Thread: How to deal with persistent non-believers?

Angry How to deal with persistent non-believers?

I recently dealt with a kid who blatantly didn't believe, and was sure to let me know in subtle ways. She came super close to ruining it for the other, younger kids.

She was eight or so, and very smart...although very snarky and very close to getting a fluke to the face (jk). She was super passive-aggressive in her questions/"observations". She made comments at every opportunity that were juuust shy of saying "your tail isn't real because ____", without actually saying it, and her tone was super obnoxious. I know obviously everybody's not going to believe, but it REALLY pissed me off. Especially since I was entertaining other, much younger kids at the time!

I once had another 8 y/o girl enthusiastically ask me where I got my tail ( in context of "got" as in "buy" ) ). I don't remember what I told her exactly, but it was an answer like "I was born with it, I'm a mermaid", and seemed to satisfy her. Even if it didn't convince her (I'm pretty sure she knew it was a costume), she played along wholeheartedly, especially in front of the other kids.

I guess they start to not believe around 7 or so, but it's a shame, as 5-8 is my favourite range for kids personality-wise.

What are some of your tricks to deal with kids who blatantly don't believe, especially if they're going to ruin it for the other kids?

What are some of your answers for common questions/comments like "I can see your legs!"?

And through music my soul began to soar...~

As for tricks to deal with them, you can just politely say to them something along the lines of "That's okay if you don't believe, but everyone here is having fun and using their imaginations and we wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone else" Sometimes it works just to ignore them, and focus on the other children. I've had children be so persistent to the point where they would be trying to pull off my tail, stomp on it and be destructive, in which case I would ask a mertender or parent to step in. I find a lot of times it's not so much that children don't believe but they are often scared by the whole possibility of mermaids being real. When children say "I can see your legs" I often tell them that we have bones that are like legs, but they are fused together and covered in a big layer of blubber, and that our bones help us to be fast swimmers.
    Mermaid Nessie
    Canadian Mermaids Inc.
    nessiemermaid@gmail.com
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nessiemermaid?ref=hl

"I bought it/ got it made to fit me. you jelly?"

I used to be one of those annoying kids believe it or not.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Thanks for the advice, Nessie! I, too, use the legs are bones excuse. I really like your rainbow tail

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Nessie View Post
    you can just politely say to them something along the lines of "That's okay if you don't believe, but everyone here is having fun and using their imaginations and we wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone else"
    But the issue is that she didn't outright say she didn't believe, and I often can't get children alone to say something like that, that might potentially ruin it for the other kids. D:

I've had children be so persistent to the point where they would be trying to pull off my tail, stomp on it and be destructive, in which case I would ask a mertender or parent to step in.

That's so terrible! I'm so sorry you had to go through such a thing.

I find a lot of times it's not so much that children don't believe but they are often scared by the whole possibility of mermaids being real.

Huh, I've never thought of that. That's good food for thought!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    I used to be one of those annoying kids believe it or not.
    I'm surprised!

When kids are disappointed that "your tail feels like rubber" I tell them that dolphins feel rubbery too.

(I said that to a little girl once and her dad asked her if I felt like the dolphins she had gotten to ride and she exclaimed, "Yes!")

I also say that the wrinkles or folds in my tail are just like the wrinkles their knees and elbows and such make.

I had one adult ask me, "what is wrong with your face?"
    I was a little taken aback, when I realized he was drunk and talking about my scale makeup (this was while performing)

So I said, "my scales?"

He goes, "yeah. Why don't they open?"

"Why would they?"

"Isn't that how you breath?"

"... ... they are scales. Not gills."

"Well. YEAH. But haven't you seen fish swimming around in the ocean going *uses hands to make gill like motions near throat* KEKEKEKEKE"

So I stared a moment and asked, "That is the noise a fish makes? I thought that is what the fox said."

The line burst out laughing and he just stalked off.

It was great.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    There was this awesome comment that was coined by Pearlie's daughter.

It went along the lines of
    "yea, you found me out, now have fun sitting with the adults, you smartass" xD

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I'm not real? That's weird. I was this morning! Or I lost my real tail to live on land and I wear this one so I can fit in with other mermaids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    There was this awesome comment that was coined by Pearlie's daughter.

It went along the lines of
    "yea, you found me out, now have fun sitting with the adults, you smartass" xD

Totally WIN. I am using it from now on.
    I am curious as if it was the same daughter whose line Pearlie has in her signature: "Please don't fucking drown".

Ayy, the comebacks. I'll remember those the next time someone starts acting like a jerk.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."

This actually happened to me at my very first party. The birthday girl was 5 and her older sister was maybe 8 or 9 so we had a mix of 4-11 year olds. For the older ones they ask "are you real?" I always say of course! I am and change the topic. If they bring it up again usally just say don't you have a tail? It usually throws them off! Also, there was one girl who was older and her and I had a little secret that I wasn't real but that the younger kids thought I was so she just with it. I think she felt special cause it was our own little secret.
    Be kind, Always.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidSadie View Post
    This actually happened to me at my very first party. The birthday girl was 5 and her older sister was maybe 8 or 9 so we had a mix of 4-11 year olds. For the older ones they ask "are you real?" I always say of course! I am and change the topic. If they bring it up again usally just say don't you have a tail? It usually throws them off! Also, there was one girl who was older and her and I had a little secret that I wasn't real but that the younger kids thought I was so she just with it. I think she felt special cause it was our own little secret.
    That's usually the one I use. If a kid figures me out but there are little ones around I'll usually tell them they're very clever but the younger girls think I'm real so why don't we keep it a secret just for them, okay?

I'd think it'd be a bit harder when they don't full out call you out on it but you can tell they're very suspicious.

All children are not going to be gullible and just simply are curious as adults. Perhaps they want to try it on after or see how it works. I pan to there curiosity and tell them how I got interested in mermaiding. They love hearing this information and quite a few wanted to become mermaids themselves. Some will play along with the fantasy like 8-12 year old boys will joke around and even help with the experience with a mermaid. I explain how I am a mermaid with the tail on and without it I have become human. I allow them to touch and they just become either amazing by how real it feels and it just seem to open up a new world for them! The imagination switch turns on, but I have studied sociology for my first two years of University to understand human behavior. Just be careful not to crush there dreams and if so, give them new ones. ^_^ What can you do for each child? Take care.
    I never knew my place in the world,but
    I found it here as a Merkin to everyone here.
    FTM Trans Gender-fluid Male
    I am Mer Reiko...
    #mermreiko

I always answer with open-ended questions and responses.
    "Are you real?"
    " I think I am, yes. Have you ever seen a mermaid?"
    When there is a kid that won't believe and just keeps insisting, parents have been nice and dealt with them, I also do things like getting them involved.
    If you keep that convo loose and open, the kids don't ask or insist so much. I redirect their attention to my adventures underwater and always add questions about their own experiences so they can relate. keeps their minds off if im real or not.
    just dont get flustered if they keep picking on you. you are there to swim around and make a magical experience. Even if you are fake they should still enjoy everything you do.
    when they say "i can see your knees" or whatever, i always imply that my tail is a second skin. just keep the real or fake talk to a min they drop it after a few minutes. Most times. lol

hahaha! im enjoying these comebacks on here.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Reiko View Post
    I explain how I am a mermaid with the tail on and without it I have become human. I allow them to touch and they just become either amazing by how real it feels and it just seem to open up a new world for them! The imagination switch turns on, but I have studied sociology for my first two years of University to understand human behavior. Just be careful not to crush there dreams and if so, give them new ones. ^_^ What can you do for each child? Take care.
    Reiko, This rings so true. Thank you for these words of wisdom.