Thread: New "Siren" Coming to TV 2018

New "Siren" Coming to TV 2018

It looks like we're finally getting a new mermaid show on TV! Freeform released a trailer for their new show, "Siren," which will be released Summer 2018. They announced they were producing the pilot last year under the name "The Deep," but there wasn't any news beyond that until yesterday. It's looking a little dark for my tastes, but I'm excited to be getting a new mermaid show - and a more mature drama, at that! I've wanted to see something like Dyesebel come to America for ages, and while this seems more grim than the Dyesebel shows, I'm still pretty pumped!

Lifetime also announced last year they were producing a mermaid pilot based on "Sea Change" by Aimee Freedman. I checked out the book and really liked it, but found it interesting that the book is just about a town with strong mermaid mythology. It looks like, if the show is picked up, they'll be adding actual merpeople to the story. I hope this show gets picked up too, it would be great to have more than H2O & Mako Mermaids to enjoy.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    NOT AVAILABLE TO WATCH IN MY COUNTRY BAAAH *flips the table* why does youtube do that? *runs to a IP spoofer*

ok it's on FB if anyone can't get it to work on youtube

https://www.facebook.com/Freeform/vi...4705265015674/

Lol YouTube. I watched the trailer, what is with all these new horror tv shows? They seem to be really popular right now. I'll watch a few episodes, to see what it's about. It looks interesting.

Interesting looking fluke! For some scenes the tail is CGI but in the last scene of the Siren hitting the guy underwater her tail looked a lot like an H2O tail with the short dorsal and the overall shape and movement, etc.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woo my friend is a pro free diver and I just found out she worked on this! I am bugging her for details hahaha

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    AAAAA this looks so cool!
    I'm excited to see where they take this idea~
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Interesting looking fluke! For some scenes the tail is CGI but in the last scene of the Siren hitting the guy underwater her tail looked a lot like an H2O tail with the short dorsal and the overall shape and movement, etc.
    I noticed this! When I thought it was just CGI I was kind of hoping they'd change the tail before the show premiers next year, but since it's definitely a costume in some places I guess we're probably looking at the final design. I don't think the tail is bad, per se, but I'm a bit confused by the choice to have the spine appear to go longer than the fins do. It's possible everything will be different though, since this could just be footage from the pilot, and the show has already changed a lot of the details from the pilot. According to the IMDB page the mermaid's name is Po, but in all the new descriptions her name is Ryn. Who knows!

so I just found out one of my free diving friends worked on the free diving show, being the safety free diver for the stunt actress and the main actress. She said the mermaid tail is a costume, not CGI and that it took a lot of work to get the kick right because of how it's made! I asked her specifically, is it a costume, CGI, or a mix of both? And she said costume and she posted some BTS pics but I can't post them there. IT'S REALLY ELABORATE. I can't confirm, but It looks like the same studio that did the h20 tails I'm going to look into it.

This was a TV series called "The Deep" but it's been changed to Siren. so that's why IMDB will change

I love the tail and unusual fluke shape! Dark mermaid shows haven't succeeded for me in the past but it's fun to see any mermaid media. I'm excited! Glad I saw this, hope it's as good as it looks or better.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by theMermaidBoy View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the choice to have the spine appear to go longer than the fins do.
    Probably to make it look more predatory (as opposed to harmless mermaids).
    My first thought was that it looked like a stingray.

I love the look of it. The entire thing could be a blast.
    It's high time for more serious grown-up mermaids films and shows, not all that angsty teen and kid entertainment.

It seems that the mermaids used to be peaceful until they were almost wiped out. Now it's like a mermaids revenge story lol. I think this looks interesting like others have said I like that tail. Has anyone seen any other shots of the tail? I'm looking for some close ups that fluke is very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    It's high time for more serious grown-up mermaids films and shows, not all that angsty teen and kid entertainment.
    SERIOUSLY. I am ready so beyond for this. Come to think of it, it looks a LOT like the tail from "Killer Mermaid" which I thought was a stupid movie
    but I watched it anyway. The fact that not enough mermaid content is produced & I have very little choices to get my fix from is the reason I will watch pretty much anything even if it's corny.
    So far the coolest thing I have seen lately was the tails from "The Lure" because of the fact that they had the tails actually made.
    It was bizarro as hell but I loved it.
    After having seen the trailer, it looks like they definitely will have some really good scenes/shots of a professionally made fx studio tail.
    It seems like the eel and creepy dark mermaid tails are more popular lately & I am ALLLL about it.
    Freeform has also come out with a ton of great shows so I won't be surprised if this one takes the cake.
    ~<3
    If you could be so kind as to like my page, I'd appreciate it:
    https://www.facebook.com/patchesthemermaid/

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    Still filming the first season here in Vancouver. Just had one of the costumers come in to buy mens costumes. I've no new info that you can't get from this trailer though. Very dark take in the mermaid lore, sounds as if there are multiple Sirens in the show with aprx 200 cast members (according to the costumer) it's hard to say how many will actually feature in the first season and whether larger numbers will feature in flashbacks rather than present day.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    This looks like it could be cool, I'll have to check it out.

I still wish we could get a series or a movie about merfolk with most/all of it taking place underwater. It's always "mermaid goes on land for some reason, probably love". I hope we can at least get some cool underwater scenes here, it looks like they might do that.

The tail meration made for the promotion of this show was sooo cool!!

Looks like I'm late to post mine about this series lololol I was just so excited to tell you guys that I forgot to check if there was already an existing thread 🤣🤣🤤

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk