Thread: Merman Marinus SLOW Extended Tail Project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    This looks good. love your designs, what are you going to make your foot pocket out of? for your triangular piece i would suggest you create it in fiberglass. I have used fiberglass for some attempts on my tail. depending on how thick you make it will depend on how it feels in the water. it will not shatter at all, which is great for things that require high performance. I hope your extension works. I started my tail 7 years ago, and i'm finally on my last attempt of the extension. i will state this to you though. its not as easy as you might think to create. I wish you luck.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    This looks good. love your designs, what are you going to make your foot pocket out of? for your triangular piece i would suggest you create it in fiberglass. I have used fiberglass for some attempts on my tail. depending on how thick you make it will depend on how it feels in the water. it will not shatter at all, which is great for things that require high performance. I hope your extension works. I started my tail 7 years ago, and i'm finally on my last attempt of the extension. i will state this to you though. its not as easy as you might think to create. I wish you luck.
    I've never worked with fiberglass could you give me some tips? Plus i was thinking of the triangular footplate like a three piece set the blue for support and the brown one single piece of lexan all the way to monofin fin.Name:  20160722_204550-640x360.jpg
Views: 4556
Size:  22.4 KBName:  20160722_204328-600x1067.jpg
Views: 4423
Size:  49.9 KBName:  20160706_110412-1-800x379.jpg
Views: 4475
Size:  36.8 KB
    In addition Ive been thinking of making a (double shoe) made of clealr resin molded in silicone. Basically its a footpoket the triangular footplate base would be encrusted into the clear resin and scrued to secure in place.
    Last edited by Marinus Mortimer; 07-22-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Marinus View Post
    I've never worked with fiberglass could you give me some tips? Plus i was thinking of the triangular footplate like a three piece set the blue for support and the brown one single piece of lexan all the way to monofin fin.Name:  20160722_204550-640x360.jpg
Views: 4556
Size:  22.4 KB

I used fiberglass bandage with a fiberglass resin or harder. bandages are extremely strong and will not crack, shatter etc under pressure. ive never used the fiberglass matting. is the triangle simply designed for the rod to be attacked to? if so I would just do the triangle in one piece.

Name:  20160722_204328-600x1067.jpg
Views: 4423
Size:  49.9 KBName:  20160706_110412-1-800x379.jpg
Views: 4475
Size:  36.8 KB
    In addition Ive been thinking of making a (double shoe) made of clealr resin molded in silicone. Basically its a footpoket the triangular footplate base would be encrusted into the clear resin and scrued to secure in place.
    your foot pocket must be low cut profile. in order to get your feet into it. applying these tails is different to a standard monofin. meaning you can't just pull your feet into the pockets. this is my personal experience. do you mean you will make your pocket out of resin or silicone? you say molded in silicone which im getting a mental picture of the pocket actually being silicone.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......