Thread: Basic silicone tail review?

Lightbulb Basic silicone tail review?

EDIT: Nevermind. I have seen that not many of these tails have done well and Mertailor seems difficult to work with. I will not be working with him.

If you have any other tailmakers willing to make a quality, basic silicone tail in the same price range, I would appreciate knowing about them.

Hi! I'm interested in ordering Mertailor's Basic Silicone Tail after I hit my weight goal (I'm waiting because I'll go up a few sizes for sure).

I've heard LOTS of things about Mertalior, from Raina's issues, to "I hate him/them, worst tail ever!", to "This was an amazing purchase! I'm so thrilled!".

Of course, ideally I'd like to get a $3k+ tail by Merbella Studios, but I have to save up a bit more for that, and I need a step up from a fabric tail pretty soon. My idea is to stack the funds from gigs done with this one, and use them to eventually upgrade. Any other ideas are welcome, but mainly I'm looking to make sure I won't be wasting the money I do have. The $550 (plus whatever the shipping might be) is pretty much my funds cap currently, so if you know another tailmaker who makes basic silicone for a close price, please share!

Thank you!
    Last edited by Mermaid Gipsy; 01-14-2015 at 10:03 AM.

And through music my soul began to soar...~

The thing with those tails is that they are not lined with neoprene, but with neoprin. (Or spacer as Mertailor want to call it).
    Neoprene is elastic and holds it's shape even if it's stretched out, but neoprin doesn't. It just keeps on stretching and getting bigger. After a while it will be unusable.

Here's also how it looks on the inside.
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...rtailor+inside

Mertailor actually does erase bad comments and reviews from his Facebook page and website from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Yulia View Post
    The thing with those tails is that they are not lined with neoprene, but with neoprin. (Or spacer as Mertailor want to call it).
    Neoprene is elastic and holds it's shape even if it's stretched out, but neoprin doesn't. It just keeps on stretching and getting bigger. After a while it will be unusable.

Here's also how it looks on the inside.
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...rtailor+inside

Mertailor actually does erase bad comments and reviews from his Facebook page and website from time to time.

Ahhh...NO thank you! But thank you for letting me know. I appreciate it. I'm definately not going to purchase one now; my suspicions are confirmed. Can you tell me how to do a strike out text HTML for the original post? Thanks!

I have one. It sucks. He hacked the monofin apart and put six 2 3/4 holes in it leaving it useless and dangerous in the water. Ive used it 6 times and taken it in three times because he used neoprin.

save your money, trust me. I have a thread in the mertailor forum about the monofin. I cant link it from my ipad for some reason.
    If you can't stand upon the water I will meet you on the ocean floor

Haha nevermind yulia found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Mermaid Jamie View Post
    I have one. It sucks. He hacked the monofin apart and put six 2 3/4 holes in it leaving it useless and dangerous in the water. Ive used it 6 times and taken it in three times because he used neoprin.

save your money, trust me. I have a thread in the mertailor forum about the monofin. I cant link it from my ipad for some reason.
    Yep, I saw Yulia's post regarding your thread. I will definitely be looking elsewhere for my first silicone tail! Thanks for the head's up. Alluring low prices are always a red flag in my opinion.

I agree the price is what lures alot of people in. Mine has messy sloppy scales and the silicone started peeling almost immediately. I wish i had just saved for a finfolk or merbellas.

the material he uses is two layers of fabric with little fibers in between, but it isnt solid and actually fills with water. I have to hang my tail upside down and let it drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Prairie Mermaid Jamie View Post
    I agree the price is what lures alot of people in. Mine has messy sloppy scales and the silicone started peeling almost immediately. I wish i had just saved for a finfolk or merbellas.

the material he uses is two layers of fabric with little fibers in between, but it isnt solid and actually fills with water. I have to hang my tail upside down and let it drain.
    That's horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that.
    I'm definitely going to save up now, for a more reputable maker.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Mernation has a basic silicone tail for $1800 (I think that's the price). It's only one color but they are great to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    Mernation has a basic silicone tail for $1800 (I think that's the price). It's only one color but they are great to work with.
    Thank you! I've seen!
    But I think anything over $750, I might as well save it towards my big goal. But who knows! Thanks for the suggestion.

Exclamation

This posts is very informative. Thank you!
    Last edited by Ticgdewlopse; 03-05-2015 at 06:28 AM.

Banned
    Follow MermaidShannon On Twitter
    I like my mertailor stuff. I have never had a hard time working with Eric even when I wasn't ready to buy