Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: finally starting the template for my fluke!

finally starting the template for my fluke!

As many tail makers know, especially those who use silicone...making thw fluke template can be a pain. I am just drawing up the fluke at the moment and will be buying the materials for the mold here soon, but I'd like to keep you all up to date on it hope you like it and please any and all tips welcome Name:  IMG_20141218_220208.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  201.1 KB
    Last edited by JamesGunnels; 12-18-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Senior Member Euro Pod CowgirlMermaid's Avatar
    Add CowgirlMermaid on Facebook
    Visit CowgirlMermaid's Youtube Channel
    Nice shape!

Sewing scales on my tail!
    80/404 done!!!!!!
    16 Orange!
    64 Black!

I like the shape it looks nice with a scalloped edge
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Name:  IMG_20141220_023646.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  150.3 KB so, this is just another small step forward, and I know many people won't want to just look in on some template, but I'm really proud of it so far and cannot wait to finally! start the mold for the fluke. I was thinking maybe urethane as the mold itself as I plan on making a few tails....I've got friends who really want me to make them one....but none of that will happen until this is a success any and all tips welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by OceanWhisper View Post
    I like the shape it looks nice with a scalloped edge
    Thanks a lot! I really like the idea of creating a simple fluke as this is my first silicone tail

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Nice design! I like it! looking forward to seeing it done!

Just one small practical point: The notch in the middle looks quite sharp pointed. That might induce quite a stress point to the monofin and may lead to cracking of the blade. Maybe just round it out a little?
    Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk

Well so far it's just the template. I ordered the clay for the mold and a minos monofin. I'm thinking urethane for the actual silicone mold.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Looks great! I can't wait to watch your progress! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Looks great! I can't wait to watch your progress! Good luck!

Thanks a lot Pearlie! That means a lot, but as you are like...the queen of mermaid tails...I shall be knocking on your door for some tips, if ya have time

Quote Originally Posted by CowgirlMermaid View Post
    Nice shape!
    Bedankt voor het compliment!!! Ik moet nog steeds eraan werken :-) geef toe ben een beetje hulpbehoevend, en zult je nog tips hebben ...ze zijn natuurlijk hartelijk welkom lol

Name:  IMG_20141221_011614.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  205.5 KB so, currently, I am doing a white coat to cover the blemises. Now, I love then design, but what do any of you think if I were to take the fluke look tattered?
    Last edited by JamesGunnels; 12-21-2014 at 03:08 AM.

I don't think you have enough fin TO tatter. If it were a bigger fluke, maybe, but tearing the edge of this one, with its beautiful, clean design, would just ruin it.

I don't think you have enough in TO tatter. If it were a bigger fluke, maybe, but tearing the edge of this one, with its beautiful, clean design, would just ruin it.
    That's what my boyfriend told me, so along with your thoughts, I'd have to agree. I just can't wait to finally start using the molding clay as soon as I get it.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Ooh, I like that fluke design

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

So today I bought 5.5 lbs of plastalina clay to start working on the mold for me fluke! I am so excited! Pictures to come soon!

Woohoo! Excellent!

I need to scroll up before posting dumb questions.
    Last edited by PearlieMae; 12-26-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Woohoo! Excellent!

I need to scroll up before posting dumb questions.
    Hahahahaha! I sent you an email earlier. I am gonna start the sculpting tomorrow! :happy:

Name:  IMG_20141227_165531.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  226.0 KB so currently I have the molding clay I have a few different tools and I bought a resin kit. I don't know exactly what it's going to turn out like so I'm quite curious. Has anyone ever heard of the pour on high gloss finish from Acabado Brillante?

Name:  IMG_20141227_165507.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  267.4 KB this is obviously my first major project and i have no clue exactly what I'm going to be using to create the physical mold for the fluke. I just bought a small sized kit as 1) I do not know if it will even work and 2) if it does, there will be enough the side fins Now as I can tell this is more like a varnish finish product but, if anybody knows if this can be used during a molding process for any part of the tail tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by JamesGunnels; 12-27-2014 at 06:21 PM.

I tried a similar resin. While it does work it takes a long time to cure and you will need alot of it to make the mold.

I use fiberglass resin. It works the same way but its cheaper and available at any place that sells stuff for body work on cars. As long as you dont have clay that melts I recommend that instead. A resin/cloth mix will make a stronger lighter mold then just resin.
    If you can't stand upon the water I will meet you on the ocean floor

Name:  meh.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  34.2 KB Alright! Here's my first attempt at any kind of clay sculpting and making a tail How do you guys like my idea for side fins? Please let me know tips!