Thread: Archive: "Not to be a jerk" (Public reviews for Mermagica)

Archive: "Not to be a jerk" (Public reviews for Mermagica)

This is an archived thread that was originally posted on mer.yuku.com, the predecessor to MerNetwork. For more information about mer.yuku.com, click here.

AinaR

06/11/11 06:25:06
    Not to be a jerk or anything but I noticed on the Mermagica facebook page quite a few complaints, I'll quote some but I've removed usernames....:

Mermagica posted this:
    We want to apologize for the delays you have been experiencing recently in our service levels. We are working very hard to make sure everyone gets a response more quickly and that shipments are dispatched on time. We ask that you be patient with us as we work to fulfill all your orders and make mermaid dreams come true this summer season! Thank You.
    I thought that meant business was booming so I went to congratulate them when I saw these comments (I think there were more that may have been deleted)
    Well I would like to say how UN-happy I am with your service (or lack of service)! No response to my issues!!! I would not recommend you to anyone. Too expensive with no customer service now my daughter cannot use her tail nor have I been able to get a response to get a new one
    THIS IS NOT A NEW PROBLEM!!!! We got my daughter one for Christmas and after a few uses it is crap. It took forever to get our order with no response from Mermagica at all until we found the business owners and started calling their cell phones which were listed on their business patent online. Jose "Joe" Davila 214-717-8448 is the one listed now not sure if that is the one I called.
    A different person wrote this comment:
    To Carey and Jose Davila, internet, interstate fraud is a federal offense. BE ADVISED!!!
    And the following conversation happened because of it:

• Mermagica Please do not continue to post these messages. As you can see, there are many other customers who are very happy with our product and service. Please write us at support@mermagica.com to handle all issues.10 hours ago · Like

• (user name removed) and as I can see there are also many that are not happy with your service. come correct or things will only get worse. YOU DO NOT RESPOND TO EMAILS so that suggestion is useless. Return my call and lets discuss this. 10 hours ago · Like
    • Mermagica You accidentally placed 3 orders in our store yesterday 6/9 - we have since refunded 2 of them. It takes 24-48 hours for the money to appear back in your account. Please allow time for this to process as it is out of our control. Your order will take up to 5 business days to ship and we will send you tracking information as soon as we ship your items.10 hours ago · Like
    • (user name removed) ok, I will accept we "accidently" placed 3 orders. I will stop any further action for 5 business days pending actual account credit and receipt of a quality product.10 hours ago · Like
    • (user name removed) and FYI, that order was placed 5.31.11

Another few:
    you deleted my comments but thats ok! sorry for the other comments. im just really anxious
    I just got a phone call from a lovely lady in Southern California that she had my green Tail! Also, she had a gold tail for a lady in North Carolina! So both our orders got stuck into hers. She did say her daughters loved their Blue & Pink fins and were swimming in them at the time. But now we are trying to figure out how to get mine to me without her having to pay for it and without me having to give her my personal info. If you are missing a gold tail and live in North Carolina, she left you a voice mail. At least we know that they weren't lost in the mail. Really wish Mermagica would keep better track of their orders tho!
    WE ARE STARTING A WORLD WIDE BOYCOTT OF YOU AND YOUR PRODUCTS FOR SPONSORING THE MERMAID AWARDS WHICH CLAIM TO BE FOR CONSERVATION YET FEATURE THE MERMAIDS IN THE POOL WITH PATRONS OF THE MIRAGE AND CAPTIVE DOLPHINs. This does not stand for conservation

I placed an order on May 10 and was told on May 20th that my order was scheduled to ship this coming Tuesday May 24 and would provide a tracking email once my items have been dispatched. i emailed you on Thursday, May 26th for track info-no response. i've given you more than enough days to make (3-5day) and ship (paid extra for the 2-3 day shipment). Please kindly respond. order # 2206
    omg Im so desappointes my cousin birthday was on may 31 (yesterday) but we will make for her a party on friday ...june 3 and until now I didnt recieve anything yet I order a tail on may 15 for her birthday and I think that I will not give her anything for her birthday even though she is my best cousin , I called mermagica and leave for thiem a messages but they never respond :"(
    mabye i should buy one from another website...
    have ordered recently order confirmation # 2166...l/m on phone number and three emails to confirm when product will be shipped...debit card already charged the day I ordered....not happy with no response..is this a scam??? Please respond!!!!

These go on and on... :S

There's a couple things I read that strike alarm bells for me. 1 is that I noticed is that there are people boycotting the Mermaid Awards and thus this company and I am wondering if any of the other ones taking part are prepared for that? 2. A lot of people are complaining about their tails taking too long to come or not at all even after they've paid extra for fast shipping. 3. It seems anyone who has questions or concerns is phoning, emailing, and writing on facebook without response.

I'm not passing judgement I was just surprised to see all of this happening. I hope if it's true they get their act together because they have affordable tails that a lot of kids buy.
    OrcaMatt

06/11/11 09:07:37
    Something must have happened they don't seem to want to talk about, or they got hit with a lot of orders (when Pirates came out? Ramping up to WMA?) and it exposed problems with the scalability of their production process. They seem to put out a good product - but not a horribly complex one - and I can't believe it takes that long to put one together, so either they got absolutely slammed with orders lately and weren't ready or able to deal with it, or something's up behind the scenes.

And OH yeah, you're going to find a DA who isn't your brother-in-law to make a federal case out of a $100 mermaid tail (Assuming you can demonstrate intent to defraud, and then be able to show Federal standing). Come on people...I wonder how much of their own problems are in fact their customers. This is what happens when you shoot for that market segment...I feel like you get more of the entitlement complex at the low end than the high. Mike running a week or two behind on a tail? "No problem...for $3000, take your time, man, it's going to be amazing!"
    Winged Mermaid

06/11/11 16:10:37
    I had heard good things about them before from most people. There were a few incidents where some tails fell apart at the seams in the past but it didn't happen a lot. Looks like they just can't handle the spike in orders. They need to pull it together or shut down the order page for a while or else they're going to ruin their reputation for good.
    AinaR

06/11/11 20:18:21
    well, since posting this I've now been blocked from their page. Which is a shame considering I didnt have an opinion and now that simple move has given me one, however I only had it liked with my mermaid account I can still see it on my personal account. So I guess they read the forums here too.

If you're reading mermagica, I just quoted what was publicly on your page passing no judgement. This IS a review forum and people who are looking to buy your tails are going to see the same thing on your facebook. That's disappointing as I have only ever written nice things on your page and wouldn't pass judgement on a product I've never owned.
    OrcaMatt

06/11/11 20:59:23
    /facepalm
    jukubabii

06/11/11 21:07:14
    wow..that's insane..and i wanted one of their tails too
    Taniwha

06/12/11 02:42:19
    I was thinking about getting one of theirs, though to be honest, this won't put me off buying one of their tails - I'll probably just wait until after the WMA and see how they're going then. They've had a good rep up until this...
    AinaR

06/12/11 06:55:40
    Im certainly not suggesting people don't buy from them, but this seems to have been an issue for months when I read through their facebook. But take your best judgement
    MermaidRaven

06/12/11 20:03:44
    I think your point about the WMA is interesting....I hope that some of this anger towards the awards doesn't turn into anger against any of the mermaids participating ya know?

Also I would wait until they have proven their good rep again before ordering any tails from them...especially when there are so many other places that sell fabric tails. I was recommending them to quite a few people as well, then people started emailing me telling me I shouldn't promote them I didnt think anything of it really I think it was like 3 or 4 people who emailed me? but blocking you is kinda shitty....and now that I realize all the people that are unhappy I'm not going to recommend them to anyone else until this changes.
    AinaR

06/14/11 08:42:23
    That's what I was thinking Raven. A lot of people seem to have different issues with WMA (mostly dolphin related) and I am concerned too that it's going to end up on certain people. It's too bad. Sita's doing her best but you can't please everybody. I was just surprised to see such outright protest of it.

It's interesting you got emailed messages about it. I have another quote

appolize my ass...I left you several messages and emails with no response...my order #2118. My daughters birthday has come and gone and she never got her tail nor did I ever hear from you about what was happening with my order. someone posted that you were out of business but yet you continue to respond to "some message"....I guess you chose who you will and will not respond to. So many of my daughters friends were waiting to see the tail and order one for themselves but now you won't get any of that business. I'm surprised anyone still orders from you after reading this site.
    I dont know why so many companies believe staying silent will help their cause. They need to match it head on just like Eric did and address it. It only makes it worse to ignore it and leave people to do what they will
    MermaidKristal

06/22/11 13:01:25
    I ordered a super tail and matching swimsuit from Mermagica, inc. I got a tail that was 12 inches too long and too wide by 2 inches (and I am a seamstress, I was very specific with my measurements), and a swimsuit not even CLOSE to the measurements I sent them. Then to top it all off, they sent me a lesser valued, USED monofin, NOT what is guaranteed on their website! I called and emailed and got no response. I had to file a dispute with paypal, to get a customer service response. (Take away their money and they respond pretty quickly) I paid to send the tail back to them to be fixed, and instead of resewing the side seam, youc an see where they just put the serger on it and took it in with a separate seam. They sent back the SAME used monofin. They refused to respond after that, because paypal released their money.

I filed a dispute with the BBB, which they refused to respond to. Buyer beware with Mermagica!

raina

06/25/11 13:03:07
    A few more posts
    Caitlin Jade K. Tanoue
    i ordered my tail because im in vegas for the summer and i wanted to use it our pool. and at home i dont have a pool. so now im never going to use it!
    Thursday at 7:06pm

Caitlin Jade K. Tanoue and you guys keep on ignoring my emails
    Thursday at 7:18pm

Caitlin Jade K. Tanoue
    why is everyone getting their tail but me!!
    Thursday at 6:38pm
    Then this one comes:
    Nelda Hampshire
    To everyone who is currently having doubts, I just spoke to some of the workers of mermagica via-email. They have confirmed that they have cleared up their shipment issues. I do hope everyone understands(despite anyone's disappointment) that sometimes small companies, especially this one that is starting to become a booming one, do and will experience back up issues. And any and all rage and disappointment is deeply understood. I feel for the stories of some of these young girls who have had birthday disappointments and parents having frustrations, and everyone else. But these issues just arose within the past few months or so(remember, we are only half way through the year, though that seems like a long time.) and they satisfied costumers since 2008 up until these past few months. Their products rarely fail to enthuse and make their customers happy(and they are very well known, before the previous issues, for fixing their issues).
    replies to it:
    Nelda Hampshire And if they somehow, within the next few week, disappoint you, just be persistent and do your best to keep your temper and be respectful.
    Business or person;
    It's not about the mistakes you make, it's how you recover from them.
    June 21 at 11:06pm
    Allison Prisim-Mermaid Perez my only question is how come people who ordered way after me have thiers and minr didnt even ship yet.
    Wednesday at 1:00pm
    Allison Prisim-Mermaid Perez my only question is how come people who ordered way after me have thiers and minr didnt even ship yet.
    Caitlin Jade K. Tanoue same here. ive ordered mine about a month ago on may 30th. they told me 2 weeks ago it would take 5 business days but still hasnt arived
    I am only posting these because I know they delete comments and block people so there ya go make your own decisions!
    raina

07/07/11 06:56:55
    More posts
    Mermagica
    We are on backorder for the new colors Aqua/Pink and Kelp Green until the middle of August. We are doing everything we can to get these colors stocked more quickly. We will keep you updated on our progress.
    13 hours ago

name removed: You have enough time to post on facebook but not to answer my emails?
    We are shipping our next batch of tails! All orders through 2603 will be sent by Tuesday 7/5/2011, look for emails with tracking information from us by then!
    July 2 at 2:20pm

2 people like this.
    Name removed: So, you shipped my tail to me last Thursday.
    I paid for priority shipping
    I still have not gotten it
    I missed the shoot
    Thanks A LOT mermagica.
    User name removed: So, just saying. You guys are getting sued. We called the postal service and they said they do not see why we have not received anything yet. The only reason anyone can see is fraud and lying. We cannot even look at the tracking links anymore because they are broken. You scammed us and other people. Just because you throw out false promises and tend to only certain customers, you think it makes up for screwing other people over. And that after so much hassle and harassing they FINALLY get their order that THAT makes it ok. You're a weak company and it seems to also be selective scammers.
    You'll be hearing from a lawyer.
    I feel the same way, I ordered my tail in the EXACT measurements I have on my legs ect. And yet I get another tail that goes up to my underarms.

So there are GOOD posts too, it seems to be pretty split down the middle between happy and unhappy customers. Really does sound like an issue of back ordering and too many on the go! I hope they can get things fixed up in time for the convention
    fifi

07/10/11 06:51:34
    Apparently the lady who posted the comment about sueing mermagica received her tail on thursday... I guess such things just need time. I just hope they manage to solve their backorder problem before WMA though. Otherwise there's gonna be a lot of unhappy people...
    raina

07/10/11 07:47:45
    I agree Fifi. I dont wish anything bad on em, I think it's great they can do so well there's just been so many complaints people have even emailed me and other mers about it! I hope they get it all figured out soon!!

I personally think newbie mers on a budget can certainly do better than Mermagica, although I certainly mean no offense to those who have Mermagica tails or all planning on buying from them. The quality is OK for the price, but for my personal aesthetic taste, they just look kinda plain-looking to me and I wish they had more color options. I think part of the reason why FinFun is my favorite low-end tailmaker is that even though their tails are just made from ordinary run-of-the-mill spandex/nylon blend swimwear fabric like Mermagica and FoxMoon, they have some really interesting prints, and their line keeps expanding and changing.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Today I just received My tail from Mermagica. An I followed there post from shipping till it received at my home an it was true to there word. I do plan on buying another tail from them, not for me but for my daughter as she wants a tail as well and I think it would be a good investment. LOL she wants to be like her daddy.

vallee33, like father, like daughter (: thats adorable, really.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yeah this thread is over a year old, Im sure things have changed

Junior Member Pod of the Great Lakes
    I have a Mermagica tail and am satisfied with it. I ordered mine during the WMA fiasco and was told I would have it by the end of August-I ordered it in June- due to the material I wanted being backordered. August came and went and I was getting no responses via email so I contacted them on Facebook and they got back to me quickly. I was told October and that is when I received it. I have worn the tail quite a bit for swim lessons and such and it is starting to show its wear. I ordered my neice one just like mine (as she wanted to look just like me) and I compared it to my tail- what a difference. My tail is still nice but it definately has faded and lost some of it's shine. My friend Heidi wore her red tail once and already half the sparkle is gone and strange white marks are showing through? Weird. We are working on neoprene tails and just wanted the Mermagica tails to play in. I can't endorse anyone else as I haven't used anyone else but I can say that Mermagica tails are great for one summer. They aren't bad as you can keep your monofin and trade out skins due to the low price. Their customer service is rough. With my neice's tail I received email updates regularly and the tail actually came earlier than I expected so my second experience with them was far better. I would just warn other mers, if you want to do this professionally or regularly these tails are not quality enough for regular wear and tear. If you are on a time crunch do not order from them. They are in no hurry to rush these tails out to you.

Once I finish my neoprene tail I am going back in and fixing this tail, making some updates, maybe painting it and then I am going to seal it with silicone so I will share on my page how that works out.

I think it would be awesome if all you magica tail owners would write full reviews in the review section so people looking for reviews can find it

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Hello everyone.

I wanted to comment as I have recently ordered from Mermagica.com for my daughter's birthday. She was so excited and I was happy to be placing the orders. I tried to contact them many times via email and phone and never got a response. Does anyone know anything about them? I see they have an "F" rating with the BBB in Dallas Texas. There are many recently poor ratings all over the web on Mermagica. I checked Facebook and noticed many recent posts for that company that was not very attractive. I am appaulled that anyone would try to rip off these younger children. I have just noticed after my many posts on several sites that they just updated their site to say it's taking a longer time to produce everyone's items. I don't think it should take some negative posts to get one to man up and just answer the phone and emails. This has alot to say about the integrity and business ethics of the people at Mermagica.com.

Service is the key and success to any business. Anyone can produce these tails. So I ask Mermagica to step up to the plate

I think they run into a lot of issues when monofins end up being back ordered.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Raina I think you could be correct on that note, from what I was told by a person that I know that knows them personaly and she was telling me that they have been swamped with orders. An for them to get a tail done with a monofin is a great price on a budget. An there quality of there tail is quit well. I love my tail from them And most likely order another tail from them for my daughter.

The issue at hand is that I think many people want to know what is going on. Not responding to customer requests is just not good business. If they would say that at the time of the order (ie: collection of funds) then that would be fine. All I was wanting was an answer to a question and they couldn't do that. So what shall I expect when I do receive my order. Price has nothing to do with exemplary service!

Quote Originally Posted by vallee33 View Post
    Raina I think you could be correct on that note, from what I was told by a person that I know that knows them personaly and she was telling me that they have been swamped with orders. An for them to get a tail done with a monofin is a great price on a budget. An there quality of there tail is quit well. I love my tail from them And most likely order another tail from them for my daughter.

Does anyone know where they order their supplies from ?

monofins comes from finis which frequently go out of stock this time of year. Common issues with many tail makers. Try to buy ahead, but you know. I dont have a tail from them, never ordered, so I dont know. I do feel bad though that everyone is replying to a thread literally a year old. Would be great to start a new one about current issues

Junior Member Pod of the Great Lakes
    Great idea. I am going to go post right now.

I ordered one from them back on August 4th for my birthday and it's still processing. They emailed me earlier saying that my orders (tail and bikini) should be shipped this weekend. I read a review on here saying that the poster's mermagica tail came in the wrong color....I hope that doesn't happen to me because the tail I ordered, the Dragon tail, looks good in black. Plus, well, this is my first mermaid tail that I'll be getting and I'd love for everything to go well after the frustration with them that I've experienced.

I do know that I won't be going through them again. The next retailer I wanna try is The 2 Tails, which seems more legit. I checked their Facebook page for comparison and it looks like people are a LOT more happier with them than people on FB were with mermagica.