Thread: Underwater Instruments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bit of a necropost but I have recently learned that ocarinas are actually historic instruments not just from video games and I am obsessed. I bought two, but theres one thats shaped like a little shark that I want (and a few other water critters) that hangs on a necklace and I was curious if they would 1) work under water (although using precious air to play an instrument instead of stay under seems kinda dumb) and 2) if it would damage the instrument to be submerged. One of my thoughts was not necessarily playing under water, but that I wear it around my neck while swimming and play it above water.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theMerFanc View Post
    Bit of a necropost but I have recently learned that ocarinas are actually historic instruments not just from video games and I am obsessed. I bought two, but theres one thats shaped like a little shark that I want (and a few other water critters) that hangs on a necklace and I was curious if they would 1) work under water (although using precious air to play an instrument instead of stay under seems kinda dumb) and 2) if it would damage the instrument to be submerged. One of my thoughts was not necessarily playing under water, but that I wear it around my neck while swimming and play it above water.
    It depends on the material if it would get damaged, I guess. If I am not too mistaken there are some made of burned clay or even metal. They should be quite water resistant and survive a swim.

But you won't be able to actually play them under water. It was an experiment they did on TV, trying a trumpet, a guitar and a violin. The only instrument that actually worked somehow was the violin, due to the strings being constantly excited by the bow, although it would be quite ruined after that. The trumpet didn't work at all, and the same will go for all air-based instruments.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

That's really neat! I'm surprised the violin worked but not the guitar considering it's the rosin on the bow that grips and agitates the string to play and the rosin would dissolve in water. The shark ocarina specifically and most of the ones I've looked at are clay, however there are a few beginner pones that are plastic.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc