Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Theobromine's sea serpent silicone tail!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Eek! It's looking amazing! And that school of rays... I MUST HAVE ONE OR FIVE

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Looks awesome!

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

I'm thinking about posting a couple of my stingrays for sale in the classifieds section. I don't want to start an Etsy shop yet, because I still feel like I haven't perfected them enough yet, and also I don't know if I could make a lot of them fast enough if a lot of people actually did want to buy them, but if I sell a couple here first and people like them, I'll definitely probably make a shop and start selling more of them. Eventually I want to make a whole lot of different sea creatures and make them as realistic as possible, but I need to refine my painting skills a LOT first. But I'm really excited about this idea. Not only are they cure and fun, but they'd be great for the mermaids who work with children and educate them about sea life! (I'm a huge fan of science education, just not a huge fan of working with children, personally).

Thanks again, so much, for all the encouragement everyone! I may be making rather slow progress on my actual tail, but this and my other silicone projects are my one exciting thing right now. My job sucks; it's really stressful and demoralizing and my boss is passive-aggressive and rude to everyone and everyone wants to quit and just grrrrr. So doing these projects is my outlet, and my reminder that I don't actually suck at everything.

I shaded the bulbs and edges of the kelp blades with gold so the color doesn't look so flat. What do you think? I can't decide if I should add a little more leaf-green shading down the centers of the blades or not.

Name:  painted kelp.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  226.0 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ooo! Neato!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Commenting so I can keep tabs on this awesomeness. But I agree a little pale green would go well down the centre. Those rays are soo cute ^_^.

You can open an etsy for them but only like list a one/ a couple at a time when you are ready to take orders for them.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

I love the kelp! A little green down the middle would be good, if you want my opinion.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Thanks for the input! <3 I will add the green, and try to finish this top today! It's my day off but I have a doctor's appointment in just a bit here. Currently trying to sew the last bits of netting straps on the bra base (I hate sewing), then will finish the silicone parts when I get back from my appointment. Fingers crossed it works out!

Aaaaannnnnnnd my top is done! It's not 100% perfect but it looks pretty freaking great if I do say so myself! I'm really proud of this and I've gained a lot of confidence in my abilities! Please don't share these pictures anywhere, I haven't had a chance to make a watermark yet (still waiting on a logo from Octavia, probably going to trade her for a top since this worked). I'm just excited and wanted to show you guys!

Name:  kelp top 1.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  346.9 KB

Name:  kelp top 2.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  164.1 KB

Name:  kelp top 3.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  kelp top 5.jpg
Views: 1107
Size:  135.7 KB

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    great stuff!
    Looks very realistic.

Looks great! Amazing work!

Thank you both! I'm really proud of it! I've always loved the look of Macrocystis pyrifera and I love how it looks as a mermaid top! There are a few things I'd improve on for the next one....casting the kelp blades thinner, for example, because this came out pretty heavy. It feels like it weighs about as much as a shell top with real lion's paw shells, so making it thinner and/or doing the straps a different way so it's not a halter top. I only did the halter top because I seem to have misplaced most of my spare netting somehow > I also realized that the kelp blades didn't cover the bra cups perfectly, so I had to paint the cups with green silicone. You can see that a bit but I think it came out ok and it's not too jarring. It just looks like some other seaweed behind the kelp.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania Nixe the Tropical Mermaid's Avatar
    Add Nixe the Tropical Mermaid on Facebook
    Shotgun having a tail made my you!! =D
    All sounds great, Cant wait to hear all about how it goes !!!

Oh wow I seriously love the top! You are amazing at sculpting! I love how on each leaf there is texture.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Thanks so much for all the lovely compliments everyone! I loved working on this, it makes me so happy it came out well!

Nixe, I <3 you! If I end up selling any tails after I make my own tail, you're first on my list of clients for sure! I miss you!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    OMG That top....<3<3<3<3 I want a top like that now, it's soo amazing
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Yay more seaweed tops! \o/
    It looks great, would look natural in the ocean.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    How about a sting ray top?
    But seriously, I adore the little stingrays!
    And that top is awesome!

I really love this top! I'm glad everyone approves! I really can't wait to go swimming (boooo winter and pools being closed for repairs). I really want to do a photoshoot in it. I'm pretty sure that with a few tweaks I could actually sell tops, but for right now I still want to get going on my tail and I want to make sure I have enough silicone for it and for all the crazy side fins I plan on doing But watch this space!

I'm not sure about doing a stingray top, since I know both Merbellas and Mermaid Hyli have made them. They're awesome, but I'm trying to make new and different things (yes seaweed tops have been made before, but not kelp ones!) I'm pretty happy with making my little stingrays and hopefully soon some other creatures. Just a little different than what other mers have been making (I like to swim against the tide)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I LOVE it!!! I do want to buy some loose kelp strands when you get to the selling point.

I took this in San Diego a couple years ago...I love the color!

Name:  Screen shot 2015-01-07 at 1.59.49 PM.png
Views: 1314
Size:  514.2 KB