Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ☆ Tail Care and Maintenance, The Official Thread ☆

Full or partial latex? I had similar measurements and my neoprene and [real] latex tail went over my hips/butt just fine.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Full latex. Do you use different lubricants for latex?
    Is it easier to put on dry or wet?

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Morgann's Avatar
    The mighty waters of the Great Salt Lake.
    Add Mermaid Morgann on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    If you have a neoprene or neoprene backed tail you can use Suit Slip (linked in original post, 4th bullet down). The makers of Suit Slip say it's fine for silicone tails as well, but I don't know anyone else who has used it for a full silicone tail. Some use hair conditioner, but I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I have a full silicone tail and swear by using SuitSlip. The bottles are a bit pricey if you're doing a weekend-long convention because you use up quite a bit of it getting in and out, but so far it's been my favorite thing.
    RAINBOWS AND MERMAIDS

ARE PROOF THAT IMAGINATION AND BEAUTY

GO HAND IN HAND.

-B. FITZGERALD

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I have a thread about how I have used Lysol wipes with some success listed here with some pics: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...sides-of-tails

I also have a video I made about how I clean my tail, with tips on how others can clean tails, showing me doing it

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Just checking here first to be safe: I know the thread says that warm water is no good for full silicone tails and that hot tubs are pretty much a no-go. Now that it's winter... are heated pools ok?
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Heat is generally fine. Its more an issue with glue less an issue with actual silicone. They boil silicone to disinfect it and dragonskin is medical grade. Don't over think this folks. A warm pool is fine lol. I had my tail in hot tubs loads and never had issues.

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Heat is generally fine. Its more an issue with glue less an issue with actual silicone. They boil silicone to disinfect it and dragonskin is medical grade. Don't over think this folks. A warm pool is fine lol. I had my tail in hot tubs loads and never had issues.
    Thank you for the advice. I'm just worried about hurting it. I tend to be way over cautious with stuff like this. Thanks for clearing things up
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Has anyone ever tried Sliquid H2O lube? I'm kinda thinking it's expensive (it's like $12.99 for a 4.2 fl oz bottle) but it's vegan, more high-grade, and was featured on "Oh Joy, Sex Toy" as a great, simple, no-frills personal lubricant. NOTE: THIS SITE IS NSFW AND NSFC. If you don't know what that means, it means "not safe for work" and "not safe for children/minors." Have any of you used it? Or do you have any other brand recommendations besides the ones already made?
    That sea-maid's form of pearly light,
    Was whiter than the downy spray,
    And round her bosom, heaving bright,
    Her glossy, yellow ringlets play.
    -"The Mermaid", John Leyden

Nicole and Kat's MerNetwork

I would recommend J-lube. It's a waterbased lube that you blend yourself from a powder. From a bottle you get 8 gallons of lube. It's very cheap.

I installed j hooks to put up my tail. Here's the thing: because my monofin is huge I had to use 4 so it doesn't fall or bring down the wall. Here's another thing: the fluke is flopping about and not staying still. I need some sort of attachment at the top of my tail so it doesn't move (I want t up against the wall)
    any suggestions?
    The SeaGlass Siren

Just to clarify it's a finis competitor
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I use Adreno Wetsuit and Swimwear wash, it neutralizes the chlorine and gets rid of the smell. Just one little squirt from the bottle into a full bucket of cold water is enough to wash a fishsuit, wetsuit (in winter I wear a wetsuit), tail, goggles and fin straps. I let it soak for 1 hour before rinsing and hang to dry in shade.
    http://www.wetsuitwarehouse.com.au/b...ear-wash-500ml
    Formerly known as ireneho

Hi I need help fixing the hip fins on my tail?? it looks like this
    Name:  zzzzzzzz.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  167.8 KB

and unfortunately while i was doing a gig a kid was a little too rough on one of the hip fins and it ripped about halfway up.. I have just gotten a kit of dragonskin silicone and was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me to make sure I repair it correctly and smoothly.
    Thank you!!!

~Mermaid Echo

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieVex View Post
    unfortunately while i was doing a gig a kid was a little too rough on one of the hip fins and it ripped about halfway up..
    I hope that child apologized!! I'm furious to read that she damaged that amazing tail from Raven
    Did her parents apologize as well?

If a child ripped a tail while someone was wearing it, would it be mean to scream like you were in pain? Haha I'm totally joking.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Imogen Finnly View Post
    If a child ripped a tail while someone was wearing it, would it be mean to scream like you were in pain? Haha I'm totally joking.

Why not? I totally act like my tail is ticklish! (nicked that idea from Raina...there's a video of a little boy sneaking a touch at one of her hospital visits, and she twitched and he ran away!)

*cues fake blood*
    Haha that's amazing. I suppsose it would also teach kids to be gentle and what not.

cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

and unfortunately while i was doing a gig a kid was a little too rough on one of the hip fins and it ripped about halfway up.. I have just gotten a kit of dragonskin silicone and was just wondering if anyone has any tips for me to make sure I repair it correctly and smoothly.
    For your future gigs you could maybe include in your contract that it'd be customers duty to pay the repairs if something like this happens? I have on my "terms and conditions" a section which says that(includes all my accessories too). I also had to add there a section which says that I need someone from orderer's party to make sure that kids won't pull me from hair or the fluke, or rip my accessories off or anything... And this was because of my latest experience in a two hours swimming hall gig, it was quite a chaos(there was also this one little sweetheart who kept spitting mouthfulls of water straight to my face). When you add there some numbers (in worst case tail repair being over 1000usd etc.) customers really might give a thought for that.
    Frosty Mermaid from the lonely Lapland <3

* Etsy * Youtube * Facebook * Instagram *

Quote Originally Posted by Imogen Finnly View Post
    *cues fake blood*

That would be incredible. If only I could rig that up....
    Find me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and my WEBSITE
    Formerly known as Madison Juliette

Hi I need help fixing the hip fins on my tail?? it looks like this
    Name:  zzzzzzzz.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  167.8 KB

Thank you!!!

~Mermaid Echo
    I just cried a little inside 'cause I madly love your tail :< this made me SO damn sad! Your tail was one of my sources of inspiration when designing my finfolk tail..
    As for repair I have had similar experiences too. My fluke ends (in my pink mertailor) were torn once off by enthusiastic kids and my fins have had their share too :/ i would highly recommend Smooth On's silpoxy! I always have a tube of silpoxy with me, it's the only thing that really works. It creates a very strong bond between parts and I've used it to repair and also resize my old tail, both seams. Tried just using dragon skin as adhensive but it had hard time bonding to parts resulting them falling off when under hard stress. Silpoxy stays and so far all my fins are still attached after multiple beatings and reattaching. Hit me with PM if you want to, I'm more than happy to help!