Thread: Galveston- what should a tourist mermaid do?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar

Galveston- what should a tourist mermaid do?

Hey mers who have been to Galveston or live around there, what is something fun and mermaidy a tourist can do? What are the best areas for swimming and snorkling? Are there any stores with an abundance of mermaid goodies?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    The Strand has a gift shop I like called The Admirality. Lots of good ocean themed stuff!

I don't know of any good snorkeling spots in Galveston, though. Water there tends to be really murky. In Texas, you have to go further south to find clear seawater. (even then, it's not gonna be like, perfect Florida clear)

Unfortunately, Texas water is trash. Some of the rivers are nice though like in the San Antonio and Austin area.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaidmechanic View Post
    Unfortunately, Texas water is trash. Some of the rivers are nice though like in the San Antonio and Austin area.
    San Marcos river is a good one. If you go to the Corpus area or South Padre Island on a good day, you might get reasonably clear water, but not like, Florida levels.

I don't care about clear water. I only care about the brine.

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    As someone from Clearwater, FL, I am offended XD

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****

Quote Originally Posted by MerFantasy View Post
    As someone from Clearwater, FL, I am offended XD

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I grew up living on a lake. Dark water is my specialty.

I don't know how "mermaid-y" this is but the Moody Gardens Aquarium is really nice. You could check that out.
    "There has got to be more to life than just being really, really, really ridiculously good-looking."
    -Derek Zoolander

Quote Originally Posted by merman_kae View Post
    I don't know how "mermaid-y" this is but the Moody Gardens Aquarium is really nice. You could check that out.
    They updated the aquarium section not too long ago, I haven't had a chance to see it myself but it looks really cool! Downside with Moody Gardens is that the one day admission is pretty expensive. If you're not REALLY into aquariums/zoos you might not think it's worth it. (though I think the year membership is a good deal)

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Delphinidae View Post
    They updated the aquarium section not too long ago, I haven't had a chance to see it myself but it looks really cool! Downside with Moody Gardens is that the one day admission is pretty expensive. If you're not REALLY into aquariums/zoos you might not think it's worth it. (though I think the year membership is a good deal)
    I, generally, go every year when my mom goes for a law conference. I remember admission being pricey but, and maybe this is because I stay at the hotel there and it’s a little different, I think it’s a good way to waste a day and it’s worth it if you take full advantage of what’s there. And, if you stay at the hotel, the pools are tail friendly.

Unfortunately Galveston is very brown and sandy water and the pollution has gotten so bad there in the gulf the water can sting some times! If you want scenic in Texas find clear rivers and spring like the Texas hill country or go down south more like corpus! I honestly done even want to take my tail into the water In Galveston because I am afraid it will be ruined if I do!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Satine View Post
    Unfortunately Galveston is very brown and sandy water and the pollution has gotten so bad there in the gulf the water can sting some times! If you want scenic in Texas find clear rivers and spring like the Texas hill country or go down south more like corpus! I honestly done even want to take my tail into the water In Galveston because I am afraid it will be ruined if I do!

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork mobile app
    Thx for the tip. I had hesitations about going to Galveston from old stories I have heard from other mermaids, but apparently the water has gotten a lot better. Luckily I have several tails I can rotate thru and use ones I don't mind getting messy.

All that said, Does anybody want to meet up with us in September? We will be there the week after labor day.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid_Rain's Avatar
    Add Mermaid_Rain on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid_Rain's Youtube Channel
    Our water isnt always gross and brown. Just last weekend it was so clear that I could see my feet in shoulder deep water!

I'd totally be down for a September meet up! I have an event mid-Sept, but other than that I'm mostly just sitting on my fins after I health issue I had in June.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Rain View Post
    Our water isnt always gross and brown. Just last weekend it was so clear that I could see my feet in shoulder deep water!

I'd totally be down for a September meet up! I have an event mid-Sept, but other than that I'm mostly just sitting on my fins after I health issue I had in June.
    as somebody who likes to roll around in mud and used to swim in algae choked water I really don't mind nasty water. I can hit you up when it's closer to the time for us to be down there and we'll see what happens.