Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is the best place to order neoprene from?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel

Where is the best place to order neoprene from?

Curious about where to get sheets of neoprene and how much it costs. Anybody know?

I got mine from foamorder.com
    It seems lkike nice stuff, haven't tested it yet, though.
    A huge 50" by 80" sheet is less than $100 for most thicknesses.
    It came all nicely rolled up and everything. They also sell heavy duty thread.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I got mine from macro international. They have pretty good prices.
    http://www.macrointlco.com/

If you have a Jo Ann's Fabric store near you some of them carry 2mm neoprene for $19 per yard. I usually wait for my 50% off coupon and get 2 yards for $20 total!

Actually, Joann's is phasing out their neoprene. Most of them no longer have it.

What a shame. I live just down the road from a really big Joann's store. Still might check it out though.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    What would be a good needle to buy for sewing neoprene?

Junior Member Pod of The South
    I wanted to let ya'll know that OnlineFabricStore.com sells neoprene (3 colors only, though). I recently ordered 4 sheets and it got here in less than 3 days! Despite seeing negative reviews, I'm glad I gave them the benefit of a doubt.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MerAnthony's Avatar
    Add MerAnthony on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Photine View Post
    I ordered mine from them as well an I got 2 sheets of 2mm soothskin. They are 7 foot long a 4 feet wide. Now I live in upstate NYan the shippin was $27.00 so the total order came to $144.90.
    Item: Neoprene sheet, approximately 51" x 83", Black, 2 mm, with Plain backing
    Notes: Plain surface is smooth skin
    Quantity: 2
    Price Ea.: $58.80
    Extended: $117.60
    ================================================== =======

Subtotal: $117.60
    Tax: $0.00
    ORDER SUBTOTAL: $117.60
    (Shipping and handling charges may apply, as described
    online during the checkout process.) plus $27.00 shipping
    Be Happy Swim Free

Does anyone know who will ship neoprene to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Photine View Post
    hey so quick question how many sheets did you have to order to make the whole tail and fluke work??
    im new to american units and dont get th measurments on ther site
    they seam to be the cheepest but i not shure how much i need.
    how much did you need?
    and how fast did it ship?

One sheet is usually enough for one tail, with a bit left over for extra fins. As a larger girl, I used one sheet to make a tail, and a belt, and hip fins, and a small dorsal fin.

Is the 1.5mm too thin for making a good tail? I ask because my primary machine can be wimpy, and yes, half a mm doesn't seem like that big of a deal, but it bears asking, since that amounts to 1mm of sewing thickness.

You'll be fine with 1.5 mm. It just won't be as buoyant.

I got. My neoprene from my local frabric land for 20$

That really doesn't sound right, are you sure it isn't neoprin?

I just talked to a guy named Ryan at Macro International. They are a neoprene wholesale company. They can accommodate us mers with smaller orders (instead of the bulk orders they typically handle) and their prices are great! They don't have as wide of a variety of colors as some of the other, more expensive retail places, but here's what he quoted me today. 1 sheet, 49" x 89" (with the typical +/- 5% that all of the others also quote), nylon lined on both sides, 1.5mm, is $36.96. You would have to call to find out what they have available at a given time, since they are actually a wholesaler and can only accommodate the smaller quantities with what they have current in stock, but tell him you're a mer and what you need it for. He was a huge help to me. He said this is high quality, closed cell foam neoprene and they sell to most of the major quality wetsuit manufacturers. I will be ordering mine this week, just need to double check my measurements to make sure I'm getting enough. (I am plus size and want a larger fluke, so thinking 3 sheets) I have been all over the internet and couldn't beat this price anywhere.

Just a word of warning... call before you order from most places (unless you're getting the info here from someone who already has ordered) to make sure it is wetsuit quality and waterproof. There is apparently a new fad for neoprene clothing that is NOT designed to wear as wetsuit/underwater wear. I almost made that mistake and could have wasted $100+ on fabric that would have turned out to be useless. When you call just ask if it's designed for making wetsuits.

http://www.macrointlco.com/
    Formerly known as bettababy

Getting ready to order some 2mm neoprene from Foamorder and I think I can get away with the "half neoprene sheets" since I'm not doing the fluke. Does it need to be nylon on both sides? But it looks like the price would only come out to around $50? Maybe I am miscalculating how much I need, based on everyone else's amounts and prices they paid?

Banned
    Follow MermaidAnnabella On Twitter
    Visit MermaidAnnabella's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Marla View Post
    If you have a Jo Ann's Fabric store near you some of them carry 2mm neoprene for $19 per yard. I usually wait for my 50% off coupon and get 2 yards for $20 total!

How much does 2 yards cover? Like your entire tail body, and if so, how tall are you?