Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merman seeking advice

Merman seeking advice

Before starting this please be assured I am NOT asking for a handout I wanna earn my tail

the thing is I live on a fixed income due to a required weekly infusion I receive small SSI monthly with a rent bill. The drug is 70k a dose so the insurance with SSI and my parents insurance can’t be messed with as I’m not allowed to go more than three weeks without it.
    what are some ways I can save up enough to buy myself a silicone tail? I know it won’t be cheap as these things are works of art. And I do wanna earn it I’ve grown up beating the odds by myself so I like to be self suffice to person, but I do know there’s no harm in asking ppl for advice or inisight to help get pushed on right direction
    again this isn’t a pity me post just a sincere reaching out for advice from the pros and other ppl going through similar situations

I know I’d be happy with a basic bright yellow tail, if possible accented with some electric blue scales any ideas about how much something like that would run?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Are you allowed to work? Maybe you can find a part time or casual job for a few hours a day.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Have you perhaps considered a latex tail? I've heard a little about them here and there, and they're not very common, but they are significantly cheaper than silicone.

There's also the option of making it yourself, which is like a tenth of the cost of buying one. But of course the tradeoff is you're not getting the masterful hand of somone who's been in the business for years, and you have to do everything yourself I've been doing my own and it's actually pretty fun!

Also, I think most tailmakers will set up a payment plan so you pay in weekly to monthly installments instead of the full price upfront. Don't take my word for that though, that's just a tidbit I picked up somewhere

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Saving money is all about spending less. I have a fully solar powered house and two Teslas. I did not get them by having a gigantic wage.

Look at every purchase and ask, is it needed? Can I get it for less somewhere else? Or by waiting for a sale? Or by buying in bulk? Or by fixing something I already have? Or by making it myself?

Drive slower on the freeway, save gas money.

Look for on-line jobs, or as suggested above, part time jobs.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Are you allowed to work? Maybe you can find a part time or casual job for a few hours a day.
    I’m not officially allowed to work, if I did and got caught they could cancel my SSI insurance based on the grounds that well if he can work he don’t need it. When like most things in life not so straight forward
    will try to look into side jobs perhaps that pays cash

Quote Originally Posted by .MermaidSophia. View Post
    Have you perhaps considered a latex tail? I've heard a little about them here and there, and they're not very common, but they are significantly cheaper than silicone.

There's also the option of making it yourself, which is like a tenth of the cost of buying one. But of course the tradeoff is you're not getting the masterful hand of somone who's been in the business for years, and you have to do everything yourself I've been doing my own and it's actually pretty fun!

Also, I think most tailmakers will set up a payment plan so you pay in weekly to monthly installments instead of the full price upfront. Don't take my word for that though, that's just a tidbit I picked up somewhere
    i think I’m sold on silicone for the look and longer durability, though mine shouldn’t too active just lounging in mostly. I like the more solid look.
    Lol I am not very good when it comes to do it yourself projects, creatively I’m good at writing, or taking photos, but that’s about it lol so I could see trying to make a tail turn bad quick haha I respect all people that can and do though!
    hmm payment plan if offered could be very helpful I will definitely look into that! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Saving money is all about spending less. I have a fully solar powered house and two Teslas. I did not get them by having a gigantic wage.

Look at every purchase and ask, is it needed? Can I get it for less somewhere else? Or by waiting for a sale? Or by buying in bulk? Or by fixing something I already have? Or by making it myself?

Drive slower on the freeway, save gas money.

Look for on-line jobs, or as suggested above, part time jobs.
    all great advice and for most part I’m pretty tight with my money, a least that’s what ppl tell me but I do know some areas I could skim the fat!
    due to medical and insurance issues jobs are hard but I am gonna try to find side jobs
    thanks man!

Hope things work out for you, Neverland! I'm transitioning from self-employment back into full-time work, and freelance writing works well if you can secure a retainer client. Try posting on Upwork or finding a niche you can serve and pitching clients directly.

Were my wife in better health (long, sad story) I'd have been able to control my time and afford a silicone tail long ago.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    If money is that much of an issue, why not go for a fabric tail first?
    There are many that look just as nice as silicone, I actually prefer fabric over silicone.

You can even get your exact dream tail if you send in your design to a manufacturer that offers custom tails, like magictail.
    If you haven't swum in a tail before, I'd highly recommend that anyway.
    I've seen many people with zero tail or even monofin experience get broke over their "dream tail", and then they couldn't swim in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    If money is that much of an issue, why not go for a fabric tail first?
    There are many that look just as nice as silicone, I actually prefer fabric over silicone.

You can even get your exact dream tail if you send in your design to a manufacturer that offers custom tails, like magictail.
    If you haven't swum in a tail before, I'd highly recommend that anyway.
    I've seen many people with zero tail or even monofin experience get broke over their "dream tail", and then they couldn't swim in it.
    I just don’t like the look of most fabric tails I’ve seen silicone is more detailed in my opinion and what my heart is set on, plus I’d rather go ahead and save up for what I want than a step in between ya know?
    Also due to medical issues I may not ever actually five in my tail (I know that kinda makes my dream pointless in some people’s eyes) but I’d love to lounge in shallow pools, on swim floats, on the beach with waves washing up on me or even chilling at my home ha.
    I have trouble swimming as it is (I’ve mentilned in a couple other threads) I may one day swim but my main goal is to get the tail
    exact dream tail ? Design? Intrigued in this

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Hope things work out for you, Neverland! I'm transitioning from self-employment back into full-time work, and freelance writing works well if you can secure a retainer client. Try posting on Upwork or finding a niche you can serve and pitching clients directly.

Were my wife in better health (long, sad story) I'd have been able to control my time and afford a silicone tail long ago.
    ransom I hope the transition goes smoothly for you, I’ve looked into writing jobs but I live in small town not many places hiring or needing writing work, it would need to be local so I could be paid cash so not to mess with insurance
    I am sorry to hear about your wife, we can’t help when life throws those hurdles at us but it’s awesome you focused on her over yourself man! Definitely in my thoughts

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Not to dissuade you, Neverland, but Echidna is right. Have you seen the new line from Magictails? Very detailed and colorful with a large fluke and in the water they look very impressive! Full silicone tails usually weigh about 35 to 45 lbs depending on the fluke and the designer and are difficult to get into and maneuver without experience, not to mention the price. I have gotten to where I hate carting around that heavy thing and much prefer the ease of one of my lighter tails and in my beach pics they look just as good.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I have some resources on how to save money for a mermaid tail

http://rainamermaid.tumblr.com/post/...-for-a-mermaid

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Not to dissuade you, Neverland, but Echidna is right. Have you seen the new line from Magictails? Very detailed and colorful with a large fluke and in the water they look very impressive! Full silicone tails usually weigh about 35 to 45 lbs depending on the fluke and the designer and are difficult to get into and maneuver without experience, not to mention the price. I have gotten to where I hate carting around that heavy thing and much prefer the ease of one of my lighter tails and in my beach pics they look just as good.
    Not dissuaded man I’ve looked at magictails, I’ve looked at mertailors eco tails even tried one on when they went on a deep sale and I’m just not a fan of fabric like tails forcwhst im wanting silly I know I
    mine is mostly for photos and lounging, I do get it will be heavy though
    and I do appreciate all the alternative ideas I know it’s a long shot for what what I’m wanting :/
    ever since I was little I’ve lover mermen from the Disney channel move 13th year, h20 just add water, sabrina down under, I’ve always wanted a realistic tail
    to me the fabric types just don’t give the shape and look I want for myself I can tell they are far more easily able to swim in, but as I may not ever actually swim or dive just sit in shallow waters idk seems like weight should not be the biggest factor

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I have some resources on how to save money for a mermaid tail

http://rainamermaid.tumblr.com/post/...-for-a-mermaid
    Thank you ill check it out!!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverlandMerman View Post
    I’m not officially allowed to work, if I did and got caught they could cancel my SSI insurance based on the grounds that well if he can work he don’t need it. When like most things in life not so straight forward
    will try to look into side jobs perhaps that pays cash
    Well, you can work a little, at least enough to pay for a tail:

Social Security work incentives at a glance

Trial work period —
    The trial work
    period allows you to test your ability to
    work for at least nine months. During
    your trial work period, you’ll receive your
    full Social Security benefits regardless
    of how much you’re earning as long as
    you report your work, and you continue
    to have a disability. In 2018, a trial work
    month is any month your total earnings
    are over $850. If you’re self-employed,
    you have a trial work month when you
    earn more than $850 (after business
    expenses) or work more than 80 hours in
    your own business. The trial work period
    continues until you have used nine trial
    work months within a 60-month period.

Extended period of eligibility —
    After your trial work period, you have 36
    months during which you can work and
    still receive benefits for any month your
    earnings aren’t “substantial.” In 2018, we
    consider earnings over $1,180 ($1,970
    if you’re blind) to be substantial. No new
    application or disability decision is needed
    for you to receive a Social Security
    disability benefit during this period.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Hi Neverland,
    For side jobs: Have you checked your local Craigslist for labor wanted? Often times, people need someone to clear brush, or clean yards, etc. Depending on your physical ability, of course. Depending on your education level, there's tutoring, which is often paid under the table.

Since you're on SSI, do you already know about earned vs 'unearned' income rules? SSI and SSDI are different sometimes, but a lot of sites that give basic info don't know that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by deepblue; 06-14-2018 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Well, you can work a little, at least enough to pay for a tail:

Social Security work incentives at a glance

Trial work period —
    The trial work
    period allows you to test your ability to
    work for at least nine months. During
    your trial work period, you’ll receive your
    full Social Security benefits regardless
    of how much you’re earning as long as
    you report your work, and you continue
    to have a disability. In 2018, a trial work
    month is any month your total earnings
    are over $850. If you’re self-employed,
    you have a trial work month when you
    earn more than $850 (after business
    expenses) or work more than 80 hours in
    your own business. The trial work period
    continues until you have used nine trial
    work months within a 60-month period.

Extended period of eligibility —
    After your trial work period, you have 36
    months during which you can work and
    still receive benefits for any month your
    earnings aren’t “substantial.” In 2018, we
    consider earnings over $1,180 ($1,970
    if you’re blind) to be substantial. No new
    application or disability decision is needed
    for you to receive a Social Security
    disability benefit during this period.
    we tried this went through all the forms and even placed me in a job few days later SS calls to let us know I had been in wrong category and I need to not accept any payment (which I didn’t) and I am on SSI not social security that was a year of paperwork and meetings wasted, told me had I accepted payment good chance I’d gave lost my ssi benefits including the insurance
    was hopimg this would have been a win for us but supplemental security income is what I have and they filed me as social security income

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    Hi Neverland,
    For side jobs: Have you checked your local Craigslist for labor wanted? Often times, people need someone to clear brush, or clean yards, etc. Depending on your physical ability, of course. Depending on your education level, there's tutoring, which is often paid under the table.

Since you're on SSI, do you already know about earned vs 'unearned' income rules? SSI and SSDI are different sometimes, but a lot of sites that give basic info don't know that.

Good luck!
    I’ve never quite trusted Craigslist my family once had a bad experience And I basically was told to avoid it, lol
    ss for ssi I know what you make is deducted from payments to a point and only allowed so much
    with all my medical appointments and random sickness at times I can’t commit to a full time job as it wouldn’t be fair to my employer, plus I’d have to do full time to continue making what I do now, and after trying the ticket to work and almost losing my insurance (treatment med is 70k a dose which I receive weekly) I just got scared to try messing with anything in that area
    I have mentioned to friends and family I’m looking to earn a little extra money to start saving and they said they’d spread the word and look for little things I could do for them that they could spare some cash for

It's very frustrating, isn't it? They make it really difficult to get designated for SSDI, it takes so long, and most still end up on SSI. 2/3 of applicants are turned down immediately. It's happened to three friends of mine who have debilitating illnesses. One of them actually passes out if she sits up too long, can't walk because of the same- she has a rare blood pressure disorder- but they put her through her through the ringer until it was too late to keep applying for SSDI.

I'm on SSDI and when it was just me and my child, here in So Cal, I saved in a manner a lot like was mentioned above.

The way I'd do it was to ration everything. I'm WW2 homefront history geek, and I admire greatly the way people of the time, esp in the UK, managed during rationing. So, I'd get paid, and take care of the priorities first- rent, phone/Internet, groceries for the month. Which I'd separate into boxes, one for each week. This allowed me to observe what was left over and not needed, and with a growing child it sometimes changed. Any remaining cash was then divided into even amounts for each week in the month, and I'd use it for fresh produce at the farmer's market (because prices were good and I could walk there, as I had no vehicle), and needs that might arise like crayons, extra Band-Aids, inhaler refills, etc. I rarely went out, but when I did it was easier for me than most because the DJs are usually people I know and would offer to guest-list me, and I didn't have to buy my own drinks pretty much ever. Over time, I didn't buy myself new clothes very often and when I did, they were from Target or second hand places, and I made my own basics sometimes, out of things like an unused duvet cover or disused pillowcases. At the end of the month, whatever tiny amount that was left could go into savings, but once in a great while I'd buy myself a small treat.

So I advise seeing where you can cut back, and if you can do it in an organized fashion, you'll get to some saving faster.

I understand wanting a silicone tail. And there's a lot good advice here about why they're not recommended for first time tailswimmers. And I agree that most fabric tails don't have that look- until I saw Finfolk's fabric tails. They are incredibly realistic, with flukes that take various standard monofins. Personally, I'm not a huge flukes gal, but I love the smaller flukes on their Mythic line (a neoprene base with resin scales). And I like that price. And that you can buy extra scales and add them to the tail to change the pattern.

But that's all I'm saying about that, before you tell us all to STOP RECOMMENDING FABRIC TAILS! It's because we care. But yeah. If your heart is set, it's set.