Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scientists decode genetic secrets of the Great White shark

Scientists decode genetic secrets of the Great White shark

In a significant step for marine and genetic science, researchers have decoded the genome of the great white shark.

Scientists have unlocked the secrets of the shark genome and the information they have discovered may help create new treatments for genetic damage and even cure cancers. Over 400 milion years sharks have had a long time to come up with novel methods to protect against genetic damage.

The team of scientists now intend importing shark genes into lab mice to see if they can immunise them from cell damage.

Would you like imported shark genes in your DNA? I dont think i would mind.

Check out this very interesting article below.
    https://www.nowscience.co.uk/single-post/2019/02/19/Scientists-decode-genetic-secrets-of-the-Great-White-shark

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Who are you?
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Trade Winds's Avatar
    No one's becoming an animal-human hybrid anytime soon, bye

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Lol wut

All species have cross dna slippage through bacteria and nobody is half plant or spider or bird loool

Must be a bot??
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Not a bot. Nobody said anything about being half spider half bird. Having shark genes that mean I am immune from damage to my DNA seems very adventurous. Which is what the team who released this paper say too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Who are you?
    Thats a very open question. Who are any of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Trade Winds View Post
    No one's becoming an animal-human hybrid anytime soon, bye
    There's some mice in a lab that are about to become mouse/shark hybrids. Mice and humans are not very different at all.

If you are a new mer, please follow the rules and introduce yourself. A random series of posts is suspicious and does make you seem either a bot or a troll.

Esp. With the content you are posting!
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

Quote Originally Posted by SirenGita View Post
    If you are a new mer, please follow the rules and introduce yourself. A random series of posts is suspicious and does make you seem either a bot or a troll.

Esp. With the content you are posting!
    Well its plainly obvious I am not a bot. And I am not trolling anyone. I just thought that scientific information would be of interest to this group.

You shouldn't be so suspicious of outsiders.

you might not want your opening salvo on the message boards to be about human/shark hybridization. We're a rather accepting group of people but this is way out there even for us
    Take the wave now and know that you're free
    Turn your back on the land face the sea
    Face the wind now so wild and so strong
    When you think of me
    Wave to me and send me a song

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I think this is not about "hybridization". Scientists have for decades tried to (ab)use the fact that sharks are apparently immune to cancer.

(In a great show of scientific proceedings, sharks have been forcefully injected with cancer cells again and again without developing any. Don't you love those scientist guys, always working to make the world a better place!)

That team claims they will find a way to use shark DNA to make other species profit from the shark immunity.
    My take on that?
    Don't screw around with stuff you don't understand.
    I know many humans, especially those in that working field, think of themselves as gods, but you are not.
    And if you fiddle around with things far beyond your understanding, the results are usually devastating.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar

Scientists decode genetic secrets of the Great White shark

Link doesn’t work for me. Anyway, I’m curious to see where this kind of research will go. But OP, I don’t think you’ll be getting any shark genes any time soon, lol.
    Last edited by Mermaid Delphinidae; 02-21-2019 at 09:21 AM.

Im actually well acquainted with gmos. He wont

Also, yes this is interesting but most of these projects take years if not decades and then rarely work outside the lab, good example : "golden rice" and gmo salmon (which a friend actually helped engineer).

Even if they do "figure it out" i sure dont have any interest living to 200+ in this fd up world...we have much bigger problems right now than living forever.

Living that long would most certainly destroy the earth with no other changes, even more and faster than we have managed now.
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

Yeah, the media is generally pretty bad at science reporting and loves to sensationalize things. Whatever comes of this research probably won’t be as exciting as all cancers easily cured and we all live forever, lol. Thing about cancer is, there are so many different kinds, they work differently, it’s highly unlikely that we’ll get a single cure for all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Quote Originally Posted by SirenGita View Post
    Im actually well acquainted with gmos. He wont

Also, yes this is interesting but most of these projects take years if not decades and then rarely work outside the lab, good example : "golden rice" and gmo salmon (which a friend actually helped engineer).

Even if they do "figure it out" i sure dont have any interest living to 200+ in this fd up world...we have much bigger problems right now than living forever.

Living that long would most certainly destroy the earth with no other changes, even more and faster than we have managed now.
    Yes I see where you are coming from. However I think the problem with humanity currently is that we live and think in such short timescales. We know we only have decades to live so we dont worry too much about the future (even though we know we should). Imagine if you could live healthily to 200 or 400. The expertise and contribution to the world you could make in that time would be huge. At present we spend 20% as a child learning, 35% contributing and 45% old. if we live to around 90 years. Longer life means greater active life span, fixing the issues of their lifetime. That wouldnt necessarily mean a huge population boom because people would not have to rush into having babies at 30>.

I think it would take a period of adaptation but it would in the end be beneficial for the world as the population would be generally more educated and experienced, so would make better long term decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLifeLine View Post
    Yes I see where you are coming from. However I think the problem with humanity currently is that we live and think in such short timescales. We know we only have decades to live so we dont worry too much about the future (even though we know we should). Imagine if you could live healthily to 200 or 400. The expertise and contribution to the world you could make in that time would be huge. At present we spend 20% as a child learning, 35% contributing and 45% old. if we live to around 90 years. Longer life means greater active life span, fixing the issues of their lifetime. That wouldnt necessarily mean a huge population boom because people would not have to rush into having babies at 30>.

I think it would take a period of adaptation but it would in the end be beneficial for the world as the population would be generally more educated and experienced, so would make better long term decisions.
    True, though we would also run the risk of public policies being even more stagnant than they already are because politicians (and other people in positions of power) would be able to hold their positions so much longer. We don't see much change when the same people have been in power for 50 years, it will be even worse if people could hold their positions for 100 years or more. However, some of this problem could be avoided with mandatory term limits on every political position.

Personally I'm more interested in science creating apples that taste like raspberries. Also, cloning the extinct dwarf elephants. Think about it, guys, we could all have little elephants as pets!

That is a persuasive argument right there. I’m sold.

Quote Originally Posted by NoLifeLine View Post
    That is a persuasive argument right there. I’m sold.
    Finally, someone who gets me! What sealed the deal for you, the apples or the elephants? I want the elephants the most. Everyone talks about cloning mammoths, but come on, those would be way too impractical to have as pets!

Miniature elephants are a must have for every home in the future.

Speaking as someone who is allergic to pretty much everything, genetic engineering is evil. When science starts splicing weird genes in to our food to make it pest-resistant, hardier, whatever, it causes those foods to register as "not-food" items as far as my immune system is concerned. Our entire food supply is slowly being destroyed by GMO items.

Don't even get me started on "vegetarian chickens". Even organic "vegetarian-fed" chickens and farmed fish are fed on GMO corn and soy at many farms.

Let's not irritate Ma Nature any more than we already have. We have made enough of a mess of the only planet we have.