Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: How long can you stay under?

If you're looking to get better, take a freediving class and train under an instructor who can guide you along, help you stretch and prep properly and solve problems with your technique. As Derek says, everyone's capable of 3 minutes or longer; just stay safe and never practise in water alone.

I was a pretty decent freediver and hold an AIDA 3 cert, but I'll spare you my PB as that part of my life is over for now.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    If you're looking to get better, take a freediving class and train under an instructor who can guide you along, help you stretch and prep properly and solve problems with your technique. As Derek says, everyone's capable of 3 minutes or longer; just stay safe and never practise in water alone.

I was a pretty decent freediver and hold an AIDA 3 cert, but I'll spare you my PB as that part of my life is over for now.
    That sound awesome!!!! I would LOVE to take a freediving class, both to improve my breath hold, and to possibly help me get over my tiny fear of open water. I'll probably wait until I'm older and can actually afford it XD. (still a teen :P)

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Holly View Post
    That sound awesome!!!! I would LOVE to take a freediving class, both to improve my breath hold, and to possibly help me get over my tiny fear of open water. I'll probably wait until I'm older and can actually afford it XD. (still a teen :P)

Glad to help, Holly! I'm sure there're freediving coaches near you; and not to worry, you've still got plenty of time.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

I'll admit I'm a little lazy right now with breath holds (in regards to trying to stay under longer) because I'm mostly doing lane swimming in a pool where I don't want to scare the lifeguards and parties that are mostly shallow water. But I still try to keep it up, and have a habit of practising breath holds at random on land when relaxed. When doing my AIDA level 1 course though my static breath hold in the water went to 1:40 which I was pretty proud of considering how nervous I probably was, and hear that level 2 possibly requires a 2 minute breath hold to pass? Can't wait to do the level 2 course in June.
    Formerly known as Mermaid Cosmica

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    First thing I'll say, I don't swim in a tail. But I was a competitive swimmer for a while, and I could get to around 1:30, sometimes over, in practice, just by staying under when I had nothing else to do. I worked at this for a while, and my time kept growing the more used to it I got. One thing I have to say, though I'm not sure if this is just me, is that I found it much easier to do underwater than out of the water. When I'm not swimming, I can usually only do a few seconds. Maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    First thing I'll say, I don't swim in a tail. But I was a competitive swimmer for a while, and I could get to around 1:30, sometimes over, in practice, just by staying under when I had nothing else to do. I worked at this for a while, and my time kept growing the more used to it I got. One thing I have to say, though I'm not sure if this is just me, is that I found it much easier to do underwater than out of the water. When I'm not swimming, I can usually only do a few seconds. Maybe that's just me.
    Yeah the part about doing better when in the water, the instructor I had said that's because of the Mammalian Dive Response it's this cool thing where from instinct when you put your face in the water, it automatically lowers your heart rate and makes it a little bit easier. No wonder we all feel better when swimming
    Formerly known as Mermaid Cosmica

Follow Teeny on Tumblr
    A minute when static, 45 seconds while swimming. Or at least that's what I could do in November, I didn't measure it since then...

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSeaAlaria View Post
    Yeah the part about doing better when in the water, the instructor I had said that's because of the Mammalian Dive Response it's this cool thing where from instinct when you put your face in the water, it automatically lowers your heart rate and makes it a little bit easier. No wonder we all feel better when swimming
    Yeah, it's so cool to think about the way it works. When I finally do tell my family and friends, and get a tail, I can't wait to see what it's like to actually try swimming in it and holding your breath. It looks so cool and fun
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthSeaAlaria View Post
    [...] When doing my AIDA level 1 course though my static breath hold in the water went to 1:40 which I was pretty proud of considering how nervous I probably was, and hear that level 2 possibly requires a 2 minute breath hold to pass? Can't wait to do the level 2 course in June.
    The 2 minute requirement for AIDA level 2 sounds like a lot, but during the course you get a lot of relaxation techniques at hand that it should be a piece of cake for you, especially if you are at 1:40 already. During my course I thought at first that it would be a problem, too, but in the end I passed the test with 2:30 static and still felt good... (since then I really got lazy and out of shape, unfortunately.)

Tom Sietas can stay underwater for 22 minutes and 22 seconds. Unfortunately, I'm not that strong to stay that long LOL. Maybe 22 seconds only

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Everett View Post
    Tom Sietas can stay underwater for 22 minutes and 22 seconds. Unfortunately, I'm not that strong to stay that long LOL. Maybe 22 seconds only
    Not really. Tom Siatas personal record ( and at the time world record) was 10:12 seconds. His 22minutes was done breathing PURE OXEGYN . Pure oxygen or even a Mixed gas mix works because the air we breath is only 21% oxygen. If we move to a 100% pure mix then our lungs still absorb the 02 at it's normal rate of diffusion. But with 5 times the amount allow us ridiculous long breath holds. The limiting factor with 02 breath holds is co2 tolerance.It's cool to use for performance if you're properly trained; Because there are some dangers involved like co2 toxicity and o2 poisoning at depth. . sorry for the mansplaining

Before moving to pure oxygen so you can one up David Blane, you should be a trained freediver.
    Last edited by Derek Broussard; 06-25-2018 at 05:22 PM.

I think the longest I've held my breath by NOT being underwater was ninety seconds, and then underwater, may have been forty to a minute.

Mermaid Mikayla

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Everett View Post
    Well he took pure oxygen before! The longest natural breath hold was about 12 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KTMaggs View Post
    Well he took pure oxygen before! The longest natural breath hold was about 12 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Well, thanks for letting me know about it. I did not know that Tom took pure oxygen before.