Thread: Webbed scaled gloves

Webbed scaled gloves

One thing I've always wanted to go with my tail is a pair of webbed gloves. I made a prototype pair out of liquid latex that worked pretty well, though I lost them at a pod swim.

my Prototype:

Name:  HPIM4210.JPG
Views: 1421
Size:  192.7 KB

So I decided to make another pair out of good slip-casting latex, and add 3D scales this time. I had a problem with the first pair falling down while I was wearing them, so by adding scales I hope the stiffness will help keep them up.

First, I sewed a spandex glove.

Name:  hand 1.jpg
Views: 1296
Size:  53.7 KB

I also made a wrist fin out of spandex, stuffing the spines with pool noodle. (I lost the mold for the last pair I'd made.)

Then, I started brushing on the latex (while wearing the glove). After the first layer dried, I put on another and pressed on the molded scales while the latex was still wet so it would bond.

This is what I have right now: I ran out of latex making the second glove and will have to go pick up another tub so I can start the painting process.

Name:  hand wip.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  692.2 KB

I chose to leave the latex flesh colored and paint it later because painting something one-handed while wearing the glove on your other hand is really, really hard. I couldn't paint the spandex itself because, as I discovered, using acrylic paint prevents the latex from soaking through the spandex and bonding properly, which will make it peel off.

I shall upload some more progress pics, and hopefully the finished product in a few days.

Looks great!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Awesome!!!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Wow! Looks wicked!
    User formerly known as "Allie free".

wow now i just love that idea check out my designs for the mermaid suit I want a full suit like that.

That looks so cool!! I hope it turns out well

Here they are all painted up.

Name:  HPIM4759.JPG
Views: 899
Size:  735.6 KB

They're pretty much done at this point. One last thing I want to do is get some claw-like pointed fake nails to put on, hopefully get those in a day or two. And then I'll see how they swim at Merfest.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Ooh, they match your mer stuff so well!

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    You'll be at merfest too?! Yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are epic!! I've been dying to know how you made the ones I've seen you wearing in pics, so this was a HUGE treat to find! I just happened to be popping about the interwebs searching something completely different, and BAM, here this was! Thanks, Universe!! ^_^ And thank YOU for sharing your process w/us! ♥♥♥