Thread: Your Human Job?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    You're in a place where there is a great dance school on every corner^^

and yes, dance lessons are a must if you want to go musical, even if you plan to be a singer first and foremost.
    I meant that I know you from the community, so it's good we have something else in common as well, and maybe you could tell me a little about it. I have to start taking dance lessons when I get my schedule sorted out, and after the insane Christian woman who I'm close to stops saying it's "too feminine for me."
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    I have to start taking dance lessons when I get my schedule sorted out, and after the insane Christian woman who I'm close to stops saying it's "too feminine for me."
    Jamie, please remind your "friend" of some of the most well known male dancers of all time that she should know...if she is as intelligent as she is opinionated: Fred Astaire (classic ballroom, movie/musical theater)
    Gene Kelly (movie/musical theater)
    Gregory Hines (tap)
    Sammy Davis Jr. (tap)
    Savion Glover (percussive tap)
    Mikael Baryshnikov (ballet)
    Danny Kaye (movie/musical theater)
    Domingo Ortega (flamenco)
    Farruquito (flamenco)
    Bob Fosse (movie/jazz)
    We could go on here forever with all styles of dance and don't get me started on the choreographers!
    All experts in their respective fields of dance, all men, all STRAIGHT (not that that's a barometer for masculinity because it simply isn't.)

I have don a TON of musical theater in my life and played all different kinds of roles. Having a good foundation in dance always came in handy because it only increases your value as a performer. Most of the successful actors on Broadway are triple threats as you know! Good luck!

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Jamie, please remind your "friend" of some of the most well known male dancers of all time that she should know...if she is as intelligent as she is opinionated: Fred Astaire (classic ballroom, movie/musical theater)
    Gene Kelly (movie/musical theater)
    Gregory Hines (tap)
    Sammy Davis Jr. (tap)
    Savion Glover (percussive tap)
    Mikael Baryshnikov (ballet)
    Danny Kaye (movie/musical theater)
    Domingo Ortega (flamenco)
    Farruquito (flamenco)
    Bob Fosse (movie/jazz)
    We could go on here forever with all styles of dance and don't get me started on the choreographers!
    All experts in their respective fields of dance, all men, all STRAIGHT (not that that's a barometer for masculinity because it simply isn't.)

I have don a TON of musical theater in my life and played all different kinds of roles. Having a good foundation in dance always came in handy because it only increases your value as a performer. Most of the successful actors on Broadway are triple threats as you know! Good luck!
    Thank you so much. I also want to tell her that I know many athletes do dance. When I did Spelling Bee earlier this year, I felt a little embarrassed because I have not done any dance, and so, while I'm pretty good at singing and acting, I need to get the third sphere covered if I ever want to achieve my dream.

I've been talking to one of my best friends, who will hopefully be the first person I tell about the mer community (she's into fantasy and stuff like that as well, and is very open minded and supportive), is an incredibly talented dancer. She did National Dance Institute for a while, and I went to see her a few times in her shows. She has been giving me advice on how to approach this, and I'm so thankful. I would never know what to do if not for her.

I also have my voice teacher backing me up on this, so that's another great thing.

I have a couple other people I know will help me through this. And trust me, this isn't the first time she's deemed something I want to do "too feminine" or "so gay." Honestly, I'm sick of her being so homophobic. And she refuses to admit it. She doesn't know it, but I've been a big part of the Queer-Straight Alliance at my school lately. I don't know much about my identity, and it's too early for me to think about that, but right now, I just want to help as many people as possible.
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.