Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Mako Mermaids/Island of Secrets News

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    mermaid Jaffa. your right they do look softer i noticed that too. in season two the fluke tips would be flexible but now they really seem to move. it makes me wonder how they get good propulsion. I have seen the first 2 eps. Excellent so far. Love Welin's humour.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    mermaid Jaffa. your right they do look softer i noticed that too. in season two the fluke tips would be flexible but now they really seem to move. it makes me wonder how they get good propulsion. I have seen the first 2 eps. Excellent so far. Love Welin's humour.
    In that Making Of videos for previous seasons, they said that they put monofins inside of the tails and that's why it looks so stiff.

Maybe this time around, they didn't use monofins but instead use a harder type of silicone that has the same flex and movement of a rubber monofin? It does look more natural this season, like a real fish tail is supposed to be.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I can't wait to finally see Cariba Heine (Rikki) again! Apparently she guest stars in the final 2 episodes.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod lynsea's Avatar
    Watching the new season now. I love this show. Of course it's a little ridiculous but one thing I can't help laughing at is their portrayal of aquarium (marine park) management. The gift shop girl would NOT be asked to step in for a dolphin trainer It's like there are 10 people tops working there. Ok, rant over.
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

No spoilers please guys! Some of us haven't seen the new espisodes yet and for us here in Australia we have to wait a week in between each episode, so we won't have seen all episodes for a few months yet!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    I'll be vague. For a certain character, in a certain episode, at a certain time, for a specific reason: OUCH! Vague enough?

You just ruined it all! HOW COULD YOU?! You are just like [redacted] from that episode where [redacted] and [redacted] [redacted] because of [redacted]. Except you're less [redacted] than [redacted].

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Everyone quit with the spoilers!!! I want to watch it in my own time and not have the series ruined with "hints".
    Formerly known as ireneho

If this is a discussion forum about the show then I think we should have the right to discuss it. I can make a new thread about Season 3/4 if that helps but my suggestion is to avoid similar threads.
    “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.”
    Anaïs Nin

Quote Originally Posted by lynsea View Post
    If this is a discussion forum about the show then I think we should have the right to discuss it. I can make a new thread about Season 3/4 if that helps but my suggestion is to avoid similar threads.
    I think it's OK to discuss the new season as long as you're not revealing any major plot points. I don't think anyone's broken that rule yet.

Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    I think it's OK to discuss the new season as long as you're not revealing any major plot points. I don't think anyone's broken that rule yet.

Ok well that seems a little ridiculous. I'm making a new thread so we can actually discuss it because if we can't talk about the plot, then what's the point?
    Anaïs Nin

Ok well that seems a little ridiculous. I'm making a new thread so we can actually discuss it because if we can't talk about the plot, then what's the point?
    Did you end up making that thread? I just finished Season 4. It was so great. I'm going to have to rewatch it now!!

Mako Mermaids is getting a movie focused around Weilan set in Shanghai.

Anaïs Nin

Mako Mermaids is getting a movie focused around Weilan set in Shanghai.

You beat me to it, I was JUST about to post this!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Something I've been wondering
    exactly how long are the tails from Mako Mermaids
    like how much length do they add to the actors' bodies?
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

Look here for a thread on extended tails. I seem to recall a graphic showing one of the H2O girls with a grid on it.
    There are also a number of you tube videos showing making the H2O tails.

Another place to look is for production images the Film "fishtales." (2007 Billy Zane/Kelly Brook) which was done by the same FX studio. I downloaded a graphic showing the internal structure of that tail. Where the straps attach etc. I found the image "fishtales03.jpg" using an image search. I see it was linked in this post http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...ll=1#post38376 however the link is broken. The image however does appear in a google image search on a Russian page.

The short answer is that it shows from fluke to the toes as about the same as the toes to the knee. The extender rod seems to be about the size of the calf to the toes. So the tails are quite extended.

Now if Netflix would bring back H2O (original) And Ocean Girl ...

I find Mako island difficult to re watch. Some of the episodes, they are not in the tails at all.

The cartoon is cute though, and I tend to re watch some of those.

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by mersheep View Post

Now if Netflix would bring back H2O (original) And Ocean Girl ...
    YES!!!! H2O and Ocean Girl are the best!!!

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    YES!!!! H2O and Ocean Girl are the best!!!

I remember ocean girl. I used to watch it when I was younger
    Sink or Swim

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Jon View Post
    I remember ocean girl. I used to watch it when I was younger
    Yeah I am not old enough for that (born 3 years later)...I would have loved to watch it when it first aired, but I am glad I found it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    Yeah I am not old enough for that (born 3 years later)...I would have loved to watch it when it first aired, but I am glad I found it!

You make me feel old. I was 50 when it was on Netflix (mid life crisis?) I see it originally aired in the late 1990s. So I still would have been in my late 30s.

it seems it was called Ocean Odyssey in some markets. A bit better title. Same production company and explains why there is a UFO spaceship on the credits.

Surprised Mako did not take that route, the crashed ET plot. I did like that the bad girl of one series became the focus and protagonist of later series. Lessons learned. Their was some recasting that made some of the later seasons to feel a bit awkward.

edit: The best thing of Ocean Girl was that one of the kid actors, became one of the directors of H2O, and I think did some of the better re-watchable episodes. I think his name was Jeffery Walker. (too lazy to look it up)