Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mertailor " Flipper" would you buy it?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North
    Add Sephina on Facebook
    Follow Sephina on Tumblr
    Wasn't there another company doing this same thing? I can't remember the name but they actually use finis monofins inside of them though.

I like how they look and the paint jobs are lovely, but I'm like Raina - I need a stiffer monofin for the speed I'm hoping to achieve. If the fins are made entirely of silicone, I can see them being that expensive. They're probably really good for tight spaces, flips and that sort of thing.
    Octavia: got married! Saving for a new tail! >u<b

But I LIKE floppy tails they look so pretty and fluid and reminds me of koi fish tails (not the shape of it but the way the ins flow in the water)
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of The South Blondie's Avatar
    I actually really like it. The shape is something I'd go for. I don't like the shape of Oceanikia's personally, it's too cheesy for me. But I love the rubber monofin idea. However I could never afford something like that x_x

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGlass Siren View Post
    But I LIKE floppy tails they look so pretty and fluid and reminds me of koi fish tails (not the shape of it but the way the ins flow in the water)
    You're allowed! I personally don't like the way the ins flow in the water but there are many others here who love flowy flukes and I can appreciate them too when one is done really well.

I actually don't even think its flowy
    I think its kind of stiff. I just dont like the shape of it

I personally would not spend almost $400 for just a fin. Too much for me, even though it looks pretty. I like my Merfin and it light and easy for me to use, however if gives me horrible blisters and I think I will need to sell it

I actually like the shape of it... I know some people think it's too plain, but I kind of like that about it. However, I really hate how it "hangs" in the water when transitioning from a down-stroke to an up-stroke. Like, the curve at the tips of the fin caused by the fin moving down stays until about half-way through the up-stroke, then just suddenly flips down and almost into itself.... It's floppy for sure, but floppy is prettiest when it's flowy, not abrupt.

On another note though, about the price, like some people were saying, if I had that much money to spend on just a fin, I'd want to spend it on something that can give serious propulsion. Honestly, anything over $150 USD and I expect it to be safe to freedive and ocean swim in. I don't think I'd be able to do that in such a floppy fin.
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

Yeah sephina I'm pretty sure there was one on mermaid tails.net
    Mermaids have more fun

I agree that while it's floppy, it moves.. awkwardly? The way it snaps up then stays there til it abruptly shifts down is not something I'd call flowing. Plus you can bet Eric is in great physical shape, so for the kick I know he's putting into it it doesn't seem like he's getting very far. I think it's a great idea- I mean how long have we all wanted a realistic fin that's nicely painted that we don't have to put in a tail?- but maybe he'll think of making other shapes for a redesign that flow better. I think more people would be more into a fin shape with that quality. Either way, I'm way off put by the price. I know the Mahina MerFin fin was $162.68 total (with shipping to the US), and all I could think about looking at that price was that I could buy a Leaderfins fiberglass monofin for $159.24 total instead. Honestly I wouldn't even spend $320 buying a competitor- I'd get one from Specialfins or Leaderfins for cheaper (less than $200). So $400 for one? Not a chance. Just my 2¢

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I looked at the video the first day he posted it. I also didn't like how it moved in the water... compared to others I have seen videos of, it just didn't work for me... and his price? no way... i wouldn't touch it.... As others have stated I can get really good monofins for nowhere near that cost. for now, I will stick with my Rapid, but when i can afford it, i will have a competitor.
    Owner of Under Sea Mermaid Co.

Life is short.... live like there is no tomorrow, and smile all the day....

Swim fast, swim deep, but always reach for your dreams.

Yes, awkward is a good way to describe it... I couldn't think of the word, lol!
    آناهیتا پری دریایی
    Anahita, The Persian Mermaid
    Facebook - Shop - Tumblr - Storytime with Shahrzad - Blog

I think it's good for people who just want the mer experience and aren't planning on being professionals. I mean sure it has qwerks about it's looks but so do all lesser costing tails. I just agree it shouldn't cost more than a competitor monofin...

Senior Member Euro Pod Sammi Ray's Avatar
    I agree. I've just bought a monofin from leaderfins and looks like the competitor and it was £109.00 with shipping... :/ how much would that be to ship too? A lot of people don't have that kinda money to splash out. especially just for the monofin itself. Don't get me wrong, it looks nice...until it's in motion (in my opinion)
    glub glub, glub....glub. ^_^

user formerly known as _PeBBles_

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Miyu's Avatar
    Hmm, I do like the idea... But I would wait until he came up with a better-flowing design to consider buying it. I really do like the tail skins, though, It's kind of along the same lines of a few tail projects I've been contemplating myself.

~Miyu the Rainforest Mermaid~

TwitterFacebookInstagram
    Fundraiser (Soon to be updated)

Union of Pods of the North
    Add Sephina on Facebook
    Follow Sephina on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Allie View Post
    Yeah sephina I'm pretty sure there was one on mermaid tails.net
    I had his facebook page liked and now I can't find it anymore. I was starting to think I'd imagined it. glad to hear someone else remembers them!

I like the idea (speaking as someone who almost bought an Oceanika and then shelled out just as much for a custom shape one)...but I think the shape is the biggest turn off for me. I imagine it'd be a good building block for other fins though. C:

Well now I want to go swimming. :I

Member North Pacific Pod Oceana's Avatar
    Add Oceana on Facebook
    Follow Oceana on Tumblr
    I'm torn. I think that it's a great idea in theory for mers who want to move up to a silicone tail after using latex or spandex tails as sometimes the heavier fluke is the hardest thing to get used to. It does move slightly awkwardly, but it's the first edition and I'm expecting that Eric will eventually iron those things out.

I will say that the price is a little ridiculous though.
    Oceana, Mermaid of the Canadian Pacific

Click here to follow my adventures on Facebook!