Thread: Mermaid Opportunities in Colorado?

Question Mermaid Opportunities in Colorado?

I'm mostly scared about ordering a silicone tail. Now that I have the money saved up, it's really dawning on me how much of an investment it is and being newly married and having a life that is soon going to require more fiscal responsibility makes me not want to take the plunge with a silicone tail. On the other hand, this is the prime time in my life to play things fast and loose and spend time mermaiding and having the kind of job I've dreamed about. I'm nervous and I suppose that's how it should be when doing something so massive.

I've managed to get a few small gigs for myself, but nothing that really seems worthy of investing in a silicone tail. However I've been dreaming about a Silicone tail for years and finally have the money for it, I know who I want to buy from, I know what I want my colors to be, I've just got cold flippers because I don't know how worthwhile it would be to have such a big investment if I can't get the jobs to show it off. I guess that's one of the hard parts of being in a land-locked state. Any job is seasonal at best, and few swimming pools are going to want to keep a mermaid around during the winter months.

Have any other Colorado or Rocky Mountain Mers faced the same trepidation? Or does anyone have some advice to offer regarding gig hunting? My husband supports my mermaiding and will continue to do so, but he doesn't seem to care about talking about it. I'd love to be able to bounce ideas back and forth.

I think living here where we are limited by seasonal weather you either have to dive in head first or not. It is a very large investment so you have do decide if you really want to dedicate yourself to a tail and invest in it or place that money else where.
    "It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the towns folk cry 'Monster' and looked behind him."

I agree, and for the last year I was gung-ho about getting a silicone tail. I obsessed over them. It seems that the Renaissance festival would be a reasonable place to start asking about mermaid gig opportunities, but I've also heard from friends who were performers that the cast isn't always treated well. I've been thinking about recreation centers with pools or several of the smaller water parks. I've run into the issue of "Well I don't think my fabric tail is quality enough for a big gig. It's not 'real' I need a silicone one to really make a presence with" and I don't know if that mind set has helped or hindered me.

I guess you could say you'll never know how well you'll do until you try, right? If getting gigs doesn't work out, you could still swim in it as a hobby. Or maybe you could sell it to someone who has close measurements as you and "get your money back." I'm sure this might be weak advice; just giving you optimistic thoughts if you buy one and it doesn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidShelly View Post
    I guess you could say you'll never know how well you'll do until you try, right? If getting gigs doesn't work out, you could still swim in it as a hobby. Or maybe you could sell it to someone who has close measurements as you and "get your money back." I'm sure this might be weak advice; just giving you optimistic thoughts if you buy one and it doesn't work out.

Optimistic thoughts are always good to have!!

The ren faire is very rough to be sure (I'm scrap the junk fairy) and they haven't been overly keen on adding more fantasy. I think an investment of such level requires you to decide how much time your willing to commit for this if you are wanting to turn it into work. The questions you have to ask yourself are: Are you going to be willing to travel to work as a mermaid somewhere else, like a festival ( most renaissance fests require you to contract for the full fest, texas is 2 months) A game plan for advertising yourself for gigs etc? Are you going to make back what you put into being performance mermaid?

But if those things don't effect your thoughts the biggest reason to spend this money is if you are SURE you want to be a mermaid. Even if it's just because. You don't have to be a mermaid performer to have a tail.
    "It is a condition of monsters that they do not perceive themselves as such. The dragon, you know, hunkered in the village devouring maidens, heard the towns folk cry 'Monster' and looked behind him."

I also am struggling with this issue! Being in landlocked Alberta makes it hard for me to imagine that I'll be able to drum up enough work to make back the money it'll take to go silicone. It's such a beautiful piece of art tho.....
    My dream is to swim in aquariums and I can't see myself doing that in anything else but a beautiful silicone tail.
    My advice Frecklefish is to think about what your dream is and realistically think what kind of tail you'll be able to see yourself in fulfilling your dream.
    Life isn't about money, it's about living your dream <3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mermaid at
    <3
    (heart)

Member Rocky Mountain Pod Onyx Jewel Catfish's Avatar
    Go for it! You saved for it which took time and patience. Which shows it is something of value to you, no just a whim of frivolous expenditure. Even if it takes time to make it back by lil gigs here and there. Look at this way, you buy a car and it loses value immediately. But you either needed it or wanted it . Either way you never get that money back not do most people get to use them for fun! Just do it live your dream!
    Enjoy Today, Tomorrow Is Not A Promise.

I agree with the majority of people. It takes time to save which means you really want it. Live your dream you deserve it .