Thread: Merman dreamer here

Merman dreamer here

Hey! Happy to have found this site as hopefully it will be a place I can connect with some nice fellow mermen and mermaids! I have a lot of medical limitations grew up in and out of hospitals, and have been told my dream of owning a silicone tail one day is not worth it. I wasn’t supposed to live past 11, I’m currently 26 thanks to a clinical trial that came out when I was 9. I now get the treatment weekly. I briefly lost my ability to walk but with physical thearapy when I was senior in highscool I got out of chair and can walk short distance myself. I have inner ear issues so not good when water gets in.. I know that’s not making me sound like a good merDude I don’t have anyone in my life I can discuss my interest with without harsh judgement.
    i love water despite the risks, oceans, lakes, pools, I feel better in it, I’ve always thought the merman was the coolest mythical creature I pray one day I get the chance to even try a silicone tail and maybe get photos, but I think I have the spirit to earn my scales, I try to stay positive and believe the best is always around the corner. I like to beat the odds.
    And looking forward to getting to know fellow mers!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Welcome! We're all glad your here today to enjoy the oceans with us!

Welcome! Those are long odds, but you've beaten them before and I'm sure you'll do it again.

Have fun making new merfriends and sharing your thoughts here!
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Welcome! We're all glad your here today to enjoy the oceans with us!
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Welcome! Those are long odds, but you've beaten them before and I'm sure you'll do it again.

Have fun making new merfriends and sharing your thoughts here!
    thank you it’s nice to be surrounded by people who have similar interests

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Welcome to the Waters, Neverland! Sounds like you have more than beat the odds before so a tail in your future doesn't seem far fetched at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Welcome to the Waters, Neverland! Sounds like you have more than beat the odds before so a tail in your future doesn't seem far fetched at all!
    Thank you Keiris, that means a lot especially your faith in my dream! I’m happy to be here!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Hi! Always fun to have more mermen,

First off, we have a facebook group for those of us in the industry dealing with physical illness if you'd like to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/575974002776889/ we face things that other mers don't, so we like having our own space to build each other up and discuss tips etc There's also another group for mers who rely on wheelchairs too

Second,
    Not everyone knows this anymore because I don't talk about it as much as I did in the early days of my mer-career, but my journey is very similar to yours. I also lost the ability to walk after struggling with serious illness my whole life. I had to learn to do it through physio again, and I used mermaiding as my motivation. I was born very premature and almost died on a number of occasions. Currently I am also taking a drug that when I started was in the trial stage. Now it's approved in my country, and the UK, but isn't yet available worldwide. Without this drug I would be permanently disabled and in excruciating pain.

Finally, I think being a merman is an excellent goal for you. If I can work up to swimming in a silicone tail- I believe you can too! My advice to you based on my own experience is it's OK to start out small. If you haven't yet, get a monofin to learn with. Even just that will be SO empowering. Then, upgrade to a fabric tail. Break this into achievable steps for yourself, and I think you'll be swimming in silicone in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Hi! Always fun to have more mermen,

First off, we have a facebook group for those of us in the industry dealing with physical illness if you'd like to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/575974002776889/ we face things that other mers don't, so we like having our own space to build each other up and discuss tips etc There's also another group for mers who rely on wheelchairs too

Second,
    Not everyone knows this anymore because I don't talk about it as much as I did in the early days of my mer-career, but my journey is very similar to yours. I also lost the ability to walk after struggling with serious illness my whole life. I had to learn to do it through physio again, and I used mermaiding as my motivation. I was born very premature and almost died on a number of occasions. Currently I am also taking a drug that when I started was in the trial stage. Now it's approved in my country, and the UK, but isn't yet available worldwide. Without this drug I would be permanently disabled and in excruciating pain.

Finally, I think being a merman is an excellent goal for you. If I can work up to swimming in a silicone tail- I believe you can too! My advice to you based on my own experience is it's OK to start out small. If you haven't yet, get a monofin to learn with. Even just that will be SO empowering. Then, upgrade to a fabric tail. Break this into achievable steps for yourself, and I think you'll be swimming in silicone in no time!
    I’ll give that group a look thank you for pointing it out! I’m sorry you had to go through that as I wouldn’t wish medical issues on anyone but I’m happy to hear your doing so well!
    i guess if I’m being honest I may never realistically dive with a tail. I’ve accepted that as I still can’t stand up perfectly straight, I even had lessons with a USA Paralympic swim coach who got me to where with a kickboard I made it to both ends of the pool, but my body we couldn’t get a balance center so without kickboard or float I sink. This is one reason I’ve been told to give up the dream. But in my Mind I’m happy lounging in pools or the low tide of the beach ocean front or even in tub haha, heck even if one day I could try one on and get photos took to remember it by. I have custom earplugs to help with inner ear issues so I do sometimes let my head go under.
    hopefully all of that isn’t a reason to not think I could one day have my tail. I have some art of myself as a merDude one of them is my profile avatar
    I love water despite all the bad, I can walk longer and stay standing loner when I’m in it. No one in my life really knows this passion I have so I guess it’s nice to voice my doubts to ppl along with the dreams

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    This is one reason I’ve been told to give up the dream.
    I really struggle with balance, and found a wide monofin actually compensated for it. And hey, if you can only do it with a kickboard, then do it with a kickboard my friend! There's no right or wrong way to do it. Modify it whatever way you need to to experience it

I also have custom ear plugs haha queen of the ear infections over here

I don't want you to give up hope. I also thought it would never happen, now I own an award winning mermaid business, travel around the world, been on TV, I never ever ever thought any of this stuff would work!

I believe in you <3

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I really struggle with balance, and found a wide monofin actually compensated for it. And hey, if you can only do it with a kickboard, then do it with a kickboard my friend! There's no right or wrong way to do it. Modify it whatever way you need to to experience it

I also have custom ear plugs haha queen of the ear infections over here

I don't want you to give up hope. I also thought it would never happen, now I own an award winning mermaid business, travel around the world, been on TV, I never ever ever thought any of this stuff would work!

I believe in you <3
    That sincerely means so much, I won’t rule out swimming in the tail just yet then, but right now main goal is to at least get the tail heck even if I’m a merman who can’t swim I’ll be happy, but that is seriously so inspiring to know I may be able to take my dream further (I guess dream I have is small compared to the bigger scale of what all it entails, but I do dream of just laying on the beach the waves washing up splashing me) ! I love hearing how far you’ve came! And so happy about it to, I know from personal journey it’s fun to beat the odds and overcome what you were told you couldn’t

Others have already said it better than me, but let me add my voice anyway; If you want to be a mer, then do it. If you need a kick board or help, so what? It's about having fun, and that's it.

Things like earplugs, a kickboard or floaters and whatever else are just tools. Use what you need and then rock it!

You don't need a tail to be a merperson. It's about what is in your heart that counts. That being said, never ever give up on your dream!

One thing that I absolutely love more then anything else is seeing is people incorporate their human disabilities and medical issues into their mersona. Merfolk have disabilities too, they have to, so find ways to use who you are to teach other people (especially kids) that you can be strong and follow your dream despite the setbacks and problems you face. You could cocome up with a backstory as to why your mersona needs a kickboard. Or find a way to decorate a kickboard so it looks like something else. There is always a way.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    but my body we couldn’t get a balance center so without kickboard or float I sink
    heck there are mers out there who wish they could sink! welcome to the mer family, we're all happy to have you
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Just a random idea you could decorate a kickboard like a shield and a pool float like a trident. That way they don't interfere with your personal fun as a merman. I am looking forward to seeing your tail.

Junior Member Pod of Cali Maleficent98's Avatar
    Add Maleficent98 on Facebook
    Hey Neverland!

You can do whatever you dream. I was happy to read your story and see that you are a fighter and continue to do so. I'm new to the site as of a bout 10 mins ago LOL

Jeff