Thread: Merfolk Terminology

Merfolk Terminology

So as a mermaid/merman, do you or any of your pod have special words or tems for things? I'd like to know them!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    well lemme say I learned the hard way that "mer kin" is already a term NOT used for the kin of mer. LOL don't use it. like, ever.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Hahaha, wow. That's some handy advice aniar.

yup... ahhh yup it is. LOL

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Actually I have tons of questions about terminology.
    Which term do you like best when refering to mermaids amd mermen: merpeople, merfolk, or just mers?
    What is the best term for people who swim in costumes? Do you call them mermaids, or mermaid costumers, or mermaid enthusists, or what?
    If the verb for swimming in a costume tail is mermaiding, does that carry over for guys? Would it be mermaning, or is it mermaiding for both?
    Last edited by malinghi; 11-21-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: corrected typo

I always liked 'mersha' for the collective noun, but I can't remember where I saw it.

I use Merfolk and Mers as well as Mermaid and Mermen. I also capitalize them since (in my stories at least) the words refer to a real type of person.

As for the verb, mermaiding, I'm not sure. I think I've used it only once so far, and on that occasion, referred only to females.

How about merplaying? That would work for men and women.

Alveric

Well I personally have used 'mer' to describe any old member of the mer-community whether they are just an enthusiast or they regularly swim in costume.

And now that I think about it, I only use the full blown term 'mermaid' (or merman) when I'm talking about the professionals or people who do it as part of a living which include Raina all the way up to Hannah. haha

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

I use either Mers or Merfolk.
    Mermaid Jewel

~Merfolks

~Mer-sister/brothers

~Little Mers (referring to kids) or Mer-Child

~Mermaiding (i assume this would be a good term because mer-ing or merswimming Just doesnt sound right),

~well this is a Merperson forum whether dry or wet tails your all Mermaids/Mermen to me. i dont see a difference unless you categorize it into something like a "Mermaid performer" or "Aquatic entertainer"..lol

Let's not forget about the Mertenders (ones that tend to merfolk; providing assistance getting tails on, photography, general mer logistics support and cocktail refills, of course!)... and the Merverts (online creeps & stalkers)
    Last edited by Mermaid Shelly; 11-21-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Mermaid Shelly
    www.mermaidshelly.com

my boyfriend calls it "mermadeering"

Chesapeake Pod
    AniaR~ LOL
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

mermadeering.... That is so funny and appropriate and awesome ^_^

Hmm I never really thought about mermaiding and mermaning... Although to mean the term mermaiding sort of seems unisex it just doesn't seems fair to give a gentleman who wears a tail a feminine verb. I feel like it would only reinforce the stereotype that men who frolic in tails are gay. But mermaning just doesn't have the same poetic eloquence as mermaiding... I must ponder upon this conundrum for a time.

mer/merring. Gender ambiguous!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Pod of Texas CynthiaMermaid's Avatar
    I use the term merfolk for the collective noun, and mers for short when chatting in IM. Sometimes, merperson(s) when talking about specific merfolk. I refer to myself as a mermaid, as well as others with a mer soul that feel the call of the sea to the extent that they will buy/create a mer tail. And of course, merman for the guys.

Cynthia

Senior Member North Pacific Pod LindseyLu's Avatar
    Anyone ever heard the term Merrow??? I grew up on Brian Fraud and always loved this alternate irish lore on Merrows. The females are suppose to be beautiful and warn sailors about approaching storms, the men, well...not so pretty, LOL!!! Here's male Merrow...

Name:  IMG_20111122_124512_wonder.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  15.4 KB

And ya wonder why mermaids were looking for human mates instead! Happy we have handsome merman on mernetwork, not Merrows here!!! <3

Chesapeake Pod
    Oh, Lindesy! LOL!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Hamant's Avatar
    I think mermaning is a good term for mermen. Using mermaiding for guys as well as girls can kind of sterotype it in my opinion.

Merfolk is common in Magic: The Gathering, and so I like it as a collective noun (though adding an "s" to the end bugs me... but then again, my B.A. is in English, so that's not so surprising). I like "Mermaid" and "Merman" but I'm curious... does anyone actually use "Mermatron" for married mermaids or mothers, kind like "Matron of Honor" instead of "Maid of Honor"? I also like Merrow and Undines, Tritons and Nereids. I like the idea that any of us can be a mermaid or merman, but I can see the need for a term for someone who actually has a tail and performs as opposed to those of us who are just enthusiasts or don't currently have a costume. I'm friends with some drag queens who refer to themselves as "female illusionists"... maybe "mermaid illusionist" or "merman illusionist" or "mer illusionist" might work as a term for someone who can actually perform as a mermaid or merman, whether or not they do it professionally? As for mer handlers and mermadeering, both sound fun, but I wonder if they might not prefer a cooler term, like Shark or Stingray, as in "He's my helpful/guardian shark"?
    A verb form is tough... I like mermaiding for ladies, but I'm not sure mermaning has the same ring to it. As a note, on Save the Words... http://savethewords.org/site.swf
    ... one of the words they have is "Sireniform", an adjective meaning "having the lower legs abnormally joined into a single limb"... maybe a term like "sireniformers" or "sireniforming" might work for what we do? It does usually denote a medical or biological condition, however, so might be considered slightly confusing in that manner.