Here's a short thing I did for fun awhile ago:

Mermaids are the loneliest creatures in the sea. You’d never know it because nobody can see a mermaid’s tears. A mermaid is always folded in the arms of her beloved captor. The cold fingers of the ocean hold her tight, they comfort her. She belongs within their unfeeling hold and yet they are her torment. Seawater grips a mermaid like the embrace of the lover she will never know. What’s worse; a mermaid can never speak her truths. Bound by the curse of the ocean, nobody who could come to know and love her will ever hear the words she hungers to say, to share. To be a mermaid is to be beauty nobody else can ever understand. To be a mermaid is to cry openly with no one ever seeing your pain. To be a mermaid is to be surrounded by a beautiful life and be utterly and maddeningly alone.
Do you ever feel like that? Do you feel like a mermaid?
Perhaps you do. Perhaps those salty drops of brine that crawl from your eyes are actually a mermaid’s tears.
Have you felt a mermaid’s needs? Do you know what it is to hunger for warmth, to starve for a loving touch, the ability to express your personal truths? Do you understand her? Have you felt a mermaid’s call?
If you felt the call of a kindred soul would you answer?
I did. It killed me.