Thread: Greetings from Germany

Junior Member Euro Pod

Greetings from Germany

Hello Merfolk!

I'm a new mer from Germany (Cologne area) and just got my first ever monofin. Next step is finding an affordable place to get used to it.
    Most of my local pools only allow Flippers, but no monofins beacuse there would not be enogh space. A few pools offer classes for tail swimming, but ban fins at any other time. To be honest, 35€ [~40$] extra per hour might be fair for a class on safety and/or technique, but way too much for just swimming laps or picking up diving rings. What do you think? Anyone with advice or similar experience?

Aside from that I'm into costume design and handicrafts as well as Stephen King novels and Batman villians. My preferred pronouns are they/them (or she/her). It would be nice to find some people to swim with.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod
    Wilkommen! Ich lerne Deutsch ^_^ I'm far from fluent though!

Good luck finding a pool!
    -Siren Gita
    Blue ocean "siren"
    -rulesNazi

User formerly known as derBears

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Welcome to the site
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Hey, wonderful having more merms (in training ) from germany here!
    And I can feel your problem. Most pools here have these kinds of strict rules too. But I learned that sometimes you can get them to bend it a bit, especially when a) you're a regular and b) the pool is empty enough. Works best when the pool has an indoor and outdoor section, the outdoor one is open but the weather is still a bit too cold for many guests.

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    I really would recommend getting freediving courses and a certification, it makes things so much easier here if you can show the pool staff that you know what you are doing. Plus, you will likely find a swimming/diving buddy during the course.

Apart from that, getting a course helps building your skills and confidence in the water.

Plus, when you are certified and have a buddy, there are several indoor dive centers which allow freediving mers.

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    P.S.: Welcome to the network!

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Thanks. Feel free to PM me if you want to practice.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Agreed. We have an outdoor pool that was pretty open to let me use flippers in the morning. Most pools are empty enough, or rather too empty, since they often struggle for existence.

Oh yeah. 'Bädersterben'; the worst word in my dictionary since ever ^^'

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    I really would recommend getting freediving courses and a certification, it makes things so much easier here if you can show the pool staff that you know what you are doing. Plus, you will likely find a swimming/diving buddy during the course.

Apart from that, getting a course helps building your skills and confidence in the water.

Plus, when you are certified and have a buddy, there are several indoor dive centers which allow freediving mers.

That's a good idea! I'm working on getting my rescue swimming badge this summer, but haven't seriously thought about a diving certification.
    I have a budy for swimmig with flippers and he would be interested in monofins as well, but more people is more fun for everyone.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by SirenGita View Post
    Wilkommen! Ich lerne Deutsch ^_^ I'm far from fluent though!

Good luck finding a pool!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
    Thanks. Feel free to PM me if you want to practice.

Should have used quotes here. ^^'