Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recreating the Mertailor Pirate Fluke. (For Personal Use Only).

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    Omg I'm so pleased I came across this thread. I love how you've dont the fluke and cant wait to see the finished tail. I really wanna make my own silicone tail too.

Sent from my SM-G960F using MerNetwork mobile app
    Omg thank you so much for the kind words! It had been a tough experience, but also incredible rewarding! The things im learning can definitely help me in my future career prospects and it makes me feel proud that i will have something that i made instead of bought! (Though there is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a tail. I plan to buy a finfolk in the future).

Okay friends, I am back!

I bought more silicone and I ended up finishing sealing my power mesh body double and I decided to go ahead and attach it to the fluke.

[IMG]0471F523-01AF-4BD4-B6D8-4B6820B396AB by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]9F8294C0-59F4-48B3-AC17-58AD9AAFDF52 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

starting tomorrow I’m gonna begin the process of laying down the cakes. I also decided I’m for sure going to be adding ankle fins and a waist fin so I have to buy more clay to sculpt those. We’re in the end stretch guys!

So pretty! Have you decided how you're going to paint it? (I saw your color scheme, which is GORGEOUS, I mean like what process are you going to use to get the color on there.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    So pretty! Have you decided how you're going to paint it? (I saw your color scheme, which is GORGEOUS, I mean like what process are you going to use to get the color on there.)
    Hey Lily! I actually changed the color scheme and ended up going for greens instead, but I plan to keep my original color sheet for future reference when I make another tail! I’m probably going to paint it by hand since I’m not in the position to buy a airbrush system :’( After I’m done with the scales I’m going to get some Novocs. I’ve already bought the mica pigments I’m going to be using and completed a new color sheet and I’m excited. The colors are gorgeous!;

[IMG]5749532D-02B0-4830-8912-B8BF695E1C10 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]CA6EBE71-E302-4BA9-A820-B24FDF7D7F70 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Also, I realized that there were some baggy places in my tail from where the duck tape double stretched out the mesh material. I’m going to have to hem the ankles, knees and waist a bit. Other than the the tail fits pretty good and feels secure!

Nice! I just got my first Eye Candy pigments too. They are so dang pretty. Your new color scheme is gorgeous - classic but not boring. Can't want to see it come to life!

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    Nice! I just got my first Eye Candy pigments too. They are so dang pretty. Your new color scheme is gorgeous - classic but not boring. Can't want to see it come to life!
    Are you documenting a new tail soon? If you do I can’t wait to see how the pigments work for you! I used your tailmaking thread a lot for reference when starting my journey and it was so helpful Thank you for the feedback! It’s really keeping me motivated ❤️

Quote Originally Posted by MerRaeofSunshine View Post
    Are you documenting a new tail soon? If you do I can’t wait to see how the pigments work for you! I used your tailmaking thread a lot for reference when starting my journey and it was so helpful Thank you for the feedback! It’s really keeping me motivated ❤️
    Aww, you're so sweet! I'm glad my thread was helpful! I don't have any plans to document a tail start to finish any time soon, but I will be hopefully reopening for tail orders next month!

What pigments are you using please?
    Hey Lily! I actually changed the color scheme and ended up going for greens instead, but I plan to keep my original color sheet for future reference when I make another tail! I’m probably going to paint it by hand since I’m not in the position to buy a airbrush system :’( After I’m done with the scales I’m going to get some Novocs. I’ve already bought the mica pigments I’m going to be using and completed a new color sheet and I’m excited. The colors are gorgeous!;

[IMG]5749532D-02B0-4830-8912-B8BF695E1C10 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]CA6EBE71-E302-4BA9-A820-B24FDF7D7F70 by Desirae Powell, on Flickr[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by the.tattooed.mermaid78 View Post
    What pigments are you using please?

The pigments I’m using are from a brand called Eye Candy on Amazon. The dark color is Dark Ocean Green and the lighter one is Okinawa Green.

I can't wait to see this finished! There's a fluke from him that he discontinued that I want to recreate

Sent from my SM-A102U using MerNetwork mobile app

What clay did you use

Quote Originally Posted by TheMermaidArtemis View Post
    I can't wait to see this finished! There's a fluke from him that he discontinued that I want to recreate

Thank you Artemis! What fluke are you interested in?
    And as for clay I used the Plastilina Brand which is sulfur free and doesn’t dry. I used a hairdryer to heat it up which made it easier to work with and I smoothed it out with rubbing alcohol and flat paintbrushes

Thank you Artemis! What fluke are you interested in?
    And as for clay I used the Plastilina Brand which is sulfur free and doesn’t dry. I used a hairdryer to heat it up which made it easier to work with and I smoothed it out with rubbing alcohol and flat paintbrushes
    The massive fluke he use to have I don't remember what it was called I'll try to upload a pic