time today...and I love it! I will have to change the design for my fluke though...the monofin is a tad bit larger than I imagined, plus...I am sadly, not happy with the design anymore. I will have enough money here soon to buy silicone, so my tail will hopefully be done in about 2 or 3 months!